Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Akermanis sacked by Dogs

Surely his contract has a confidentiality clause which means we can sue him if he breaches it
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't see him coming out guns blazing. I do see him criticising the decision and maybe slipping the odd sly comment, but why impact book sales?

Seriously, I'm of two minds about this. On one hand, I've been defending him all week and will continue to do so, and I'm shattered we've lost him — would've been handy against Collingwood purely for the psychological aspect. On the other hand, if he's done things behind the curtain we're unaware of and this is simply the club saying, “Nothing will stand in our way” like they did with Scott West, then I'm for it.

I guess I'll save my judgment for the 27 of September.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    I am sure we will hear Aker's version and if he flings mud are we just going to cop it or will we respond?
    We have offered our reasons at the Press Conference. From this point on we should maintain a dignified silence, something Aker could not do and will not do in the future.

He will never realise it but by commenting on it further he will simply dig a bigger hole for himself.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornAScragger View Post
    I guess I'll save my judgment for the 27 of September.
    I'm probably of the same vein.

If we don't at least make the Grand Final, more heads should roll.

Post Thanks / Like

Remember our Club is bigger than any individual. It must always be the Club first. David Smorgon has shown great leadership in this matter.
    ________
    INTERRACIAL MILF
    Last edited by LostDoggy; 19-03-2011 at 01:09 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by susie View Post
    Remember our Club is bigger than any individual. It must always be the Club first. David Smorgon has shown great leadership in this matter.
    I understand the reasons, I just hope we haven't just done a Carlton.

Post Thanks / Like

This club has made the right choice. With all the issues with Aker this year l am sure the club with hindsight wished they had not signed him up for 2010.

In general he has been good for the club but it all went sour. Brisbane all over again for Aker!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    I'm probably of the same vein.

If we don't at least make the Grand Final, more heads should roll.
    So you consider this the only factor in our appearance in the GF?

Post Thanks / Like

I was an aker fan and Still like him as a player but I feel he has become too distracting and definetly not a team player. I think the club has made the right decision and we can now concentrate on September with the players that are giving the club 100%.

Saw aker a few weeks ago after the game - my 6 year old yelled out Hi Aker - and he would not even acknowledge him - thats not like Aker and he lost my support then.... He definetly heard him and knew he was there.

The club is paying out his contract - so he will not be disadvantaged financially.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornAScragger View Post
    I understand the reasons, I just hope we haven't just done a Carlton.
    Not sure what 'done a Carlton' means?

Carlton are in the same position they were this time last year. Brisbane are about to finish 6,7 or 8 spots lower than last year. Footy clubs are places that can not tolerate people that put themselves first in every conceivable scenario - and can not tolerate dills who make a spectacle of themselves.

Sacking Fev is about the only thing I like or respect about Carlton.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by phantomdog View Post
    I was an aker fan and Still like him as a player but I feel he has become too distracting and definetly not a team player. I think the club has made the right decision and we can now concentrate on September with the players that are giving the club 100%.

The club is paying out his contract - so he will not be disadvantaged financially.
    Totally agree with this and with us paying out his contract , I'm sure it will have a "make no waves clause".
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

Agree Susie, the club must always be bigger than any individual. However, this is tinged with sadness for me - I did love watching him play in the red, white and blue and feel it's a shame it had to end this way. I can appreciate the club's reasons, and accept them, but it's just a bit sad, that's all

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ReLoad View Post
    Certainly didnt think it would come to this, but Kudos to the club for showing some balls.

This is exactly the firecracker a few players need.

On another note, Thanks for the fun times Aker, its a shame it ended this way, but thanks for the way you played the game on feild, it was a true delight watching you in the red white and blue.

Champion Player, but along with it he is a Champion Knobhead.
    Perhaps the club should have had the foresight of not offering him a one year deal or a deal that gave him access to so much media work.
    Akermanis did the wrong thing and deserved to go but I don't think the club managed it all too well.
    Did we learn anything from what happened in Brisbane?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

He has and Fantasia was very good at the news conference too.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree about the club being bigger than the individual but I'm not convinced that Smorgon displayed great leadership leading up to today's decision. The final answer was right but I think Akermanis orchestrated it and didn't give Smorgon or the club any alternatives.

There was problem in the early part of the season that was kept in house and perhaps a greater level of leadership then might have set the standard for the balance of the season.

Not unhappy with the outcome of today but I can't pat the club on the back for how this played out.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"