Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Dogs angry at lack of recognition for young gun Jarrad Grant

Jon Ralph - Herald Sun - 14 July

THE Western Bulldogs have called for the AFL to explain its criteria for Rising Star nominations after forward Jarrad Grant was again overlooked yesterday.

Grant has played 11 games of increasing quality this season, but continues to be ignored by the AFL's selection panel.

Brisbane's 19-year-old midfielder Jack Redden became the third Lion nominated this season, despite his club losing 10 of its past 11 games.

Article in full...
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dogs angry at lack of recognition for young gun Jarrad Grant

With all the Magic our "MERLIN" shows, he deserves a nomination, even tho he's ineligible.

He does look like Merlin doesn'r he

Post Thanks / Like

It will be interesting to see the AFL's response, so that we can all try and come to terms with the criteria, whatever it may be????

Post Thanks / Like

Don't particularly like seeing these sort of comments coming from the club - it just sounded like a whinge for no apparent reason other than he hasn't received a nomination as yet. Grant has been terrific but after a 12 possession effort he was always going to struggle to get a nomination this week. So he was a bit stiff to miss out on one when Melksham got his after a 14 possession effort, big deal. If he continues to perform well he will get a nomination before the season is out, just like Callan Ward did late last season after missing out to Aaron Joseph following a 33 possession effort against Port up in Darwin earlier in the season.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Don't particularly like seeing these sort of comments coming from the club - it just sounded like a whinge for no apparent reason other than he hasn't received a nomination as yet.
    Agree. I guess it is good for the sponsors when he gets a nomination so I understand it from a marketing perspective, but beyond that who cares?

Speaking of sponsors, has anyone heard news of discussions with Mission foods re- an extension beyond 2011? Pretty sure they signed a 3-year deal which is more than half way done.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't love the comment but the guy has been consistently good for 10 weeks. The AFL say they reward consistency so it will be interesting to hear their response.

Post Thanks / Like

You watch Grant will get the votes this week even if he doesnt play...

Post Thanks / Like

From what is said about the Rising Star, a lot of this kind of stuff is said behind closed doors to encourage the nominations of certain players/players from certain teams.

I can understand why they are frustrated, but I would hope Grant isn't too phased. He knows he's playing well, the team's happy with him. If he gets a nom, bonus, but if he doesn't what does it really matter?

Post Thanks / Like

Same thing happend with Callen Ward and finally he got a nomination. I agree with fantasia that the criteria is bemusing.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I couldn't care less if he doesn't receive a nomination(he can't win it anyway), the kid is going to be a gun and that's all that matters
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

There has been in the past, a definite media bias against the dogs.
    Maybe this is what the club is annoyed about.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    I couldn't care less if he doesn't receive a nomination(he can't win it anyway), the kid is going to be a gun and that's all that matters
    Yep, have to agree with this!

Post Thanks / Like

He's done pretty well thus far, but in all honesty, I couldn't give a fat rat's you-know-what about this 'issue' the club has raised. Just sounds like they're having a whinge. Forget the individual stuff and let's get the TEAM back up and running.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by andrewp6 View Post
    he's done pretty well thus far, but in all honesty, i couldn't give a fat rat's you-know-what about this 'issue' the club has raised. Just sounds like they're having a whinge. Forget the individual stuff and let's get the team back up and running.
    this^^^^^^^^

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Don't particularly like seeing these sort of comments coming from the club - it just sounded like a whinge for no apparent reason other than he hasn't received a nomination as yet.
    Doesn't the junior club get a package of training equipment for every nomination?

Wouldn't surprise if Grant's junior club had mentioned something to the Bulldogs, and the Doggies picked a slow news day to get a bit of profile going.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers