Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Matthew Boyd pushes himself - and teammates - to the limit

Glenn McFarlane - Sunday Herald Sun - 11 July

WESTERN
    Bulldogs midfielder Matthew Boyd makes no apologies for who he is or what he is relentlessly striving for.

If that offends some people, tough luck. If a few happen to be teammates, that's just the way it is.

But if it leads to a premiership for the Bulldogs, all the hard work and tough assessments on himself, and on those around him, will be a distant memory.

Speaking at the Bulldogs' best and fairest night last year - having attained his first Charles Sutton Medal, just after being selected as an All-Australian for the first time - he acknowledged that he might appear to be too hard on teammates sometimes. He even said that a few of them might not like him at times because of his direct nature.

Article in full...
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Matthew Boyd pushes himself - and teammates - to the limit

Great article, was just reading it actually... next skipper, for mine..
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

I love this bit.

Boyd really hates losing. He once lost to his wife, Kate, in a ping pong game, and didn't speak to her for a few days.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    Great article, was just reading it actually... next skipper, for mine..
    Agreed

bold-dogg Guest

Agreed. A great game today against Caarlton. Almost like he was responding to the "lack a gamebreaker" criticism the Bulldogs copped earlier in the week.

Post Thanks / Like

This article is further proof why he should be our next captain.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desipura View Post
    This article is further proof why he should be our next captain.
    Here Here
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

For a guy who hates losing his defensive efforts (picking up an opponent) are pretty shotty.

Watched him really closely today and although he was great offensively he doesn't source his man well enough when we don't have the ball.

Spends too much time wandering around when he should be on the move.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't get me wong, I Adore Matthew as a Player. But I believe that with the position he plays and the intensity that he puts into both Training and the game, I believe that the pressure of being captain may take away a bit of his game.
    For me I'd like to see Murph as the next captain.
    I believe whether he plays Back or Forward He has the expertise to Direct the team, where as a Dominant Midfielder, Matt or Crossy, who I both hold within our top 3 players, directs the Play.
    Before people whack me, Johnno is not a midfielder and has been one of the best Captains in our club's history.
    I think that the dominant player that is seeing the game from outside the centre "MAY" be the better person for the job.
    As for Gia..... I haven't seen him really "LEAD"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shnookie View Post
    Don't get me wong, I Adore Matthew as a Player. But I believe that with the position he plays and the intensity that he puts into both Training and the game, I believe that the pressure of being captain may take away a bit of his game.
    For me I'd like to see Murph as the next captain.
    I believe whether he plays Back or Forward He has the expertise to Direct the team, where as a Dominant Midfielder, Matt or Crossy, who I both hold within our top 3 players, directs the Play.
    Before people whack me, Johnno is not a midfielder and has been one of the best Captains in our club's history.
    I think that the dominant player that is seeing the game from outside the centre "MAY" be the better person for the job.
    Me too Shnookie, the only query on him would be his body. But for leadership on the field and as the face of our club he would be hard to go pass.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shnookie View Post
    He took a pretty good pack mark on the lead against Hawthorn against two opponents.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    He took a pretty good pack mark on the lead against Hawthorn against two opponents.
    Every football player in the country has done that at least once.

You always bring up individual moments like this to support a much bigger case. The point of this scenario is that Gia doesn't do it nearly enough.

I love Boyd's passion (especially after he kicks a goal) but like a few others, I want to see an improvement in his defensive game.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=The Bulldogs Bite;164053]

You always bring up individual moments like this to support a much bigger case. The point of this scenario is that Gia doesn't do it nearly enough.

QUOTE]

Well you on the other hand say ' haven't when you probably should say 'rarely' or 'hardly ever' .

You said " As for Gia..... I haven't seen him really "LEAD"

Well...you have.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus