Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Bulldogs lost and found

Mike Sheahan - Herald Sun - 12 July

FINALLY, the Western Bulldogs have presented themselves in the daring, stylish form expected by so many at the start of the season.

Admittedly, it was our expectations rather than anything they promised, yet 2010 was seen widely as the club's year of opportunity, and the Doggies were on show in all their glory at Etihad Stadium.

What a dream weekend for them.

Fremantle dropped a critical game to Richmond on Saturday night to leave it vulnerable in fourth place and the Bulldogs, fifth, responded next evening by smashing Carlton, sixth.

Article in full...
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bulldogs lost and found

Thanks for jumping back on the bandwagon Mike.

Carlton were as bad as we were good and to think that because of that result we are back in contention is pretty poor. Yes, it was super important to win and we did show some good signs, but we still have a long way to go.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike Sheahan is a total muppet, but I have to disagree, Mantis… It was a solid performance, we didn't take the foot off the gas like we usually do (the last quarter we saved some legs for the six-day-turnaround to Darwin) and we finished the game having played 4 solid quarters of good football. It's not our fault Carlton were shit — on the form we showed last night (and indeed, against Hawthorn last week, even though we lost) we are well on track. Not there yet, but on the right path…

Post Thanks / Like

Dream on if we think that the big sides will let us play touch footy come finals time.

AS much as I don't want to admit it, Terry Wallace summed it up perfectly when he said that we are by far and away the best shoot out team in the comp. When it comes to touch footy, our kicking skills are the best in the league and the style we developed in 06 is hard to stop if we are allowed to play it.

We have devised a more defensive game plan and we are rarely scored against heavily, which is what wins premierships. However, we need to find a way to work more cohesively as a unit to be able to go forward with purpose.

We have been so erratic going forward it's as though Im watching another side. It could be the combination of a more taxing game style we play which effects decision making and skill execution, the predictability of our forward structure and not protecting our prime movers as much as we should.

I've said it a million times, If Coons and Griff get the same protection that Hayes and Ablett get at stoppages from team mates we will be a much better side.

Against good sides they are tagged to within an inch of their lives and it seems that no one wants to sacrifice to block and help create space. I love Crossy and Boyd but they have to start to realise their limitations and as they showed last night and give it to the blokes who can use it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TAMA View Post
    I've said it a million times, If Coons and Griff get the same protection that Hayes and Ablett get at stoppages from team mates we will be a much better side.

Against good sides they are tagged to within an inch of their lives and it seems that no one wants to sacrifice to block and help create space. I love Crossy and Boyd but they have to start to realise their limitations and as they showed last night and give it to the blokes who can use it.
    Important points here.

When Griffen and Cooney play well - we inevitably win. However, they rarely both play well against the top sides. Cooney couldn't get free against Hawthorn and Griffen was run down by Bateman and Ellis all night. We saw again what they can really do last night against Carlton - we have to devise numerous plans to maximise that against Geelong, St. Kilda, Collingwood and Hawthorn.

As you said, much of it comes down to Cross and Boyd. FWIW I think Cross has had a very good year after the first month or so, and generally plays to his limitations. Boyd needs to change. He out-played Judd with 33 odd disposals and 2 goals, using the ball well - but it wasn't a high pressure game. Judd still kicked 2 goals and had near 30 disposals too and against a Mitchell or Hodge, that can be the sole difference between winning and losing. We desperately need Boyd to adapt a defensive edge. Picken does a fantastic job week to week at shutting down an outside type, but Boyd needs to smother some of the damaging inside mids if we're to go all the way.

Especially with Higgins nowhere near his best, we need to protect Cooney/Griffen to put us in winning positions.

Post Thanks / Like

Let's be honest you're going to get opponents who you can play like that and you're going to get opponents you can't ! For me it was pleasing to get the forward entries right finally,the problem is we have to get the Geelong balance of tough contested footy and winning the touch footy games like yesterday

cambo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by TAMA View Post
    Dream on if we think that the big sides will let us play touch footy come finals time.

AS much as I don't want to admit it, Terry Wallace summed it up perfectly when he said that we are by far and away the best shoot out team in the comp. When it comes to touch footy, our kicking skills are the best in the league and the style we developed in 06 is hard to stop if we are allowed to play it.

We have devised a more defensive game plan and we are rarely scored against heavily, which is what wins premierships. However, we need to find a way to work more cohesively as a unit to be able to go forward with purpose.

We have been so erratic going forward it's as though Im watching another side. It could be the combination of a more taxing game style we play which effects decision making and skill execution, the predictability of our forward structure and not protecting our prime movers as much as we should.

Why is it that we have to play the other teams game all the time, why cant they play our brand ie touch footy ? it frustrates me that we always have to play defensive against St Kilda and Geelong etc, im sure if we just went for a shootout we would smash them, down the middle direct footy and no one will get close to us

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Important points here.

When Griffen and Cooney play well - we inevitably win. However, they rarely both play well against the top sides. Cooney couldn't get free against Hawthorn and Griffen was run down by Bateman and Ellis all night. We saw again what they can really do last night against Carlton - we have to devise numerous plans to maximise that against Geelong, St. Kilda, Collingwood and Hawthorn.

As you said, much of it comes down to Cross and Boyd. FWIW I think Cross has had a very good year after the first month or so, and generally plays to his limitations. Boyd needs to change. He out-played Judd with 33 odd disposals and 2 goals, using the ball well - but it wasn't a high pressure game. Judd still kicked 2 goals and had near 30 disposals too and against a Mitchell or Hodge, that can be the sole difference between winning and losing. We desperately need Boyd to adapt a defensive edge. Picken does a fantastic job week to week at shutting down an outside type, but Boyd needs to smother some of the damaging inside mids if we're to go all the way.

Especially with Higgins nowhere near his best, we need to protect Cooney/Griffen to put us in winning positions.
    Some good points here TBB and a few from TAMA.

I have been a bit critical of parts of Cross's and Boyd's games both from yesterday and in the past. Both are prodigious ball winners, but have you both have rightly mentioned their defensive duties need to improve and perhaps be redefined. Looking at who we will have to beat in the finals we somehow need these guys to be able to put the likes of Hayes, Dal Santo, Ablett, Bartel, Swan and Pendlebury under a sleeper hold and as yet I'm not sure they are capable of or can play these lock-down roles.

It will be interesting to see how it unfolds.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Some good points here TBB and a few from TAMA.

I have been a bit critical of parts of Cross's and Boyd's games both from yesterday and in the past. Both are prodigious ball winners, but have you both have rightly mentioned their defensive duties need to improve and perhaps be redefined. Looking at who we will have to beat in the finals we somehow need these guys to be able to put the likes of Hayes, Dal Santo, Ablett, Bartel, Swan and Pendlebury under a sleeper hold and as yet I'm not sure they are capable of or can play these lock-down roles.

It will be interesting to see how it unfolds.
    I think we would be happy to break even with Cross and Boyd against that sort of quality. Cooney and Griffen need to be the ones to dominate for us, and setting these guys up is where Cross and Boyd can give us an edge
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    but it wasn't a high pressure game.
    Funny to read Rats in the Herald, ordering his boys to bring mouth guards to next training.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Funny to read Rats in the Herald, ordering his boys to bring mouth guards to next training.

thats the second time i have heard that exact quote in two weeks! One of the SANFL coaches said it the week before after his team got smashed.

Is it the new "taking one week at a time:?