Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

The same contenders, a new look

WITH two minutes to play on Sunday afternoon, with the Dogs clinging to an eight-point lead in the steady rain, the Crows broke from the Dogs half-back line and ran aggressively forward.

The waterlogged ball was kicked hopefully forward where Crow Kurt Tippett and Bulldog Easton Wood waited.

It was a mismatch, but not in the way you might figure.

As the play that turned the match loomed, the 201-centimetre, 100-kilogram Tippett should have been able to out-manoeuvre the 185-centimetre, 82-kilogram Bulldog.

But the ball sailed into space, rather than to the contest, and the two protagonists ran onto it with Tippett better positioned to take possession and run into goal.

In the wet, the ball skidded and Wood was able to snake an arm in front of Tippett and punch the ball towards the boundary. The Crow forward then went to ground while a more-deft Wood kept his feet and was able to gather and send the ball back from whence it came for the last time for the match.

That effort and the fact that Jarrad Grant all but sealed the win by kicking the only goal of the quarter are indicative of how the Bulldogs are better this year.

With the top four decided after last weekend's games and with it being the same as the top four of last year it's worth noting that it is the Bulldogs and Collingwood that look the two different teams, where as last season Geelong and St Kilda were the best two sides.

This season has a different complexion because there is an evenness about the top four created by subtle yet fundamental change.

Collingwood and the Bulldogs are better for the players they have brought in. St Kilda has only really brought in one new player in Brett Peake whose added pace is obviated by his poor disposal.

The recruit that was supposed to do that infamously left the club before playing a game. Andrew Lovett is gone, but cannot be forgotten. His committal hearing on rape charges begins today and Saints players will be called.

The Bulldogs and Collingwood welcomed big ticket names Barry Hall, Darren Jolly and Luke Ball with both teams considerably better for their arrivals.

But lesser names have altered the complexion of the Dogs almost as much. Wood, for one, has become a regular after playing two games last year because of a reliability and maturity to his game.

Jarrad Grant played one game last year but with his height, pace and class it is unthinkable that he will not be a significant player in September.

Jordan Roughead only made his debut this year but he has in the space of six games made life tough for Will Minson's designs on second ruck. There is more versatility and athleticism to Roughead's game. The quandary for Rodney Eade is whether, in the heat of finals against the big bodies, he goes with superior young talent or superior older strength.

Brodie Moles has also less obviously added depth to the Dogs' midfield.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-new...809-11u19.html
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The same contenders, a new look

Journos are starting to find out about the quiet revolution happening at the Dogs.

Healy mentioned the pups on Sunday. Guys like Grant, Wood, Jones, Roughead, Moles, Stack, and even Everitt (who is still only 21) and Ward (20) have injected some enthusiasm as well as competition for places in the team. Whether these players can stand the vigor of finals is another thing.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Journos are starting to find out about the quiet revolution happening at the Dogs.

Healy mentioned the pups on Sunday. Guys like Grant, Wood, Roughead, Moles, Stack, and even Everitt (who is still only 21) and Ward (20) have injected some enthusiasm as well as competition for places in the team. Whether these players can stand the vigor of finals is another thing.
    I heard him mention Woods but not Wood.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desipura View Post
    I heard him mention Woods but not Wood.
    You forgot to pick me up on Jones, but I have since edited my post.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Picken Knows Guest

Our team on Sunday had 9 players that did not play in last years prelim.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Picken Knows View Post
    Well we made the mistake way back in 1998 of not changing the make up of our team of 1997, we just thought the same group of players should be able to take us there, which they did not.

Post Thanks / Like

I like that, I like that a lot. Great to see the MC are being proactive and taking risks. I had the feeling that the same team would not take us to the GF, 9 players is a massive change and the right one!

Grant and Roughhead are becoming irreplacable!

Post Thanks / Like

Which 9?

Post Thanks / Like

Which 9?
    Everitt, Grant, Moles, Jones, Wood, Roughead, Hill, Williams and Hall.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Which 9?
    Jason Akermanis, Tim Callan, Mitch Hahn, Jarrad Harbrow, Shaun Higgins, Will Minson, Robert Murphy, Scott Welsh & Callan Ward.
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Everitt, Grant, Moles, Jones, Wood, Roughead, Hill, Williams and Hall.
    Nice one, I was being lazy to look it up.

That is a big change. I suspect some of those will be replaced when we get closer to finals and Murphy, Ward, Higgins and Harbrow come in and maybe Minson.

Post Thanks / Like

It's a great sign, you can't go into every season with the same group & it's good to see the MC changing things up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JH40 View Post
    It's a great sign, you can't go into every season with the same group & it's good to see the MC changing things up.

While those 9 are not all going to participate in this year's finals, it is a great sign for the future of the footy club, particularly as 8 of the 9 have the potential for longish careers ahead of them - most will play more than 100 games from now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Jordan Roughead only made his debut this year but he has in the space of six games made life tough for Will Minson's designs on second ruck. There is more versatility and athleticism to Roughead's game. The quandary for Rodney Eade is whether, in the heat of finals against the big bodies, he goes with superior young talent or superior older strength.

Healy mentioned the pups on Sunday. Guys like Grant, Wood, Jones, Roughead, Moles, Stack, and even Everitt (who is still only 21) and Ward (20) have injected some enthusiasm as well as competition for places in the team. Whether these players can stand the vigor of finals is another thing.
    Nice one, I was being lazy to look it up.

That is a big change. I suspect some of those will be replaced when we get closer to finals and Murphy, Ward, Higgins and Harbrow come in and maybe Minson.
    I'm hoping the MC remember that Will Minson, although we all love the big man, was painfully slow and ineffective at times last September, and I think considering the teams and game plans we'll be facing (ie we're not going to play Sydney, although St Kilda is the exception here) I think perhaps they should give Roughead the nod. He is fast, very fast, very agile and talented, and I think that makes up for strength if he has the right players around him — which he certainly does.

Thoughts? Am I wrong?