Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Power Balance Bands

Have many people heard of these ??

There has been a lot of speculation about these bands ... they are reported to give you more core strength and importantly balance. There was a few television articles on these (Today Tonight) and its refuted powers. The band is said to have performance technology through the use of a holographic disc embedded in the silicone rubber.

I have been wearing one for the last six weeks (and whether it is psychological or not) I definitely notice a difference ... I feel more stable when playing sport (or chasing truant kids at work )

The reason I am raising it on this forum goes back to the game against the Eagles five weeks ago. At training I noticed a number of our players wearing the bands. I spoke to the team manager who said that most players are wearing them on game day taped up on their wrist. Today, when I viewed the photos on the AFL website of the game against the Dockers, I noticed just how many of our players have one wrist taped.

These bands are prevalent in other sports :-

I love this last image of Fevola wearing the band above the tape

What do people know about the bands and in particular our players using them ??
    Last edited by Scraggers; 26-07-2010 at 05:33 PM. Reason: Image too big
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Power Balance Bands

There are a few guys at my work who are into MMA and they swear by them. One guy gave me a before and after test while I was wearing one and swore my resistance level was higher with it on.

I didn't notice any difference. I remain open mindedly sceptical.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

How much are they and just wondering are they worth the money? thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doggies FTW View Post
    How much are they and just wondering are they worth the money? thanks
    Thats the thing ... I'm not sure if they are worth it.

I can tell you how I THINK it has helped me (core strength, balance, confidence etc), but how much of this is psychological and how much of this is real ??

But in a world where our coach says 90% of today's game is played above the shoulders then ...

Monetary value ... you can get them at most gyms etc for about $60
    Last edited by Scraggers; 26-07-2010 at 07:23 PM.
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

Surely we wouldn't use them if they didn't work?

Post Thanks / Like

A friend of mine began wearing one recently and said it helped him significantly with back and neck pain.

I'll remain skeptical until there is some irrefutable (or close to it) scientific evidence, but I'm keen to give one a go for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scorlibo View Post
    Surely we wouldn't use them if they didn't work?
    That's my point exactly ... There must be something to them, but is it all above the shoulders
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone know the science behind them? For what reasons are they supposed to work? I have seen blokes at my footy club wearing them, but they couldn't tell me what properties the wristbands had for improving balance etc.

Post Thanks / Like

I was under the impression that it has something to do with magnets and blood circulation, but I could be wrong.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    I was under the impression that it has something to do with magnets and blood circulation, but I could be wrong.
    Yeah, I think that's something like it.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Mate of mine wears one, he reckons he has noticed improvement in his balance but I remain sceptical.

Post Thanks / Like

Some of my mates have them and reckon they are great. They also apparently cure sea sickness according to a family friend. As a side note, apparently if they break or are unsatisfactory they will replace it free of charge.

I however, remain sceptical.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Definitely no magnets in them (dunno about the blood circulation part though) ... They have a holographic disc in them ... The same sought that you use to stop static electricity when working on computers.
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

I had always thought that it was supposed to improve the circulation, can't remember where I read that. However, there is absolutely no proof behind it, or the concepts which it purports to be utilising.

I'm studying to be a physio, and one of the main things they teach us is to ensure we have evidence to back up any treatment or techniques. So, no Power Balance bands for me.

One quote I read which made me laugh:
    "Your Balance Band may improve your balance, but I have a ring that keeps dragons away. I have worn if for years and never seen a single dragon."
    If you don't have proof for your power band, why do I need proof for my anti-dragon ring?

Post Thanks / Like

It's meant to do something like balance your body's natural energetic fields.