Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Johnno turned players against me: Akermanis

Source: AFL.com.au

SACKED Western Bulldog Jason Akermanis has fired a handful of parting shots at individuals at his former club, with captain Brad Johnson at the top of his list for not being “open and honest” with him.

The disgraced former Bulldog and Brisbane Lion was left reeling when he was sacked by the Dogs on Wednesday for multiple breaches of club confidentiality.

While he initially labelled the much-loved Johnson as a “wonderful guy”, he indicated the skipper played a large part in instigating the termination of his playing contract.

“I was disappointed early this week when he kept information from me,” Akermanis said on MTR on Thursday morning.

“He wanted to be honest and open yet Brad said in a meeting to the group, ‘Now, if you were to play with a player and this player was going to write negative stuff about you, would you want to play with him?’

Article in full, here

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Johnno turned players against me: Akermanis

Quote Originally Posted by arkie View Post
    Source: AFL.com.au

SACKED Western Bulldog Jason Akermanis has fired a handful of parting shots at individuals at his former club, with captain Brad Johnson at the top of his list for not being “open and honest” with him.

The disgraced former Bulldog and Brisbane Lion was left reeling when he was sacked by the Dogs on Wednesday for multiple breaches of club confidentiality.

While he initially labelled the much-loved Johnson as a “wonderful guy”, he indicated the skipper played a large part in instigating the termination of his playing contract.

“I was disappointed early this week when he kept information from me,” Akermanis said on MTR on Thursday morning.

“He wanted to be honest and open yet Brad said in a meeting to the group, ‘Now, if you were to play with a player and this player was going to write negative stuff about you, would you want to play with him?’

Article in full, here
    "Hmmm let me see who's character would I question Johnno's or Aker's, tough one".

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desipura View Post
    "Hmmm let me see who's character would I question Johnno's or Aker's, tough one".
    I'd rather make that judgement on the facts-if we ever get them- rather than who is a favourite son and who isn't.

What negative things did Aker actually write about team mates or the club administrators before he got sacked? Seriously, I don't know. If none, then this guy's been sacked for something the playing group suspect he *might* do. Minority Report stuff

Post Thanks / Like

None of this is worth going into

If you heard Jason this morning he was rambling and clearly sounded like he hadn't processed it all yet

Its natural for him to be a bit disappointed and speak out - but really there isnt much in any of it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stefcep View Post
    I'd rather make that judgement on the facts-if we ever get them- rather than who is a favourite son and who isn't.

What negative things did Aker actually write about team mates or the club administrators before he got sacked? Seriously, I don't know. If none, then this guy's been sacked for something the playing group suspect he *might* do. Minority Report stuff
    I agree with that. The club also said it was because of behaviours over the last 18 months. Well if it was happening for that long why did the club give him another contract just because he wanted to play again? According to the club he was breaking team rules yet they gave him a new contract? That's what I'm failing to understand in all of this!

Post Thanks / Like

According to the club he was breaking team rules yet they gave him a new contract? That's what I'm failing to understand in all of this!
    Wrongly as it turned out, the Dogs simply made the decision to give him another year as they surmised that he was a chance to contribute to a Dogs premiership in 2010. And coming off a great personal season the rationale was logical. Unfortunately the the scope and magnitude of his media commitments and the potential for this issue to conflict with his football role probably wasn't given enough regard, as alluded to by Lantern on another thread.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Wrongly as it turned out, the Dogs simply made the decision to give him another year as they surmised that he was a chance to contribute to a Dogs premiership in 2010. And coming off a great personal season the rationale was logical. Unfortunately the the scope and magnitude of his media commitments and the potential for this issue to conflict with his football role probably wasn't given enough regard, as alluded to by Lantern on another thread.
    That is completely hypocritical. The club has been going on about trust and the team comes before the individual. He was making these breaches before he was offered a new contract. Just because he was playing well and the club thought we were premiership chances this year shouldn't have been a reason to give him a new contract if they couldn't trust him. Everyone is saying Aker dug his own grave, but in the end it sounds like a lot of fault is on the club for letting it go on so long and not letting him retire at the end of last season when they couldn't trust him. Instead they let a guy who was already breaking team rules continue to do so right up until the near completion of the 2010 season.

Post Thanks / Like

That is completely hypocritical. The club has been going on about trust and the team comes before the individual. He was making these breaches before he was offered a new contract. Just because he was playing well and the club thought we were premiership chances this year shouldn't have been a reason to give him a new contract if they couldn't trust him. Everyone is saying Aker dug his own grave, but in the end it sounds like a lot of fault is on the club for letting it go on so long and not letting him retire at the end of last season when they couldn't trust him. Instead they let a guy who was already breaking team rules continue to do so right up until the near completion of the 2010 season.
    Perhaps the breaches were small enough in 2009 to constitute turning a blind eye to them, and the breaches in 2010 obviously could not.

In pursuit of the ultimate success, clubs will always do what they can to achieve this - hence why Carey wasn't sacked by North in his early 20's but when he was well in decline. Hence why West Coast covered up Cousins' nocturnal habits until they sauted the judges in 2006.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Perhaps the breaches were small enough in 2009 to constitute turning a blind eye to them, and the breaches in 2010 obviously could not.

In pursuit of the ultimate success, clubs will always do what they can to achieve this - hence why Carey wasn't sacked by North in his early 20's but when he was well in decline. Hence why West Coast covered up Cousins' nocturnal habits until they sauted the judges in 2006.
    Doesn't that defy the whole notion of team before individual, team rules etc... Doesn't this make the club hypocrites? So if Aker was our leading goalkicker this year and playing awesome footy he wouldn't have been sacked? Sounds like our club and other clubs according to you set double standards, thus making the club at fault in all of this.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it was minor before this year when he wasnt in the media so much but due to the paycut he was allowed to follow up more media stuff.
    In doing this the club was obviously wrong because the gay article really started the ball rolling bigtime.
    But can anyone see into the future?
    Being in his last year you would think he would have played a straight bat and gone out on a good note but sadly Aker and the media is good for media but not for his football club.

Post Thanks / Like

Doesn't that defy the whole notion of team before individual, team rules etc... Doesn't this make the club hypocrites? So if Aker was our leading goalkicker this year and playing awesome footy he wouldn't have been sacked? Sounds like our club and other clubs according to you set double standards, thus making the club at fault in all of this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stefcep View Post

Get a grip, he lied to the club about changing the article that went to press on homesexuals in the AFL, a clear breach of his contract. He spoke to Sam Newman about internal issues another breach of confidentiality. There are also other incidents which I cannot make public.

The club gave him plenty of opportunity to win the trust of the players, he didn't want to play AFL, he prefers to be a sensationalist in the press.

For gods sake, why didn't Aker just think about the situation 6 weeks ago, and said to himself, I only have half a season of footy left for the rest of my life, so just shut the f*!k up and play footy, then continue the media career.

Don't blame the club they have been very patient.

Now lets get on with giving Freo the biggest belting of all time.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice one bornadog.

Post Thanks / Like

As I said in my previous post, the club must have assessed Aker's previous indiscretions as minor (fair enough too as Aker barely caused a ripple at the club from 2007 to 2009), they then assessed his form and thought he was worth the punt to run around again. They erroneously undercooked the ramifications of Aker's greatly increased media work in making this decision.

The lure of a premiership would have been a factor in this decision without a doubt. Just as it was for Collingwood this week with their action to successfully bury the Dane Swan nightclub altercation story and release a 'user-friendly' version of events to the media, seeing as he is one of their best players.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post
    None of this is worth going into

If you heard Jason this morning he was rambling and clearly sounded like he hadn't processed it all yet

Its natural for him to be a bit disappointed and speak out - but really there isnt much in any of it
    Good point and I agree. The facts are not clear enough anyway.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Get a grip, he lied to the club about changing the article that went to press on homesexuals in the AFL, a clear breach of his contract. He spoke to Sam Newman about internal issues another breach of confidentiality. There are also other incidents which I cannot make public.

The club gave him plenty of opportunity to win the trust of the players, he didn't want to play AFL, he prefers to be a sensationalist in the press.

For gods sake, why didn't Aker just think about the situation 6 weeks ago, and said to himself, I only have half a season of footy left for the rest of my life, so just shut the f*!k up and play footy, then continue the media career.

Don't blame the club they have been very patient.

Now lets get on with giving Freo the biggest belting of all time.
    Excellent post. Some of the hysteria being spoken by some supporters is alarming