Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Johnno turned players against me: Akermanis

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Don't blame the club they have been very patient.
    Smorgon said today on SEN that there was a number of 'serious' incidents that culminated in the sacking. Exactly how many 'serious' incidents did we let slide?
    I would think by the 2nd one the hard decision should have been made.

You might think the club has been patient but it sounds like they should have been more pro-active.

FWIW, I think Eade did a great job in managing Akermanis but I'm not sure the club did the right things at the right time.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I've stepped back in the past 24 hours and had a look at the available information, and come to the conclusion that the club has done the right thing, albeit it's taken way too long and been handled incredibly badly. I've stuck up for Aker in the past few weeks but perhaps I was wrong. There. Said it. I was wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Perhaps the breaches were small enough in 2009 to constitute turning a blind eye to them, and the breaches in 2010 obviously could not.

In pursuit of the ultimate success, clubs will always do what they can to achieve this - hence why Carey wasn't sacked by North in his early 20's but when he was well in decline. Hence why West Coast covered up Cousins' nocturnal habits until they sauted the judges in 2006.
    Perhaps the team morale wasn't as bad last year as it is obviously this year. I mean, who knows right? We've all posted endless times on this forum that something was wrong this year, that something is going on behind closed doors that we weren't and still aren't privy to and it was obviously affecting the players.

What if this was it? We hear stories of crass text messages, tell-all books, bagging out team mates — I was upset they sacked Aker when I thought it was due to leaking to Sammy, but it's not. The players are unhappy. Which is a great coincidence, because our previously (<2010) super-tight bunch of players are PLAYING like they're unhappy with each other.

Until we know more, and we may never, I'll go with the club's decision and hope they can honour him correctly instead of sending him to the scrap heap — he is a champion, he does deserve it.

Get a grip, he lied to the club about changing the article that went to press on homesexuals in the AFL, a clear breach of his contract. He spoke to Sam Newman about internal issues another breach of confidentiality. There are also other incidents which I cannot make public.

The club gave him plenty of opportunity to win the trust of the players, he didn't want to play AFL, he prefers to be a sensationalist in the press.

For gods sake, why didn't Aker just think about the situation 6 weeks ago, and said to himself, I only have half a season of footy left for the rest of my life, so just shut the f*!k up and play footy, then continue the media career.

Now lets get on with giving Freo the biggest belting of all time.
    We hope. As ever, hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Excellent post. Some of the hysteria being spoken by some supporters is alarming
    If I read one more of these posts on here I'm gonna go schizo. This is not a personal attack mate, I'm just using your particular post as an example to represent the dozens I've read already, don't want to quote them all.

The fans you belittle pay as much for their memberships as you do. They're upset. They're entitled to an opinion, they pay for that right, and the constant “we're better supporters than they are” attitude on this forum sometimes really sucks. Horses for courses. We all say to hell with the bandwagoners, but when their money disappears we'll be battling again.

It might be habit for Bulldogs fans, but questioning the club is healthy. It makes for a great club, an accountable club, and that's only ever a good thing. I doubt their opinions are influencing policy so let them voice them.

Post Thanks / Like

Jason needs to be responsible for his own actions, rather than looking for others to blame.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by arkie View Post
    I agree with that. The club also said it was because of behaviours over the last 18 months. Well if it was happening for that long why did the club give him another contract just because he wanted to play again? According to the club he was breaking team rules yet they gave him a new contract? That's what I'm failing to understand in all of this!
    Exactly... and they gave him repeated warnings (six at the end of '08 wasn't it?)...why the hell did they let it drag out so long? Answer - he was playing well, and like Brisbane, his actions were only penalised as his form dropped.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Perhaps the breaches were small enough in 2009 to constitute turning a blind eye to them, and the breaches in 2010 obviously could not.

In pursuit of the ultimate success, clubs will always do what they can to achieve this - hence why Carey wasn't sacked by North in his early 20's but when he was well in decline. Hence why West Coast covered up Cousins' nocturnal habits until they sauted the judges in 2006.
    They indicated these "breaches" were contributing factors to the "loss of trust", and hence, the termination. Very poor form for them to allow it to drag out like that.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Get a grip, he lied to the club about changing the article that went to press on homesexuals in the AFL, a clear breach of his contract. He spoke to Sam Newman about internal issues another breach of confidentiality. There are also other incidents which I cannot make public.
    Nor can the club make them known to Aker, apparently.

[QUOTE=bornadog;165777]The club gave him plenty of opportunity to win the trust of the players, he didn't want to play AFL, he prefers to be a sensationalist in the press. /QUOTE]

And that's one reason I'm so angry with them. They kept giving him warning after warning. They didn't show the leadership required, knowing his history and modus operandi, and do something about it. They let it go on and on and on. Until it became "untenable". He didn't stop - fair enough. But they didn't put things into place to stop him either.

Now lets get on with giving Freo the biggest belting of all time.
    Patient, to the point of ineffective (when it came to putting a stop to the 'incidents'.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post
    None of this is worth going into

If you heard Jason this morning he was rambling and clearly sounded like he hadn't processed it all yet

Its natural for him to be a bit disappointed and speak out - but really there isnt much in any of it
    Aker always seems to be rambling about stuff he hasn't processed yet.
    His major basic flaw in a nutshell.

Post Thanks / Like

“I was really disappointed in the last couple of days, and certainly in the last week, with how Sam Newman said what he said,” he said.
    The above Aker quote says it all for me. It seems that in his mind, telling Sam the details of the private team meeting was ok. The problem according to Aker is that Sam told everybody else. He even goes as far as to say that he can't control Sam.

Well guess what Aker, if you don't tell Sam in the first place, there isn't any problem.

Post Thanks / Like

Aker loses credibility when he sheets the blame to others.

Post Thanks / Like

I found it absurd that Aker was using this "They told me I was on a clean slate" thing as an argument to back his own case up.

All it did was made me think that he'd been in trouble a fair bit before this year also - and that his behaviour was already an issue if he had to have a contract and 'evidence' (as he put it) to show that past indiscretions are not held against him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post

And that's one reason I'm so angry with them. They kept giving him warning after warning. They didn't show the leadership required, knowing his history and modus operandi, and do something about it. They let it go on and on and on. Until it became "untenable". He didn't stop - fair enough. But they didn't put things into place to stop him either.
    I'm interested to know what you think should have been done earlier to stop it becoming untenable?

More meetings
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I'm interested to know what you think should have been done earlier to stop it becoming untenable?

More meetings
    They should have given him a set number of warnings... 3 strikes maybe. If the pattern of behaviour Rocket referred to had been continuing over 18 months, they should have implemented a sanction (suspension for example) for these breaches. But they just kept warning him. Repeated warnings with no real consequence don't work.

Post Thanks / Like

They should have given him a set number of warnings... 3 strikes maybe. If the pattern of behaviour Rocket referred to had been continuing over 18 months, they should have implemented a sanction (suspension for example) for these breaches. But they just kept warning him. Repeated warnings with no real consequence don't work.
    My best guess is that there were some legal issues here. I assume that the club was following legal advice and wanted to prevent any legal action by Aker following his termination.

If correct, and given we don't know all the facts nor the legal advice, it is possible the club played all this in a way that satisfied legal requirements, not image/PR etc considerations.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    My best guess is that there were some legal issues here. I assume that the club was following legal advice and wanted to prevent any legal action by Aker following his termination.

If correct, and given we don't know all the facts nor the legal advice, it is possible the club played all this in a way that satisfied legal requirements, not image/PR etc considerations.
    Probably right...assuming that is the case, and given the alleged breaches over a period of 18 months, they should've closed the chequebook last year.

Post Thanks / Like

Probably right...assuming that is the case, and given the alleged breaches over a period of 18 months, they should've closed the chequebook last year.
    Yes, but they rolled the dice and got it wrong on another level too - Aker's body wasn't up to it in 2010.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.