Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: A soft touch

Post Thanks / Like

A soft touch

MARTIN FLANAGAN
    July 29, 2010

Hard man Barry Hall is a hit with the kids.

The Western Bulldogs' Bob Murphy describes Barry Hall as an old-fashioned working-class gentleman.

Bulldogs assistant coach Paul Williams, who played with Hall in Sydney's 2006 premiership, says that's one way of putting it. In their days at the Swans, Williams invited Hall round to his place to watch the footy. The game began, Williams found himself watching alone. Hall was in a colouring-in competition with Williams' two daughters on the back table. Coach Rodney Eade's word for Hall as a person is ''respectful''. Of his relationship with children, Eade says: ''He loves kids and they're attracted to him.''

Full article

Post Thanks / Like

Re: A soft touch

I had a chuckle to myself after reading the line from the school's literacy co-ordinator.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberdoggie View Post
    I had a chuckle to myself after reading the line from the school's literacy co-ordinator.
    As an Educator myself, this scares me !!
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

On the Sunday Morning Footy Show about 4 - 5 years ago they showed a Ford (???) ad, showed Barry Hall at an Auskick clinic; playing the whole team by himself. Absolute crack up, i havent seen it since. Hopefully it's on you-tube somewhere!

Post Thanks / Like

Matthew Shawcross, the school's vice-principal, says the difference between footballers who are good with kids and footballers who are not is the good ones listen.

Yep. I've attended a lot of these clinics/functions thru the years, most of the players are good, a few are awesome (Matt Bode, absolute champion bloke) and a few simply should have stayed home.

At one an "all australian" turned up 30 minutes late (lives around the corner), and spoke to mates on his mobile phone most of the time.

I guess it's a matter of whatever effort they chose to put in, they get it back with interest.

Was at a birthday party last year and a few of the Crows were there. One of them spoke to one of my kids for about an hour about their mutual love of WWE. I was bored to the back teeth, tried to butt in and mentioned supercoach or something. They both glared at me, grunted, and then went back to talking about wrestling...

So I wondered off and got more beer.

Post Thanks / Like

Years back I was working at a school when Aaron Hamill was at Carlton. He was OK with the kids, but I think most of them were more intelligent
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Wardy and Griffen were at St Albans this week, both didnt seem interested in being there from what i am told by a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Wardy and Griffen were at St Albans this week, both didnt seem interested in being there from what i am told by a teacher.
    Actually have got similar vibes from Shaun Higgins at the family days I've been to.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    Actually have got similar vibes from Shaun Higgins at the family days I've been to.
    that's a shame. Good ol' Barry. Loved reading that.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    To be fair to the guys not everyone is great with kids.

Post Thanks / Like

That article displays everything that makes the Western suburbs such a great place. Different ethinic groups coming together, learningabout each other and then getting together and barracking for the Bulldogs!

Hope they can convert that little **** in the Collingwood scarf. In fact where did they find a kid who barracked for Collingwood? They must have bussed him in with the news team.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

When I saw Ward at a handball comp, he came accross as shy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by theimmortalmike View Post
    To be fair to the guys not everyone is great with kids.
    Absolutely. My girlfriend is the most lovely female I've ever met — horrible with kids though… Me? Well, sometimes I'm a total jerk, but I love kids and if I had my way I'd have 73 of them…