Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Rodney Eade stands firm as hopes of a return fade for Jason Akermanis

* Mark Stevens
    * July 20, 2010 12:00AM

JASON Akermanis appears certain to be stranded in the VFL for a fourth successive week.

The Western Bulldogs have a long list of in-form candidates vying for selection, leaving Akermanis at long odds to return against Fremantle on Sunday.

A training mishap, or the unlikely event of a player not recovering from the trip to Darwin, loom as Akermanis's best chance.

Do you think Aker's finished at the Bulldogs? Have your say below.

Dogs coach Rodney Eade last night remained tight-lipped on Akermanis's chances, saying: "He is in the mix."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/af...-1225894299688

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rodney Eade stands firm as hopes of a return fade for Jason Akermanis

"But it is believed the details of an almost completed book are causing as much angst, if not more.

It is understood the book, due for release after the season, is honest in its appraisal of some current teammates.

There is speculation that Robert Murphy, Daniel Giansiracusa and perhaps ruckman Ben Hudson get mentions in the book - and word has filtered back to Whitten Oval."

Don't like this bit.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Are we going to cop one of these articles each week (which is happening now) until Aker gets a game?

They must be struggling to fill the pages down at the Herald Sun.

Post Thanks / Like

I had hoped that this sort of nonsense was confined to the clubs past.

Sure Aker probably needed some recovery time, a slap on the wrist and some quiet time in the corner at Williamstown.

But I think anyone who thinks that the win against Port marked a return to form for the team is kidding themselves. Sure our effective kicking stats were up, but generally the game , whilst being physically demanding becase of the heat, didn't have the pressure on the kicker that a top three side will constantly apply.

I believe that we need Aker firing in the forward line, if we are to progress beyond the first weeks of the finals series, purely because we need the goals, and the goal opportunities he creates.

Johnno is rapidly returning to form, Jarrad Grant improves every week and Big Barry's back. That's all good, but Aker and Johnno together provide the magic which can really stretch a defense, making them accountable and reducing the drive from the halfback line; which is the springboard for attacking football in most top teams.

With Gia and Sean Higgins lurking quietly around the forward pockets, there are no easy outs for the defense.

Our three senior forwards all demonstrate the ability to bring the players around them into the game (admittedly a rare quality in a full forward and an absolute credit to Barry's unselfishness); and, fitness allowing, all three should play.

Aker is also a proven big game player, and each game from now on (including Geelong) is a must win, if we are to get the double chance.

Come on guys, put your differences aside and get on with the game.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanette54 View Post
    I had hoped that this sort of nonsense was confined to the clubs past.

Sure Aker probably needed some recovery time, a slap on the wrist and some quiet time in the corner at Williamstown.

But I think anyone who thinks that the win against Port marked a return to form for the team is kidding themselves. Sure our effective kicking stats were up, but generally the game , whilst being physically demanding becase of the heat, didn't have the pressure on the kicker that a top three side will constantly apply.

I believe that we need Aker firing in the forward line, if we are to progress beyond the first weeks of the finals series, purely because we need the goals, and the goal opportunities he creates.

Johnno is rapidly returning to form, Jarrad Grant improves every week and Big Barry's back. That's all good, but Aker and Johnno together provide the magic which can really stretch a defense, making them accountable and reducing the drive from the halfback line; which is the springboard for attacking football in most top teams.

With Gia and Sean Higgins lurking quietly around the forward pockets, there are no easy outs for the defense.

Our three senior forwards all demonstrate the ability to bring the players around them into the game (admittedly a rare quality in a full forward and an absolute credit to Barry's unselfishness); and, fitness allowing, all three should play.

Aker is also a proven big game player, and each game from now on (including Geelong) is a must win, if we are to get the double chance.

Come on guys, put your differences aside and get on with the game.
    Interesting post Jeanette. Aker certainly would / will be a concern for any opposition coach.
    So what would be your I/O selections for this week?
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    "But it is believed the details of an almost completed book are causing as much angst, if not more.

It is understood the book, due for release after the season, is honest in its appraisal of some current teammates.

There is speculation that Robert Murphy, Daniel Giansiracusa and perhaps ruckman Ben Hudson get mentions in the book - and word has filtered back to Whitten Oval."

Don't like this bit.
    Would you want to read it once it's released?

Hyporcite time - I'm not into giving media hungry types too much attention....but given the subject matter, I want to read it.
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Interesting post Jeanette. Aker certainly would / will be a concern for any opposition coach.
    So what would be your I/O selections for this week?
    Thanks Ghost Dog, I guess thats a polite way of saying "Put your money where your mouth is"

I don't think anyone deserved to be dropped after last week, but there are a couple of changes which will have to happen.

My in/outs would be (for what its worth):

in: Jordan Roughead, Barry Hall and Jason Akermanis

out: Brode Moles, Eastern Wood and anyone who genuinely needs a weeks rest/recovery after Darwin (maybe Daniel Giansiracusa ?).

(Oh how I wish we could afford to give Ben Hudson. Matthew Boyd or Daniel Cross a week off, but not this one) and I don't think we should disrupt the back six either, unless its neccessary.

When is Big Will available ?

There, I am glad I am not a selector. Pretty tough job I would imagine.

Post Thanks / Like

in: Jordan Roughead, Barry Hall and Jason Akermanis

out: Brode Moles, Eastern Wood and anyone who genuinely needs a weeks rest/recovery after Darwin (maybe Daniel Giansiracusa ?).

There, I am glad I am not a selector. Pretty tough job I would imagine.
    Me too

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    Would you want to read it once it's released?

Hyporcite time - I'm not into giving media hungry types too much attention....but given the subject matter, I want to read it.
    Probably

I just don't understand why he would want to alienate himself from another group of players/club(one that had gone out of it's way to make him feel like he was a part of our club).
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think we should disrupt the back six either
    You can't have it both ways - either you dont disrupt the back 6 or you drop Wood...you can't take both options.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    You can't have it both ways - either you dont disrupt the back 6 or you drop Wood...you can't take both options.
    The back six, as named on Thursday night, were:

B: Jarrod Harbrow, Brian Lake, Dale Morris
    HB: Ryan Hargrave, Tom Williams, Lindsay Gilbee

Which, with Bob Murphy rotating through it, is I think is about our best.

Post Thanks / Like

Great. Wood spent the night playing down there, so what was in the paper was basically irrelevant.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think it's a coincidence that Woods inclusion into our side has allowed Gilbee to become a more damaging player over the last month.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Agree with the sentiments on Wood being good for the side and helping Gilbee to be more damaging.
    Plus I really like that Wood brings more leg speed and ability to run and carry into the side.

Wood did a great job on what was seemingly an unusual match up for him on Shultz after quarter time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post

Wood did a great job on what was seemingly an unusual match up for him on Shultz after quarter time.
    Jay Schulz.