Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Young Dog Jamason Daniels stands on needle

* Sam Landsberger
    * July 26, 2010 12:00AM

Rookie-listed Jamason Daniels will undergo periodic blood tests starting in August after the incident which occurred in the Northern Bullants' away rooms on Saturday.

Daniels was walking barefoot when he stepped on the needle which pierced his skin and drew blood.

The pacy midfielder played his VFL reserves match and is considered a "thousands and thousands-to-one chance" of contracting a disease, but the Bulldogs medical staff will take no risks.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/af...-1225896806214

Hope all goes well for Jamason.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Young Dog Jamason Daniels stands on needle

Quote Originally Posted by The Dogs Bollocks View Post
    * Sam Landsberger
    * July 26, 2010 12:00AM

Rookie-listed Jamason Daniels will undergo periodic blood tests starting in August after the incident which occurred in the Northern Bullants' away rooms on Saturday.

Daniels was walking barefoot when he stepped on the needle which pierced his skin and drew blood.

The pacy midfielder played his VFL reserves match and is considered a "thousands and thousands-to-one chance" of contracting a disease, but the Bulldogs medical staff will take no risks.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/af...-1225896806214

Hope all goes well for Jamason.
    This is shocking! I understand accidents happen, but this is so unprofessional it beggars belief! What if he DID contract HIV? I hope he's OK and has lots of family around, I'm sure his mates will be there for him too…

Post Thanks / Like

Williamstown AND the Bulldogs should put in an official complaint, and games to not be played at this shit hole, not only did the ground look like a tip, but the needles as well!!!

I quoted this bit.."We do get our fair share of syringes found near the fence but certainly not in the rooms."

That is pathetic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mighty_west View Post
    Williamstown AND the Bulldogs should put in an official complaint, and games to not be played at this shit hole, not only did the ground look like a tip, but the needles as well!!!

I quoted this bit.."We do get our fair share of syringes found near the fence but certainly not in the rooms."

That is pathetic.
    I agree. At suburban level most clubs would do a sweep of the rooms on the morning of a game. At VFL level this is just unacceptable. Very unprofessional from the Northern Bullants and their affiliate club.
    [CENTER][B]WOOF Member 315[/B][/CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornAScragger View Post
    This is shocking! I understand accidents happen, but this is so unprofessional it beggars belief! What if he DID contract HIV? I hope he's OK and has lots of family around, I'm sure his mates will be there for him too…
    Thankfully the odds of contracting HIV from a needle stick injury are virtually zero - you would have better odds of winning Powerball 10 weeks in a row. The likelyhood of contracting other blood borne diseases, such as Hepatitis B or Hepatitis C are higher, but still are extremely low.

One thing the article doesn't mention is where the syringe came from - whether it was left there by one of our trainers after injecting a pain killer, or if it was already present before the team arrived having been left there by an IV drug user. If it was the former there is no issue in terms of disease contraction but there is an OH&S issue.

If it was the latter than there is a far greater chance that any blood in the syringe was from a Hep C positive person. Hep C is very common amongst IV drug users, but unless the blood is fresh and a significant amount is injected, then it is also highly unlikely that Jamason would be in any danger. The unfortunate thing regarding Hep C though is that there is no antiviral treatment that can be given prophylactically, unlike HIV and Hep B, if the source blood is from a known Hep C positive patient.

The regime of blood tests that Jamason will undergo is standard for patients who have a needle stick injury from an unknown source.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flamethrower View Post
    Thankfully the odds of contracting HIV from a needle stick injury are virtually zero - you would have better odds of winning Powerball 10 weeks in a row. The likelyhood of contracting other blood borne diseases, such as Hepatitis B or Hepatitis C are higher, but still are extremely low.

One thing the article doesn't mention is where the syringe came from - whether it was left there by one of our trainers after injecting a pain killer, or if it was already present before the team arrived having been left there by an IV drug user. If it was the former there is no issue in terms of disease contraction but there is an OH&S issue.

If it was the latter than there is a far greater chance that any blood in the syringe was from a Hep C positive person. Hep C is very common amongst IV drug users, but unless the blood is fresh and a significant amount is injected, then it is also highly unlikely that Jamason would be in any danger. The unfortunate thing regarding Hep C though is that there is no antiviral treatment that can be given prophylactically, unlike HIV and Hep B, if the source blood is from a known Hep C positive patient.

The regime of blood tests that Jamason will undergo is standard for patients who have a needle stick injury from an unknown source.
    Thanks for the info... I knew it was a remote possibility of contracting a disease in this manner, but good to read just the same...

Shocking that this could happen though...
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flamethrower View Post

Great work mate, very insightful. Cheers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mighty_west View Post

That is pathetic.
    I walked on the outside of the fence in the 3rd quarter on the Mary St wing and you're right, the joint's an absolute mess. There was all sorts of rubbish in open view near toilets on that side of the ground which my wife made comment on.

Cramer Street's a bit of a no go area during the week - a group drinks there under the trees behind those goals, a mix of intimidating and sad. I like Preston, nice era of homes that have just boomed real estate wise, but parts of it are still just ....
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs