Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Virus rips through Bulldogs

A VIRUS has ripped through the Western Bulldogs, affecting as many as nine senior players.

At least four players - Dale Morris, Lindsay Gilbee, Liam Picken and Ryan Hargrave - felt ill during Sunday's win against Adelaide and the flu-like symptoms have spread.

Ruckman Ben Hudson and Brownlow medallist Adam Cooney were also feeling unwell yesterday.

Robert Murphy and Shaun Higgins, who missed the Crows match with the virus, are still in recovery mode with other players.

The club has been in lockdown for the past two days, with players and some staff keeping away.

It has been a major setback as the Dogs prepare for Saturday night's blockbuster with Geelong.

The players will attend the club today, allowing the coaching staff to assess where the list is at before selection for the Cats clash.

Although players such as Murphy and Higgins are improving, there are fears they may be late withdrawals this week if a fresh wave of players is hit.

"It has been floating around for a couple of weeks," Bulldogs football manager James Fantasia said last night.

"It started with one or two and now there's more like eight or nine who have got it.

"Yesterday the weather was poor and a few boys were under the weather. Today was a day off ... we kept everyone out of the place. They'll be back tomorrow as usual and we'll see how they've come up."

The symptoms have been similar to a heavy chest and head cold, and it is understood it has affected the breathing of players.

Morris and Gilbee were said to have been particularly brave to front up against the Crows on Sunday.

They were both heavily affected, with Morris vomiting after the game.

Morris and Gilbee also struggled to communicate, losing their voices on game day.

If the game had been in Melbourne and the Dogs had extra players on hand, they may have been pulled out.

They both spent Monday in bed and it is unclear if they will be able to train today.

The Dogs are confident Murphy, a late withdrawal, will get up for the Cats.

The virus has also hit members of the coaching and fitness staff.

Meanwhile, defender Jarrod Harbrow is a chance to return from a cork above his knee against the Cats.

He also was a late withdrawal with a virus against North Melbourne in Round 18, and was injured at training in the lead-up to the Crows match.

Apart from illness, the Dogs returned from Adelaide unscathed

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/af...-1225903672629
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Virus rips through Bulldogs

This is going to be a very tougth game to win if things are as bad as they say with this virus.

Luckily we beat Adelaide last week and are 1 game and percentage ahead of the Dockers.

Post Thanks / Like

The players can often get over these symptoms fairly quickly. Today might be the critical one.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a nasty bug. Those bad chest infections can take more than a week to get right. Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery for all.

Post Thanks / Like

I did mention that Morris looked like he was going to chuck after the Adelaide game, well it appears he did!

Post Thanks / Like

Not good news, is it? However, I'm sure the club will ensure that players are given the opportunity to recover - there is no point playing ill players. Would rather get them all right for the last couple of games, and of course, the finals!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desipura View Post
    I did mention that Morris looked like he was going to chuck after the Adelaide game, well it appears he did!
    Saw the same thing. A gutsy effort to get through the game by Gilbee & Morris.

Post Thanks / Like

Amazing toughness by the boys to play in those conditions and battling illness.

Now they need a Day In Bed with chicken soup and lemon & honey -- that should fix 'em...

Post Thanks / Like

Can I volunteer to make and deliver the chicken soup :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Could be a freaky kind of good luck that we can rest key players before the business end of things.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Update coming up on SEN from Leon Cameron
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Leon on SEN

Murphy still in bed, they thought he had recovered, but took a step back

Leon didn't seem too worried but said they will see how the players with flu pull up at Friday's training session.

Still confident we will give Geelong a run for their money

Has been interviewed for the Port Coaching job
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=bornadog;169610]Leon on SEN

Murphy still in bed, they thought he had recovered, but took a step back

Leon didn't seem too worried but said they will see how the players with flu pull up at Friday's training session.

Still confident we will give Geelong a run for their money

Has been interviewed for the Port Coaching job

Doesnt give Primus much hope then.

Post Thanks / Like

Seems this virus is going around melbourne atm, a few of the kids at work have had it..its been hanging around me for the last few weeks, and has finally hit me....i struggle to do my day to day things properly, i couldnt play a game of footy feeling like this....huge pat on the back to those boys who did last weekend, and a few will probably do the same this weekend....

Kiinda glad its hit them now, and not in a couples of weeks during finals time...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by minson27 View Post
    Seems this virus is going around melbourne atm, a few of the kids at work have had it..its been hanging around me for the last few weeks, and has finally hit me....i struggle to do my day to day things properly, i couldnt play a game of footy feeling like this....huge pat on the back to those boys who did last weekend, and a few will probably do the same this weekend....

Kiinda glad its hit them now, and not in a couples of weeks during finals time...
    Yep, Tuesday I had only 14 kids in my grade (out of 22) and today only 16 - things are certainly going around.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]