Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Terry Wallace cost us a flag: Luke Darcy

Quote Originally Posted by Before I Die View Post
    Or, alternatively, the Leading Teams program may have got these two a premiership medal.
    How would it have done that? How would the leading teams program have helped Gary Ablett Senior kick 10 goals instead of 9.1? It's a pretty big stretch.

P. Farmer was not afraid to give his view and was famously outspoken. Hence the name 'Polly' the parrot.

Anyway, part of it is it's a new thing. Players would probably be used to leading teams if it was there from day one and they could see the benefits. The only players who seem to question it are the has-beens.

I've had to do similar things at work and Uni before, years ago. It gets to the stage, after a while, where you find ways to get around seeing it as being highly personal and just take suggestions on board without getting your back up. However, at first it's really challenging.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    I would have thought kicking 0.6 in the last quarter was a bigger factor in us not making the GF. To repeat Wallets words, cheap shot at an easy target.
    Totally agree, never forget Mark West missing that running goal right in front.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Ghost Dog;167692

I think a lot of people are being dragged into the swirling murky, negative wake of the HMS Akermanis.

Bit of a cheap shot don't you think Luke?

Football clubs are like any community. Lots of different kinds of people. I'm not sure the leading teams program would have worked for Gary Ablett Senior, Tony Lockett or Poly Farmer. One size does not fit all.

Anyway, In Jason's case, it never became an issue until his mate Sam Newman made it one. .

In short, don't like the negative vibes frankly.[/QUOTE]

I totally agree Ghost Dog, we have had enough of the negatives........we have got to look forward now, not back. It's done and dusted and a part of history and whilst it still hurts more than I care to recall, nothing will change it. I, for one, would rather look forward to September 2010 with lots of positive energy

Post Thanks / Like

The OP and the article raises an interesting point - how does Eade cope with this I wonder?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

I would have thought kicking 0.6 in the last quarter was a bigger factor in us not making the GF. To repeat Wallets words, cheap shot at an easy target.
    Letting Nigel Smart tear us a new one at CHF when the best CHB of our generation was in the goalsquare freezing his knackers.

Letting Darren Jarman go beserk at FF on Todd Curley while Steve Kretiuk was nowhere to be seen.

Wallace can't walk away from a least his share of the blame. I won't even start on '98.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    Letting Nigel Smart tear us a new one at CHF when the best CHB of our generation was in the goalsquare freezing his knackers.

Letting Darren Jarman go beserk at FF on Todd Curley while Steve Kretiuk was nowhere to be seen.

Wallace can't walk away from a least his share of the blame. I won't even start on '98.
    I agree with that, but the players have to take their share of responsibility too(and the majority would). We can't back away from the fact we had half a dozen chances to ice the game in the last quarter but we didn't take any of these.

It is as much the players fault as it is Wallets(IMO anyway).
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with that, but the players have to take their share of responsibility too(and the majority would). We can't back away from the fact we had half a dozen chances to ice the game in the last quarter but we didn't take any of these.

It is as much the players fault as it is Wallets(IMO anyway).
    Don't forget he was talking about 97 98 and 99 in his article not just one year

Post Thanks / Like

Agree.. Grant in the hole for the last 5 minutes we win a flag

Post Thanks / Like

Was the Libba goal, really a goal?

My mates to this day still claim it was, they were sitting right there. I didn't get a good look at it because i was in the Southern Stand, but they are 100% positive that it was.

Post Thanks / Like

Agree with that, but potting Teflon's coaching tactics on the day is a completely different argument from the suggestion that his inability to deal with player feedback cost us a flag. When we were 4 goals up at 3/4 tims of the 97 prelim, I doubt very much that the so-called lack of player feedback was much of a problem.

I reckon Darce has led with his chin on this article - by all means write a positive article on Leading Teams but there was no need to discredit Teflon's coaching record for us in the process (which to be fair was very good from 97-99), not to mention Pagan's in winning 2 flags. This article and subsequent fall-out has done nothing other than add some unnecessary oxygen to the tired old thrown-out piece of fish & chip paper that is the Aker sacking.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JH40 View Post
    Totally agree, never forget Mark West missing that running goal right in front.
    Me neither, unfortunately. Wasn't Chris Grant standing by himself in the goal square?