Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jason Akermanis back in the doghouse

We knew what we were getting when we recruited Aker. High value - high risk

We have had, in the main, an excellent return on our investment.

As of now, if he does the right thing, he plays. If he doesn't do the right thing he either stays at Willi or takes off. It's up to him.

Whatever path this takes, the Western Bulldogs will continue to move forward.

As somebody else once said, "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn"

Post Thanks / Like

Anne Wright

UPDATE 10.54am: BULLDOGS star Jason Akermanis has responded to accusations that he leaked inside information to Sam Newman

'.....Akermanis - speaking on radio station MTR this morning - said that he did not prompt the outburst.

“I can’t control Sam. He’s a very good friend of mine," Akermanis said.

“Sam and I have been friends for many, many years and we have spoken about lots of stuff and he’s never talked about most of that stuff outside of our conversations.”

Akermanis spoke of his disappointment at not making the Bulldogs team to play Port Adelaide, but said the reasons behind the match committee’s decision were between him and the club.

“Yes I’m frustrated absolutely,” he said.

“I’ve gotta keep that between us, the match committee and myself, as to why I’m not playing. Then I go and hopefully play another good game in the twos.”

“Can I just say that I go out into the cold and I train and I work hard and then I go and play my two games at Williamstown, done everything that they have asked me to do and then don’t pick it. I can’t really say why I’m not in the team."

Akermanis said it wasn’t just the cheer squad who had called for his inclusion back into the team and several other footballers had also said they wanted him back.

“None of the cheer squad members or players pick the side,” he said.
    '

Full article

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EJ Smith View Post
    We knew what we were getting when we recruited Aker. High value - high risk

We have had, in the main, an excellent return on our investment.

As of now, if he does the right thing, he plays. If he doesn't do the right thing he either stays at Willi or takes off. It's up to him.

Whatever path this takes, the Western Bulldogs will continue to move forward.

As somebody else once said, "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn"
    Could not have put it better myself. Aker'10 is not Aker'03 or ever Aker'08 for that matter. He is an ageing footballer who has lost a yard of his precious commodity, pace, and while he still possesses a sharp brain and excellent decision making he has naturally slipped down the pecking order of players picked for us. If he can't understand this, he really is delusional. Rocket has openly stated he is in our best 22 when fully fit and firing, so he just needs to keep doing what he's doing on the track and for Willy and he'll be back in the senior team at the business end of the season.

He runs the risk of devaluing his media brand by his self-inflicted over-exposure. It's a little sad to see - all he needs to do is pull back for a couple of months, dedicate himself solely to the task at hand on the field and his career could end with a glorious finale. His post footbal career would then be worth a fortune.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    I'm concerned how much more this could blow up if Aker's not selected soon, I agree with the above he's effectively holding the club to ransom. Akers first priority is always Aker and what he wants at the current moment, he will do whatever he needs to do to get what he wants and doesn't consider the repecussions for others or even himself in the medium to long term, that's a dangerous formula for a high profile player who is out of favour.
    It's pretty poor form isn't it, to come out and whinge about the MC's selections as an individual player on the airwaves.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Some of the comments Aker has made in that article seem a little bizarre.

The general tone is that it's all about him, and not the team.

for example: “Can I just say that I go out into the cold and I train and I work hard and then I go and play my two games at Williamstown, done everything that they have asked me to do and then don’t pick it. I can’t really say why I’m not in the team."

Sounds a bit bitter and self-centered to me. He could of just said, "I'll keep trying my best and working hard and will hopefully get back soon to help out the team for the rest of the season".

If any other player on the fringes said what he said they certainly wouldn't be very popular. Imagine if Everitt or Tim Callan had said that, they have just as much a reason if not more than Aker to be dissapointed that they aren't in the side, but it wouldn't be acceptable for them to complain about it publicly, I don't know why Aker thinks he can.

I get the feeling it would take a major turn around in attitude from Aker for him to play another game.

Post Thanks / Like

TBH, it's lucky the bloke can/could play football because he'd have been bashed every second month or so in real life down the pub.

He's a grown man and can't keep his mouth shut. He's served a purpose for us prior to this season (with a couple of minor hiccups), but he's now almost beyond redemption.

Aker is a mouthy twat.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the club is starting to bitch about everything now. Sooner or later Aker will just give it away.

Post Thanks / Like

That is horrible journalism. As a journalism student I'm appalled. There is no attribution to validate that the Bulldogs are angry about Akermanis allegedly leaking information to Sam Newman. It hasn't even come from a source. Is this supposed to be some opinion piece? I'm confused!

There aren't any quotes from the Western Bulldogs stating that they are upset about Akermanis talking to people outside the club.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Could not have put it better myself. Aker'10 is not Aker'03 or ever Aker'08 for that matter. He is an ageing footballer who has lost a yard of his precious commodity, pace, and while he still possesses a sharp brain and excellent decision making he has naturally slipped down the pecking order of players picked for us. If he can't understand this, he really is delusional. Rocket has openly stated he is in our best 22 when fully fit and firing, so he just needs to keep doing what he's doing on the track and for Willy and he'll be back in the senior team at the business end of the season.

He runs the risk of devaluing his media brand by his self-inflicted over-exposure. It's a little sad to see - all he needs to do is pull back for a couple of months, dedicate himself solely to the task at hand on the field and his career could end with a glorious finale. His post footbal career would then be worth a fortune.
    This is a hiccup that the Club didn't need at such an important time of the year. The fault may well have lay in deciding to renew Aker's contract when he himself was uncertain about committing to another year. There was always going to be some danger in going into 2010 with ageing bodies in Johnson, Eagleton, Hall and Akermanis. On reflection only Hall has played to an acceptable level from this group of players.When you add the poor form of Hahn to the mix you begin to wonder whether our List Management staff have got it right.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm already worried what he is going to say when he actually leaves?

I actually don't mind him, but he really has no idea about the consquences of what he says, or he does and just doesn't care.
    '

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by arkie View Post
    That is horrible journalism. As a journalism student I'm appalled. There is no attribution to validate that the Bulldogs are angry about Akermanis allegedly leaking information to Sam Newman. It hasn't even come from a source. Is this supposed to be some opinion piece? I'm confused!

There aren't any quotes from the Western Bulldogs stating that they are upset about Akermanis talking to people outside the club.

Why spoil a good story with facts?

Ok, so Aker gets picked for, say, the Freo game. What happens if he has a stinker? I'd love to see him back in the team, playing the way we know he can/could, but there's no guarantee he'll be back to his brilliant best. He could easily get dropped again. So when he does get back, he has to give himself every chance, and that includes a muzzle.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nuggety Back Pocket View Post
    This is a hiccup that the Club didn't need at such an important time of the year. The fault may well have lay in deciding to renew Aker's contract when he himself was uncertain about committing to another year. There was always going to be some danger in going into 2010 with ageing bodies in Johnson, Eagleton, Hall and Akermanis. On reflection only Hall has played to an acceptable level from this group of players.When you add the poor form of Hahn to the mix you begin to wonder whether our List Management staff have got it right.
    There is always a fine line between going with the same group that fell oh so short, with that added tall forward, and see what happens, or dishing off a few older players, and perhaps taking one step back.

We know how durable Johnno has been, it's unfortunate that he has struggled this season with injury, perhaps missing so much footy, this could be a real positive towards the business end of the season.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the club is starting to bitch about everything now. Sooner or later Aker will just give it away.

Im a bit confused with your 2 post's above.

In one post your are having a go at the club but in the next post your are defending the club.

Did you read the article before posting?

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/af...-1225892325283

EXCLUSIVE: FOOTY Show star Sam Newman has confessed to betraying Jason Akermanis's trust by revealing details of an in-house club meeting on the top-rating show.
    Newman today admitted to overhearing a conversation between Akermanis and radio host Steve Price during a lunch at a Chinese restaurant in Richmond last month.
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

It's never going to end.
    The curse is dead.