Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Hall and Johnson earn a week off

Peter Hanlon & Michael Gleeson - The Age - 12 July

THE Western Bulldogs are set to make the trip to Darwin this week without Barry Hall or Brad Johnson, but with Jason Akermanis likely to return as the Dogs wrestle the need to rest sore bodies against building on the much-needed momentum gained in yesterday's demolition of Carlton.

After the Bulldogs notched their biggest win against the Blues in their 137 meetings, by 68 points, coach Rodney Eade effectively ruled captain Johnson and full-forward Hall out of the game against Port Adelaide with ankle injuries, with Brennan Stack certain to miss with a hamstring problem.

Eade conceded there was always a risk in resting players, not least against a team playing its first game under a new coach.

Article in full...
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hall and Johnson earn a week off

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post
    Peter Hanlon & Michael Gleeson - The Age - 12 July

THE Western Bulldogs are set to make the trip to Darwin this week without Barry Hall or Brad Johnson, but with Jason Akermanis likely to return as the Dogs wrestle the need to rest sore bodies against building on the much-needed momentum gained in yesterday's demolition of Carlton.

After the Bulldogs notched their biggest win against the Blues in their 137 meetings, by 68 points, coach Rodney Eade effectively ruled captain Johnson and full-forward Hall out of the game against Port Adelaide with ankle injuries, with Brennan Stack certain to miss with a hamstring problem.

Eade conceded there was always a risk in resting players, not least against a team playing its first game under a new coach.

Article in full...
    Not in a million years!

Post Thanks / Like

Crazy talk.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Crazy talk.
    So let's take players who are sore on a 4hr plane trip and then make them run around for 2hrs in hot & humid conditions.

Then we will throw them back on a plane and give them a week to recover before we take on a top 4 team in a game which could well shape our season.

Yep, crazy talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    So let's take players who are sore on a 4hr plane trip and then make them run around for 2hrs in hot & humid conditions.

Then we will throw them back on a plane and give them a week to recover before we take on a top 4 team in a game which could well shape our season.

Yep, crazy talk. :rolleyes:
    What's with the eyerolling Mantis?

It is a must win game this week(in fact they all are for the rest of the year) and I would rather play Barry in bursts then not at all(Johnno's a different story). Port are not going to be easy beats and if we lose this week then next week probably won't shape our season.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

I am definitely concerned about having to rest Barry - and changing up a structure that worked yesterday. But if it has to be done - then I guess this is the week to do it. Very nervous about it though.

Post Thanks / Like

It is a must win game this week(in fact they all are for the rest of the year) and I would rather play Barry in bursts then not at all(Johnno's a different story). Port are not going to be easy beats and if we lose this week then next week probably won't shape our season.
    Agree 100% with Mantis, sorry. We need to be worried about Freo, not Port. We have a good run home, with Freo and Geelong the dangers. Risking our key forward in Round 16 would be beyond stupid.
    Last edited by LostDoggy; 12-07-2010 at 10:42 AM. Reason: Clarification

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, crazy talk.
    Agree 100%. We have enough depth to cover the outs (especially against Port)

Post Thanks / Like

I was being sarcastic so I used the sarcasm 'emoticon'.

Look I don't want to take Port lightly, but I see no need in risking the welfare of our players in a game we should win with a leg in the air.

Post Thanks / Like

Jones coming off good form, a good game week before last and a BOG yesterday has earned the right for a senior berth, and Hall is a 33 year old who has earned the right for a rest.

I really can't see the problem, considering we have been screaming for a more even spread of goalkickers all year.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Look I don't want to take Port lightly, but I see no need in risking the welfare of our players in a game we should win with a leg in the air.
    I would also like to rest Hudson who has manfully carried out his role this year but may be beginning to buckle under the strain

The problem is of course, what if we rest players and then lose?

Irrespective of whether those changes contribute to the result, the Match Committee would be on a hiding to nothing from supporters. One or two of them might even belong to WOOF.

Post Thanks / Like

Fair enough.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

If they are genuinely injured/sore and need some rest then yeah give them a week off. If it's just a rest for the sake of it then no way! We have made our own bed in regards to our ladder position the worst thing we could do is take a team lightly rest players and drop one we shouldn't.

Post Thanks / Like

My Mail is "The Chad" will also miss the flight and will be lining up for Glenelg this week, for his first game there for many years.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Throughandthrough View Post
    My Mail is "The Chad" will also miss the flight and will be lining up for Glenelg this week, for his first game there for many years.
    Are you talking about Chad Studley Cornes?