Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Terry Wallace cost us a flag: Luke Darcy

Bang, take that Terry.

Terry Wallace cost us a flag: Luke Darcy

* Sam Edmund
    * July 30, 2010 1:57PM

LUKE Darcy says the Western Bulldogs would have won a premiership in the late 1990s if then-coach Terry Wallace had been able to cope with feedback from players.

Throwing his support behind the much-debated Leading Teams concept, Darcy claimed Wallace’s refusal to listen to the playing group cost the club a flag.

“It is my absolute belief that the Bulldogs would have won a premiership in the late ’90s had the coach felt secure enough in himself to accept input from the playing group,” Darcy wrote in an explosive column the AFL website.

“Unfortunately, Terry Wallace wasn’t the right character to handle this feedback; he believed that players meeting among themselves would lead to discontent. Not surprisingly, the Richmond players shared a similar experience following Terry’s five-year stint at Tigerland.

“When you create an environment that doesn’t allow people below you in a team to challenge your ideas, it makes it hard for them to develop and improve.”

Article in full: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/af...-1225899041655

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Terry Wallace cost us a flag: Luke Darcy

Its a pretty strong article from Darce...and not surprisingly has grab a headline as a result.

I'm not super impressed that it will be a discussion point.

Post Thanks / Like

Very strong, forthright views expressed in this one. I wonder if the by-line had a different name, whether the public response would change? He certainly hasn't pulled the punches.

I think claiming that the Leading Team approach would have stopped Carey's life from going 'off the rails' is a bit of a stretch.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Gotta say it's that long ago it's probably irrelevant. Wallace on SEN has got his back up,saying he could name players who let us down. Funny I think Terry's got a touch of the Akers and never made a mistake.

I.e put a player in the hole in front of Jarman!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    Very strong, forthright views expressed in this one. I wonder if the by-line had a different name, whether the public response would change? He certainly hasn't pulled the punches.

I think claiming that the Leading Team approach would have stopped Carey's life from going 'off the rails' is a bit of a stretch.
    Got no love for Wallace but I think Darce has gone to far.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't want to open up old wounds Darce.

The 97 loss hurt so much! That game is just one I want to wipe from my memory.

Post Thanks / Like

Not too sure what Darce has to achieve by writing something like this.

Those finals are long gone, Wallace has also been gone a long time from the club.

What's the point!

Post Thanks / Like

A bit harsh by Darcy,we also may of won if he put in alittle more of an effort,either way its something we'll never know.As Wallace said on SEN its alot easier to say these things looking back.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mighty_west View Post

Those finals are long gone, Wallace has also been gone a long time from the club.

What's the point!
    I don't think he was having a dig at Wallace directly, more backing up the leading teams concept.

The way in which he went about it was poorly thought out though.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

If Darcy could kick straight from 25 metres out straight in front........

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    Don't want to open up old wounds Darce.

The 97 loss hurt so much! That game is just one I want to wipe from my memory.
    Me too, I would prefer not to think about it.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

I think Luke loves the club and has been sucked into commenting through Akers stirring, its a go at Aker more than anything.
    The club itself is not getting sucked in , let the people who love the club that are involved in the media deal with him.
    Interesting postcript is if Aker goes into the TV media, I would say 90% of the former players who do media dont agree with Aker, who would want to work with him?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mighty_west View Post

What's the point!
    Right Mighty_wester.

I think a lot of people are being dragged into the swirling murky, negative wake of the HMS Akermanis.

Bit of a cheap shot don't you think Luke?

Football clubs are like any community. Lots of different kinds of people. I'm not sure the leading teams program would have worked for Gary Ablett Senior, Tony Lockett or Poly Farmer. One size does not fit all.

Anyway, In Jason's case, it never became an issue until his mate Sam Newman made it one. .

In short, don't like the negative vibes frankly.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Right Mighty_wester.

I think a lot of people are being dragged into the swirling murky, negative wake of the HMS Akermanis.

Bit of a cheap shot don't you think Luke?

Football clubs are like any community. Lots of different kinds of people. I'm not sure the leading teams program would have worked for Gary Ablett Senior, Tony Lockett or Poly Farmer. One size does not fit all.

Anyway, In Jason's case, it never became an issue until his mate Sam Newman made it one. .

In short, don't like the negative vibes frankly.
    Or, alternatively, the Leading Teams program may have got these two a premiership medal.

Not sure why you grouped Polly Farmer with the other two?

Post Thanks / Like

I would have thought kicking 0.6 in the last quarter was a bigger factor in us not making the GF. To repeat Wallets words, cheap shot at an easy target.
    The curse is dead.