Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  17
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Easton Wood

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Easton Wood

Showed us a bit of what he can do.

He will further improve over the next few months.

Johnno will just get worse.

Post Thanks / Like

He was a massive plus for me today. I think he gives us a guy in the backline capable of both doing a defensive job and taking some offensive pressure off Harbrow. I think his disposal is still 50/50 but there's huge potential there and man does he throw himself into a contest. That contest in the middle where he just bent down, got under Palmer and hit him while gaining possession was magic
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by James Cuming View Post
    Showed us a bit of what he can do.

He will further improve over the next few months.

Johnno will just get worse.
    Yes Johnson has had a poor year by his standards and should not escape criticism, however not sure of the need to put it in a thread about Wood.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post

He tends to be a little different to our other rebounders for mine; more of a straight ahead, see space & run into type of rebounder as opposed to Gilbee's long spot-ups, Harbrow's evasiveness and Shaggy running wide down the wing to deliver. Seems to favour the corridor much more.
    This part of his game really stood out today.

And as The Underdog posted while his kicking still isn't a great strength his ability to defend well and then split the opposition up the middle with his powerful runs mean he is going to develop into a pretty valuable player.

Nice that our improvement is coming from many of our young guys who are really stepping up to the plate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    This part of his game really stood out today.

And as The Underdog posted while his kicking still isn't a great strength his ability to defend well and then split the opposition up the middle with his powerful runs mean he is going to develop into a pretty valuable player.

Nice that our improvement is coming from many of our young guys who are really stepping up to the plate.
    Off topic, Ward's kicking is a bit up and down for mine. He delivered a beauty to Hall however missed a few set shots and missed his teammates on more than a few occasions. The ball just did not spin like a drop punt should. I hope he can get more consistency with his kicks in the next few weeks.

Post Thanks / Like

Great performance from Wood - he is a straight line footballer, and you could see his confidence growing before your eyes today

And fine timing starting this thread a week in advance DFA

Post Thanks / Like

It has just struck me how similar he is, with the long-distance power running especially, to Farren Ray. He is more powerful than Farren ever was, but other aspects of his game including his marking and kicking are quite similar really.

Post Thanks / Like

Wood was near our BOG at half-time for mine.
    I think any disposal deficiancies are because he tries to do too much at times, but that may be just a little to do with poise which will come with experience.
    His style of play is exactly the type that breaks down opposition zones. I'm convinced he will kick the longest goal in AFL history one day - will take the ball in the back pocket & run it the length of the field to put it through.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

I love watching this kid play and will really enjoy watching him develop in the coming years. With Wood coming on quicker than we all thought does this lessen the impact of Harbrow's likely departure to GC17?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anfo27 View Post
    I love watching this kid play and will really enjoy watching him develop in the coming years. With Wood coming on quicker than we all thought does this lessen the impact of Harbrow's likely departure to GC17?
    I'd been concerned about this, but Wood has been impressive. Here's hoping he can continue on the upward curve when...sorry, IF Jarrod goes.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dancin' Douggy View Post
    What a cracking game from Easton today.
    An absolute cracker.
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Yes it was a break out game for him. C
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post
    Great performance from Wood - he is a straight line footballer, and you could see his confidence growing before your eyes today

And fine timing starting this thread a week in advance DFA
    I'd like to claim uncanny prescience for this one, but I have to give some of the credit to Wood !

How about the lunging screamer he went for? Exhilarating stuff.

I love that he came down hard a few times, looked a bit rattled for a second, then just got on with it.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dfa4pm View Post

How about the lunging screamer he went for? Exhilarating stuff.

I love that he came down hard a few times, looked a bit rattled for a second, then just got on with it.
    While it was great from a spectator point I'm not sure the coaching staff would have been too thrilled. We were out-numbered 2 to 3 at the contest and when Easton crashed down without ball in hand we were out-numbered 1 to 3.

I'm not one to want players to not play to their strengths or without risk, but Easton has to be careful when deciding if the reward in this case was worth the risk. I guess when we are 12+ goals in front it is, but I would hope he would make a smarter decision if the game was in the balance.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scorlibo View Post
    It has just struck me how similar he is, with the long-distance power running especially, to Farren Ray. He is more powerful than Farren ever was, but other aspects of his game including his marking and kicking are quite similar really.
    Farren Who??

Farren's first option is to go backwards or sideways.
    The 2006 version is about the only one worth referencing when he burned down the wing at the G against the Pies.
    That Farren is dead to me.

I'm a little biased cos Easton's grandma lives across the road from me, but the kid can play. As can Brodie Moles. Neither should be out of our first 22 the rest of the season.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    While it was great from a spectator point I'm not sure the coaching staff would have been too thrilled. We were out-numbered 2 to 3 at the contest and when Easton crashed down without ball in hand we were out-numbered 1 to 3.

I'm not one to want players to not play to their strengths or without risk, but Easton has to be careful when deciding if the reward in this case was worth the risk. I guess when we are 12+ goals in front it is, but I would hope he would make a smarter decision if the game was in the balance.
    That's probably a pretty reasonable statement, I take your point.

But what would be said if he came down with it (and he didn't miss by much)? I'd rather see him do what comes naturally to him. It's working ok so far.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dfa4pm View Post
    That's probably a pretty reasonable statement, I take your point.

But what would be said if he came down with it (and he didn't miss by much)? I'd rather see him do what comes naturally to him. It's working ok so far.
    I am over "if's".