Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  17
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Easton Wood

Post Thanks / Like

Easton Wood

On a bad news day, just wanted to add something positive.

Geez Easton just looks like a footballer.

I love Addison (surprise), but Wood owns that position at this point.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Easton Wood

Yep, I'm a big fan. He hasn't followed the traditional junior path, so his scope for development is quite broad.

Once he's played 50-100 games and is settled at the highest level, he'll be a gun.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

One of those deceptively quick players, takes long strides. I agree I really like his drive from the backline, doesn't make many mistakes and can play tall or small with his leap. Give him another season in the seniors and he could become a very good player.

Post Thanks / Like

Agree and I think he has the taste to put in a full solid pre-season so look out next year he could be anything. He reminds me a little of Griff when he started down back but from memory has more run and ticker than Griff.
    BB.

Looking forward - Naughton, Darcy and JUH. It will be the envy of everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

I predicted he'd have a break out year and he's proved me right.

The only concern is his disposal by foot. Seems to really blow a couple a game and in tight games against good opposition, it has the potential for disaster. However - I really like Wood as a player. Runs straight and generally looks to keep the ball moving forward rather than sideways or backwards. The fact that he can play on smalls or 'medium' talls (Eg. Schulz) is a very handy asset. He's certainly made our back half look a lot better, taking pressure off Gilbee, Harbrow and Hargrave.

He'll take an absolute huge hanger one day, too.

Post Thanks / Like

With the zones & tactics that are being implemented in modern day football his ability to run and carry the ball and break the lines in order to penetrate the zones is quite a valuable asset.

His decision making needs to improve but having said that I'm sure he is under instruction to run with the football wherever possible similarly to Griffen, a by-product of these instructions would be pressured and rushed disposal however I believe the reward outweighs the negatives.

He has a very bright future ahead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swoop View Post
    With the zones & tactics that are being implemented in modern day football his ability to run and carry the ball and break the lines in order to penetrate the zones is quite a valuable asset.

His decision making needs to improve but having said that I'm sure he is under instruction to run with the football wherever possible similarly to Griffen, a by-product of these instructions would be pressured and rushed disposal however I believe the reward outweighs the negatives.

He has a very bright future ahead.
    Spot on Swoop, I agree with all you have said.

Super quick ball movement is obviously key in the modern game, and Wood is another player who can very quickly create space and kick long over the zone before they get back into position.

Like you say, the instruction would be to take them on, and like Griff, we'll forget a few times he gets caught, but he does need to continue to work on his awareness. Whilst I think he is pretty quick, I wouldn't say he's super quick, and off the mark he's not hugely explosive, but once he strides out can cover the ground pretty quickly as Scorlibo made reference to.

Needs to improve/more consistently kick long to the forwards advantage and can still tend to bomb and hope to a pack of opposition. Learning to lower the eyes and spot up shorter, leading targets more often is another dimension that would improve his game.

I certainly agree that he has a good future ahead of him if he can continue to develop, and I'm definitely happy to continue with him in the shorter term too, as I think he's a good inclusion and will go well in high intensity contests as he demonstrated a little last year.

Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes you can tell a player has got it, the way they move, their action and skills etc. Wood certainly looks the goods, he just needs the experience.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swoop View Post
    His decision making needs to improve but having said that I'm sure he is under instruction to run with the football wherever possible similarly to Griffen
    Interesting you mention that, as someone at work mentioned it was almost like having Griffen's run and carry off the HB line again.

He is clearly ahead of what anyone would have expected his development timeline to be: in a backline of Lake, Morris, Williams, Harbrow, Shaggy and Murphy going back there, he has somehow managed to stamp out a spot in our best 22.

He tends to be a little different to our other rebounders for mine; more of a straight ahead, see space & run into type of rebounder as opposed to Gilbee's long spot-ups, Harbrow's evasiveness and Shaggy running wide down the wing to deliver. Seems to favour the corridor much more.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Here's an interesting stat.

From his 5 games this year, Easton Wood has a kicking efficiency of 85.1% placing him number one in the club.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EJ Smith View Post

From his 5 games this year, Easton Wood has a kicking efficiency of 85.1% placing him number one in the club.
    That is interesting......

Post Thanks / Like

How is kicking efficiency measured?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Im glad you asked, I was not going to this time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Hitting the target

Post Thanks / Like

Hitting the target
    That being the case I wouldn't have thought that Easton hits the target 5 times out of 6.

I thought somewhere along the line that a kick over 40m that didn't result in the opposition winning clear possssion was an effective kick... Is that not the case?