Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dogs' box-to-bench radio link infiltrated

The umpires use the same equipment. You can buy a receiver from Tandy or Dick Smith and listen to the umpire's mikes during the games - it gets boring very quickly.

I can't see what advantage this would give other teams - any decent coaching staff can detect moves by the opposition very quickly - just listen to Malthouse on SEN on Friday nights to see how quickly he picks up changes in game plans and postional moves.

Post Thanks / Like

I reckon this would be interesting to listen too live, but not after a match. It would be the closest most would ever get to experiencing what it's like inside the box during a game, and it would be cool to watch the moves as they happened.

This isn't to say I condone the activity though.

Post Thanks / Like

Western Bulldogs' hack fears

WESTERN Bulldogs coach Rodney Eade says rival clubs have used intelligence obtained by radio operators hacking into the Dogs' matchday communications.
    And one hacker exclusively explained how he bugged the Bulldogs coaching box with an off-the-shelf scanning device.

"(You can't put your) head in the sand," Eade said. "I think any advantage that people can get, people will take it. There's no doubt about that.

"There's clubs and organisations that are now working (on) ways where you can't be listened in to.

"On Grand Final day you'd hate to think it would cost you a game."

Eade revealed he first suspected his radio communications were being hacked when he coached Sydney - he was in charge of the Swans from 1996 to 2002.

The Herald Sun believes radio operators have hacked into match-day communications between coaches and their players and assistants at several clubs.

Collingwood coach Mick Malthouse and St Kilda coach Ross Lyon are believed to have been among those left exposed by the clandestine activities.

Audio from the Western Bulldogs box at the Bulldogs-Fremantle game at Etihad Stadium last Sunday, accessed by a scanner, was broadcast on 3AW.

It featured the voices of Eade and interchange bench staff and revealed moves, including directions to the bench to move to a four-man forward line.

"Some of the voices I heard are actually people down on the bench," Eade said on 3AW.

"It's picking up two-way communication. There's no doubt in my mind that (hacking) happens. Certainly when I was in Sydney I thought it, and ... at some grounds there's no doubt you're worried about the boxes being bugged."

Eade said the Bulldogs were working to introduce an encrypted system to foil hackers as quick as possible.

The breaches could leave the clubs at a major disadvantage if rival clubs were to gain access to the audio, either in real time or recorded form.

At least one Melbourne club has been offered access to the audio. A source at the club said the offer was rejected, explaining "our lives wouldn't be worth living" if it was discovered by the AFL.

One radio operator who has listened in on matchday communications told the Herald Sun the analogue or digital receivers used cost $600-$1000 and were available from electronics shops.

The operator, who declined to be named, said the devices could pick up radio waves from coaching boxes from up to 1km.

The Herald Sun has listened to the tapes played in concert with footage from a game.

A recording from last year's finals series involved a current coach speaking about a former star in derogatory terms.

The Herald Sun heard one coach barking instructions, including to "f------ man up".

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/af...-1225898192178
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mighty_west View Post
    3AW have just played bits of the tape from one of our games, which include moves, sets ups etc etc, this guy who taps into the frequency listens to Doggies & North games on a regular basis, Rocket seemed to think that this had gone on since his days at Sydney.

He quote often wondered how the opposition had made a move to counter his own, before his players had taken their possies.

Nothing is sacred.
    Quite possibly may be the reason some coaches are now coaching from the bench.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KT31 View Post
    Quite possibly may be the reason some coaches are now coaching from the bench.
    They would still communicate with the assistants up stairs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flamethrower View Post
    The umpires use the same equipment. You can buy a receiver from Tandy or Dick Smith and listen to the umpire's mikes during the games - it gets boring very quickly.

I can't see what advantage this would give other teams - any decent coaching staff can detect moves by the opposition very quickly - just listen to Malthouse on SEN on Friday nights to see how quickly he picks up changes in game plans and postional moves.
    If a coach can get a 20-30 second advantage with a certain move, easily enough time to sneak a goal here or there, Rocket mentioned that moves had been made as soon as his took place at times, given no sneaky advantage what so ever.

Then we also have issues with coaches comments about players behind the glass, which i am sure the club would not want to get back to certain players.

Post Thanks / Like

Jeez, when I was a kid we'd just listen in to the cops on my uncle's CB radio! ...
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Cooney17 Guest

To be honest I would be very disappointed if any club used this to their advantage, it's not in the spirit of the game, I would hope that AFL clubs have to much respect for each other. And if I found out that we were using these sort of tactics I would be very unhappy with the club.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mighty_west View Post
    They would still communicate with the assistants up stairs.
    Fair point.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.