Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Jason Akermanis back in the doghouse

* Stephen Rielly
    * July 15, 2010 12:00AM

JASON Akermanis is back in exile, banished for what the Western Bulldogs believe was the disclosure of in-house information which made its way on to last week's edition of The Footy Show.

While Dogs coach Rodney Eade and other officials would not elaborate yesterday on the reasons why Akermanis will spend at least another week in the VFL, his third, it is understood that the club has accused him of being behind a critical rant from Sam Newman on last week's program. Newman questioned Bulldog midfielder Adam Cooney, who was a panellist on the show, about details of private meetings Akermanis had with his teammates before he was suspended in early June for misleading the club over the extent of his authorship of a contentious newspaper column about homosexuality in the game.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1225891839482

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jason Akermanis back in the doghouse

When is it going to end.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    When is it going to end.
    l don't think Aker will ever learn. It's all about HIM.

Post Thanks / Like

He's very good at using the media to push his own agenda. This time however, the club has called his bluff and basically said that unless the content of discussions stay in house he will get more time at Williamstown.
    He's very much part of the plans but still has some things he needs to fix.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Are we really sure that it is about the Footy show thing?
    Can anyone confirm this?

I must admit, I really admire the patience that Rocket shows and his media 'face' throughout all this.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Akermanis, Bulldogs clash again

Peter Hanlon - The Age - 15 July

THE turbulent relationship between Jason Akermanis and the Western Bulldogs shows no signs of abating, with the Brownlow medallist's anticipated recall to the senior team believed to have been stalled by a breach of confidence that has again put player and club at odds.

Coach Rodney Eade said yesterday he had been pleased with Akermanis's form and workrate in two games while serving a club-imposed sanction with Williamstown, but there were ''a couple of things that he just needs to work on'' which would stay between him and Akermanis.

Eade cautioned that they were ''not issues, just some things that need tweaking''. He would not stipulate whether the tweaks were needed on or off-field.

Article in full...

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Are we really sure that it is about the Footy show thing?
    Can anyone confirm this?
    This part of the article in pertinent I think:

'Concerns over the latter would not have been eased by a rant from Sam Newman on The Footy Show last week, in which he criticised the manner in which Akermanis was made to front the playing group last month. Newman called on Adam Cooney - a panellist - to defend the players' questioning of their teammate's conduct.'
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't like to jump to conclusions about things.
    Maybe it is the footy show incident + 'dribbler' comments.
    Anyway, anyone close to the club can / able to comment here?
    , or assume that the article is correct in how it paints the picture.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    This time however, the club has called his bluff and basically said that unless the content of discussions stay in house he will get more time at Williamstown.
    I am assuming then that this is correct.
    If it's the case I am glad the club is taking a strong stance and if Jason really thought about it he would see it as being an on going learning process that might do him a bit of good.

Post Thanks / Like

Aker is really putting pressure on the club to pick him by saying words to the effect "Im frustrated, I will be looking to play next week".
    "If you play very well you will get picked Aker, not just because you are Aker."
    I feel like he is holding the club to ransom. If he does not get picked next week, this could potentially explode.

Post Thanks / Like

If the article is correct and Rocket is unhappy about the Footy Show thing and believes Aker's blabbed again, shouldn't that be kept in house and sorted out discreetly. Too much rubbish is leaking out of the Club and the fact that this spat is so public is a terrible look.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

ARGH. I just want this saga to be over with. It is distractions like this that cost teams.

Post Thanks / Like

Just wait till he's no longer trying to get a game...

Like others, I want to see him back, in form, for finals, as he could be an important player, and at his best, he certainly is that. The fact that there are still issues moving forwards from this point isn't good, and I for one think he may struggle to get back.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    If the article is correct and Rocket is unhappy about the Footy Show thing and believes Aker's blabbed again, shouldn't that be kept in house and sorted out discreetly. Too much rubbish is leaking out of the Club and the fact that this spat is so public is a terrible look.
    I think the club has tried to sort it out discreetly by the looks of it. All the club has done is not pick him and conclusions have been drawn as a result.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Griffen#16 View Post
    Just wait till he's no longer trying to get a game...

Like others, I want to see him back, in form, for finals, as he could be an important player, .

Agreed, could be important; don't agree with some like Hird (link) that we can't win a final without him.

While being unsympathetic, Aker is copping some unfair bumps from the media. Example, Foxsports article above. Bit of creative license in that article.

Ah well, being bitten by the hand that feeds him.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm concerned how much more this could blow up if Aker's not selected soon, I agree with the above he's effectively holding the club to ransom. Akers first priority is always Aker and what he wants at the current moment, he will do whatever he needs to do to get what he wants and doesn't consider the repecussions for others or even himself in the medium to long term, that's a dangerous formula for a high profile player who is out of favour.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships