Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jumpers and names?

Another way of looking at it is why have numbers if you put names on jumpers?

Post Thanks / Like

I don't mind them doing that for the 2011 NAB Cup. Should be gone come the 2012 season.
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post
    AFL to make Giant concession to new club

THE AFL is set to break with more than 150 years of tradition and allow Greater Western Sydney to put players' names on the back of jumpers during next week's NAB Cup clash with Sydney Swans at Blacktown Olympic Park.

No team in VFL/AFL history has displayed player names on the team uniform but the special concession made to the Giants is designed to help fans recognise and connect with the unknown teenagers who are set to become the future stars of the new club.

NRL convert Israel Folau modelled the jumpers for The Daily Telegraph yesterday, but the club's official guernsey won't be revealed until the Giants face Sydney Swans on February 19 after an online poll to select the preferred design is decided.

Article in full...

Oh how sweet...let's 'connect' with the GWS Jaffas.
    connect? WTF
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Another way of looking at it is why have numbers if you put names on jumpers?
    Yes, do away with numbers, they are a relic of the past. An unnecessary expense.

The numbers were possibly introduced to keep track of the players. For reporting and umpire calling etc. It was too difficult and expensive to put names on jumpers in those days. No so now. All the grounds have a TV going showing live coverage, anybody with reasonable eye-sight can see the player's names on the TV.

The main reason now for numbers appears to be so you have to buy a program.

Umpires these days know all of the players names and nicknames by sight.

For those who still like the numbers, maybe they can be made smaller. Cricketers didn't have numbers for years.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Griffen View Post
    I don't mind this idea at all! I know the jumpers are busy already, but I like the idea of a name and number.
    Same. Not a bad idea.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornAScragger View Post
    I don't agree, numbers only for me. If you don't know the names of every player on your team, I'd suggest you go buy an AFL Record, sit down and study it and bloody well learn them!

I rarely look at the numbers, only to differentiate between two players that can sometimes look alike from a distance, such as Gilbee and Gia, or Hudson and Hooper (joking!)
    Same,

Easier to spot a number and associate the player than try and read a name with minuscule characters.

Why clutter the jumpers and pollute them the way other codes do?

Post Thanks / Like

Names would only embarrass most callers and supposed experts.
    I believe there's nothing on this earth that we own. All we do is look after it for our children - Terry Wheeler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornAScragger View Post
    I don't agree, numbers only for me. If you don't know the names of every player on your team, I'd suggest you go buy an AFL Record, sit down and study it and bloody well learn them!I rarely look at the numbers, only to differentiate between two players that can sometimes look alike from a distance, such as Gilbee and Gia, or Hudson and Hooper (joking!)
    I hear what you are saying BornAScragger, and I do know my players by sight, but I have to tell you that my eyesight struggles to see the play on the other side of the ground these days (old age and all that!). Therefore, I sometimes have difficulty in identifying the boys. With respect, you can't just assume that we all have 20/20 vision!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Griffen View Post
    I hear what you are saying BornAScragger, and I do know my players by sight, but I have to tell you that my eyesight struggles to see the play on the other side of the ground these days (old age and all that!). Therefore, I sometimes have difficulty in identifying the boys. With respect, you can't just assume that we all have 20/20 vision!
    Is this meant to be an argument in favour of bringing names on jumpers in? Because surely if you can't read the numbers you'dm have no chance with the names.

* If the quoted section is just discussing the effects of old age and has no relevance to the names/numbers issues please disregard the above.

This message should be disregarded.
    Last edited by soupman; 13-02-2011 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Disregard the above.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    Is this meant to be an argument in favour of bringing names on jumpers in? Because surely if you can't read the numbers you'dm have no chance with the names.

* If the quoted section is just discussing the effects of old age and has no relevance to the names/numbers issues please disregard the above.
    I will disregard the above I guess old age doesn't necessarily come into it either, as I had to start wearing glasses when I was young - staring at a computer screen really plays havoc with your eyesight!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post

This message should be disregarded.
    I can't read Jack until it's past arms length, but I can normally tell who's who on the field.
    If I need a name on a jumper I'd need it on the front as well.

Leave it as it is, we have enough advertising on the Jumper as it is so where would we fit a name?