Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Johnson, Hall can go on says Eade

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Johnson, Hall can go on says Eade

I would hope that how Johnno performs in the finals ways heavily on the decision made.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    I would hope that how Johnno performs in the finals ways heavily on the decision made.
    I agree completely
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Johnson has enough footy for the balance of the season to show that he deserves another year.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Johnno deserves to be a 400 game immortal - let's hope his body and form allow it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flamethrower View Post
    Johnno deserves to be a 400 game immortal - let's hope his body and form allow it.
    Also I hope he recognizes when his body has had enough. The mind may say yes but the body will say no way.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

This is something we utterly fail at as a club sometimes, honouring our veterans… I still hurt at what we did to Dougie. Whilst generally you find yourself agreeing with the club when they say a player is past it and having trouble accepting that fact, I think it's bullshit that a player reaches 30, then for the next 5—6 years (if they're lucky to last that long) every time they get injured or have a small form drop their careers are in doubt.

If form were to be a factor, you'd need to 1. show the drop over a substantial period of time, not just the weeks following an injury and 2. show the young kid who offers more to the side, worthy of replacing a champion such as Johnson, West, Grant, Hawkins, etc who have bled for the club for decades.

Proof: Look at Dustin Fletcher. Oldest man in the comp.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornAScragger View Post
    1. show the drop over a substantial period of time, not just the weeks following an injury
    Disagree. If the player spends half the season injured or recovering from injury, then it's probably time
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gogriff View Post
    Disagree. If the player spends half the season injured or recovering from injury, then it's probably time
    By that logic we should have retired Johnno in 2008 as he seemed to carry an injury every second week. We then would have missed his awesome year last year (5th in the B&F). As a game I feel we retire our champions too early, I think if the player wants to go on and the only thing physically wrong with them is age then it's play on as far as I'm concerned.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornAScragger View Post
    This is something we utterly fail at as a club sometimes, honouring our veterans… I still hurt at what we did to Dougie. Whilst generally you find yourself agreeing with the club when they say a player is past it and having trouble accepting that fact, I think it's bullshit that a player reaches 30, then for the next 5—6 years (if they're lucky to last that long) every time they get injured or have a small form drop their careers are in doubt.

If form were to be a factor, you'd need to 1. show the drop over a substantial period of time, not just the weeks following an injury and 2. show the young kid who offers more to the side, worthy of replacing a champion such as Johnson, West, Grant, Hawkins, etc who have bled for the club for decades.

Proof: Look at Dustin Fletcher. Oldest man in the comp.
    Proof: Andy McLeod, Tyson Edwards and Simon Goodwin couldn't get a kick between them.

Most of the really good players don't know when it's time and nearly all end up getting the tap on the shoulder.

Post Thanks / Like

As long as we all can see Johnno in a send off game fit enough to play, not calling it quits due injury. He deserves that respect.

Go Dogs..............................