Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lady Umpires

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lady Umpires

Quote Originally Posted by susie View Post
    Perhaps the AFL can use rotation of umpires during the game, just like the players. Most of the players never play a full game any more. Maybe the umpires may like to consider rotating, thus preventing fatigue setting in, which in turn may prevent them from making incorrect decisions.
    Wouldn't this make it even harder to know by name which ump to abuse?

Post Thanks / Like

Could be some interesting abuse towards the umpires.

Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps the AFL can use rotation of umpires during the game, just like the players. Most of the players never play a full game any more. Maybe the umpires may like to consider rotating, thus preventing fatigue setting in, which in turn may prevent them from making incorrect decisions.
    I believe for the boundary umpires this has changed somewhat. There now appears to be 3 boundary umpires on the field, rotating with another off the bench. There is certainly merit to making it 4 boundary umpires, and hopefully this would reduce the physical demands to make it a more accessible position for any candidate, both male or female.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    I believe for the boundary umpires this has changed somewhat. There now appears to be 3 boundary umpires on the field, rotating with another off the bench. There is certainly merit to making it 4 boundary umpires, and hopefully this would reduce the physical demands to make it a more accessible position for any candidate, both male or female.
    I can't quite get my head around 3 boundary umpires soupaman.

Two I can get, four I can get, but not three.

How are they positioned on the ground? It would have to be two on one side on the ground & the third on the other. Just doesn't seem right somehow.
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post

How are they positioned on the ground? It would have to be two on one side on the ground & the third on the other. Just doesn't seem right somehow.
    There are currently 4 boundary umpires in every AFL game.

At VFL level there are 3. There are only 2 umpires on the ground at any time. 1 umpire does one side of the ground for a full quarter, while the other side of the ground is shared between the other 2. They then rotate each quarter, taking it in turns of doing the whole quarter.
    For those who were always the underdogs and wore it as a badge of honour.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post

1. Female umpires won't be able to handle the abuse that supporters will hurl at them, possibly because they are more mentally fragile.

So what are your thoughts? Is it worth doing? Would it improve the game? Would female umpires have an advantage through their "intuition"? Would they be too intimidated?
    Well, Susan isn't mentally fragile! Just ask Channel 9's Bank account and Sam Newman's ego.

Agreed, not sure about the intuition thing. But on the whole, there should be no barriers to females as umpires. If they can be police they can be umpires.

Imagine all the young girls that will be more into AFL as a result? If some top female umpire visited a primary school, the kids would be over the moon.
    Good for everyone.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Well, Susan isn't mentally fragile! Just ask Channel 9's Bank account and Sam Newman's ego.

Agreed, not sure about the intuition thing. But on the whole, there should be no barriers to females as umpires. If they can be police they can be umpires.

Imagine all the young girls that will be more into AFL as a result? If some top female umpire visited a primary school, the kids would be over the moon.
    Good for everyone.
    I doubt they'd know who she was...same for male umps. They're nameless faces for kids - they don't wear the umps names on their shirts.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

I had the right idea. The side with 2 just split it 50-50. Evidently I was just one umpire short.

Post Thanks / Like

Best person for the job, regardless of what sex they are.
    If the women have earned their "stripes" through the various levels of training and experience, then why not. Women are not wanting to play football against the men even though there are 85,000 playing AFL around the country. These women should be encouraged to continue to play AFL if they enjoy doing so. We already have female umpires in the lower divisions who are willing and able to study and train for senior position in the AFL . It is always about the best person for the job!
    Agree with both these posts ... I don't think it matters what gender as long as it is the best person doing the job.
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    I doubt they'd know who she was...same for male umps. They're nameless faces for kids - they don't wear the umps names on their shirts.
    Just show them a bit of footage. Being a teacher, I know kids are really interested in the working lives of adults. Believe me, they would be very curious.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=AndrewP6;164467]I doubt they'd know who she was...same for male umps. They're nameless faces for kids - they don't wear the umps names on their shirts.[/QUOTE]

They dont wear the players names on their jumpers either.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=ledge;164548]
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    I doubt they'd know who she was...same for male umps. They're nameless faces for kids - they don't wear the umps names on their shirts.[/QUOTE]

They dont wear the players names on their jumpers either.
    No, that's true... but I honestly can't think of any kid at my school being excited over a visit from an umpire. We had two Demons players last year (we're right near Casey Fields) and hardly anyone knew them. I can't see that changing for the whistleblowers.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Just show them a bit of footage. Being a teacher, I know kids are really interested in the working lives of adults. Believe me, they would be very curious.
    Fair enough, I'm pretty sure not many of the kids I teach would care too much.