Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Akermanis sacked by Dogs

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    He has and Fantasia was very good at the news conference too.
    They are both very impressive speakers.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

As painful as it is, the correct decision has been made here. If aker could not be trusted by the playing then his place in the team is not viable. At the end of the day he was given the chance to show where the club was in his list of priorities and his actions have been his answer.

Post Thanks / Like

I think, no, I know it was the right decision. It does mean we will have to put up will informed opinions from the media and talk back morons but after we win on Sunday it will soon blow over. The big question that needs to be answered is "How will young Seb react to all of this?".
    [CENTER][B]WOOF Member 315[/B][/CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like

Read this on The Age and it expressed my sentiments exactly:

"All a bit farcical how we sack one person for telling a few tales in the media and we keep others on for drugs, drinking, public displays of aggression and worse (and we know who and what)..."

I think he was the one guy we have that has a true "X-factor" about him, and I hope I'm wrong but we will regret this come the pressure of finals where we have history of not stepping up for the big stage.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stefcep View Post
    Read this on The Age and it expressed my sentiments exactly:

"All a bit farcical how we sack one person for telling a few tales in the media and we keep others on for drugs, drinking, public displays of aggression and worse (and we know who and what)..."

I think he was the one guy we have that has a true "X-factor" about him, and I hope I'm wrong but we will regret this come the pressure of finals where we have history of not stepping up for the big stage.
    He was sacked for more than just telling a few tales in the media, the tales were confidential information that should not have been discussed.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EJ Smith View Post
    So you consider this the only factor in our appearance in the GF?
    Perhaps. Put that footy in Akermanis' hands last year instead of Gia's in the last minutes and our season might've been a week longer.

My point is, when we haven't even played the Granny since 1961 giving away even a millimeter of advantage is not wise — and Aker has proven to be an advantage come finals time, mouth notwithstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Not sure what 'done a Carlton' means?

Carlton are in the same position they were this time last year. Brisbane are about to finish 6,7 or 8 spots lower than last year. Footy clubs are places that can not tolerate people that put themselves first in every conceivable scenario - and can not tolerate dills who make a spectacle of themselves.

Sacking Fev is about the only thing I like or respect about Carlton.
    Why are Carlton in the same position as last year? Because they don't have a forward. They haven't grown and will not.

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I agree about the club being bigger than the individual but I'm not convinced that Smorgon displayed great leadership leading up to today's decision. The final answer was right but I think Akermanis orchestrated it and didn't give Smorgon or the club any alternatives.

There was problem in the early part of the season that was kept in house and perhaps a greater level of leadership then might have set the standard for the balance of the season.

Not unhappy with the outcome of today but I can't pat the club on the back for how this played out.
    Absolutely. Whilst I won't criticise 100% the decision and I understand the reasons behind it (or think I do based on what we've been told) I don't think that pandering to the media circus, and sacking a player to relieve the club of distraction instead of just being mentally tough enough to do the job week in week out DESPITE the distraction is just not up to scratch for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by susie View Post
    Remember our Club is bigger than any individual. It must always be the Club first. David Smorgon has shown great leadership in this matter.
    So True Susie.
    But read my reply on the 1st post about this

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornAScragger View Post
    Perhaps. Put that footy in Akermanis' hands last year instead of Gia's in the last minutes and our season might've been a week longer.
    Why wasn't it? Because he couldn't get the damn thing.

I posted sometime after the PF that Aker played like an 'old man' in that game and his only real influence was when he kicked the ball out deliberately.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    They are both very impressive speakers.
    We are very lucky to have the guys that we have running our club.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by susie View Post
    Remember our Club is bigger than any individual. It must always be the Club first. David Smorgon has shown great leadership in this matter.
    So True Susie, and Neither David,Fantasia or Rocket Bagged Aka.

It was very diplomatical.
    I hope tho that Aka, with all his failings and attributes, is not otrisized from the club(I hope that's the way to spell it) he has been a Good asset to the club until this year.

Post Thanks / Like

So you consider this the only factor in our appearance in the GF?
    No, but if the club wants to take a stance in regards to the betterment of our Premiership aspirations then I expect them to do the same if we fail again. Not just roll the dice with the same cattle and hope our numbers finally 'come up'.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    Wonder what the final straw was - but it's the end result that matters. Let's just ignore everything he says at least until October
    I wish they'd tell us what any of the straws were. Aside from airy-fairy "team ethos" and "club culture" crap that doesn't actually tell us anything.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

There is no way that is going to happen. Of all the issues surrounding Aker, this decison must stay in-house. Otherwise the club is a sitting duck.
    That's probably true, but they must in turn be ready for Aker's supporters to vent their anger.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Taylors lakes member Guest

why would they sacked aka this close to finals

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornAScragger View Post
    I don't see him coming out guns blazing. I do see him criticising the decision and maybe slipping the odd sly comment, but why impact book sales?

Seriously, I'm of two minds about this. On one hand, I've been defending him all week and will continue to do so, and I'm shattered we've lost him — would've been handy against Collingwood purely for the psychological aspect. On the other hand, if he's done things behind the curtain we're unaware of and this is simply the club saying, “Nothing will stand in our way” like they did with Scott West, then I'm for it.

I guess I'll save my judgment for the 27 of September.
    The club is bigger than any individual. The club wont succeed unless the collective playing group embrace the collective objective.

Slagging off you teammates can hardly be productive....