Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hall and Johnson earn a week off

Can I ask why Eade would be resting players after they just had a rest due to the bye??
    Seriously it was only 2 games ago they had a week off.
    Then the 2 players he said he is resting are injured, which is it?

Post Thanks / Like

If they're legitimately sore, rest them, but I'm not sold on the idea of resting them just because they're due for a rest. Sure, Port aren't much chop ATM, but then neither have we been. We have needed a good scoring spread, but a lot has rested on Baz's broad shoulders thus far, and players haven't made contributions as we'd expected. Hope the lads can continue the effort from this week. And I hope Baz is out for one not two....
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

It would be nice for Jones to step up if selected and stamp his mark as Bazza apprentice and kick a bag as well.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Can I ask why Eade would be resting players after they just had a rest due to the bye??
    Seriously it was only 2 games ago they had a week off.
    Then the 2 players he said he is resting are injured, which is it?
    A/ because of the heat & humidity in Darwin & B/ the effect it has on recovery for the following game which just happens to be against Freo.
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

my interpretation of the Hall "bad ankle may be out for 2 weeks" story

"we are resting him but for gods sake don't make it sound as though we think Port will be easy beats"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Throughandthrough View Post
    my interpretation of the Hall "bad ankle may be out for 2 weeks" story

"we are resting him but for gods sake don't make it sound as though we think Port will be easy beats"
    Thats it in a nutshell. Also they thought they would get on the front foot and say he will be out for 1-2 weeks, yeh right!
    I am certain Bazza will play against Freo.
    Last edited by Desipura; 13-07-2010 at 11:49 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post
    A/ because of the heat & humidity in Darwin & B/ the effect it has on recovery for the following game which just happens to be against Freo.
    Port & Melbourne played in Darwin in rd 9 in game where Port fought back from a large margin to narrowly go down by just 1 point.

The next week Melbourne had to rest Trengove & Scully as they didn't come up and the Dee's put in a pretty flat performance against Geelong.

Port faced Richmond in the wet at AAMI park and were beaten by 47 pts. At this point Richmond was still a basket case.

Port haven't won a game since the Darwin clash and Melbourne won their first game since on Sunday.

All this may have nothing at all to do with the effect the conditions in Darwin have played in these sub-standard performances, but if they have we need to prepare well and not take any chances.

Post Thanks / Like

If Barry is sore then rest him, no issue there, no point wearing down an older player who will be a key to our finals campaign. Also if we can't beat Port who are coming off 8 consecutive losses without Hall then our season is in worse shape than I thought.

I don't agree with talk of resting Hudson though, I agree he's a key to our team, but he had a weeks break 2 games ago.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

We are not resting Johnno or Barry, they have ankle injuries, Stack is also injured.

However, I reckon Minson and Roughy would beat the Port rucks and Hudson needs a rest.

So Minson, Aker, Hill and Eagle/Everitt in. Maybe Eagle for his last game against his old club.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Suz 32 View Post
    I remember in 2006 when we needed one more win to make the top 8. We all thought we were a shoo in to beat Port in Darwin & they beat us. We can't underestimate them. I know it was 4 years ago & both teams are very different, but just wanted to make a point.
    Agreed. this club needs to take a leaf out of Geelong's book and learn to keep the foot on the throat of even seemingly lowly opponents. Port will take more risks and have some new faces this round. One of the AFL's least successful club ( ours! ) on and off the field needs to treat every game as a prelim final now. No prisoners!!!!
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Agreed. this club needs to take a leaf out of Geelong's book and learn to keep the foot on the throat of even seemingly lowly opponents. Port will take more risks and have some new faces this round. One of the AFL's least successful club ( ours! ) on and off the field needs to treat every game as a prelim final now. No prisoners!!!!
    Geelong have rested their players during the year. They had a number of them out against Melbourne (Ablett being one of them) when they played them at the Cattery.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desipura View Post
    Geelong have rested their players during the year. They had a number of them out against Melbourne (Ablett being one of them) when they played them at the Cattery.
    Geelong are also on top of the ladder and have participated in the last 3 GF's, winning 2.

We are still battling for a top 4 spot so need to be a bit more cautious in our approach to resting players. (which I think was the point GD was trying to make)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Geelong are also on top of the ladder and have participated in the last 3 GF's, winning 2.

We are still battling for a top 4 spot so need to be a bit more cautious in our approach to resting players. (which I think was the point GD was trying to make)
    As I said in my previous post, we have the depth to cover the likes of Hall. In fact, it will make us less predictable (like last season). It just means the likes of Gia, Higgins & Grant have to carry some of Halls load and become more of a target up there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post

Be cautious alright.
    Throw in a Game on the road,new coach,shake up of their list, heat from the media and their fans ( Port forums are ablaze ) too many variables to write them off as ' easy beats', even if they turn out to be.

Resting players is a good move IMO. Make the others work for goals, will be good for confidence, Gia, Missy et al. But, need to keep the team as close to the Carlton game. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Went to the etihad game in the NAB. NAB is NAB, but you are talking about a club that beat the Aints. When they are on song, they can beat good clubs. Granted they are missing a few.
    In short, caution but...

"We fear no club!" D. Smorgon
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe Lake could spend the whole game at full forward in place of Hall with Morris and Williams holding the key posts down back.
    The curse is dead.