Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Illness could end Shaun Higgins' season

Wishing Higgins a speedy recovery....

Illness could end Shaun Higgins' season
    Mike Sheahan | Herald Sun | August 18, 2010

A CALF muscle injury will keep Shaun Higgins out of Saturday night's game against Sydney, but it's a previously secret illness that threatens the rest of his season.

The Western Bulldogs youngster has thyroiditis, a condition that has afflicted him for several weeks and can take up to two months to correct.

It is a similar problem to the one that laid teammate Will Minson low early in the season - Minson's problem was attributed to a rogue imported soy milk product. The cause of Higgins' problem is not known.

The Bulldogs wanted the football world to believe Higgins had only calf trouble. They did not want ill-informed speculation, but have grown worried.

Club doctor Jake Landsberger told the Herald Sun last night a range of tests showed Higgins had an over-active thyroid gland. He exhibited the classic problems of severe weight loss, lethargy, tiredness and a racing pulse.

"He started losing weight about five or six weeks ago," Landsberger said. "He told the dietitian and she gave him a special diet, but his weight continued to go down and she rang me, concerned.

"I asked him to come and see me in my rooms in Footscray and we decided on a few tests - ultrasound, x-ray scan and thyroid specific blood tests.

Click HERE to read the remainder of the article....

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Illness could end Shaun Higgins' season

OK, I'll get off his case now Knew there was something not right...

Hope he makes a speedy recovery!
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Get well soon Shaun, Round 1 2011 should be your focus now to be fully fit and back in form.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Who was it on here that want him to be traded?

Post Thanks / Like

Just goes to show that people shouldn't jump to conclusions without knowing ANY of the FACTS!!!! Get well quick Shaunie

Post Thanks / Like

Glad that they have finally diagnosed Shaun's condition, and that he is on the road to excellent health swiftly!

Post Thanks / Like

My husband suffers from the same problem, he has had both over- and under-active thyroid at different times. The problem is once it's out of whack it can easily swing the other way, it's very difficult to get it exactly right. Hopefully with careful monitoring, Shaun and the medicos can get on top of it. It's not fun.

Just knew there was something wrong with Shaun all year! At least now we know what the problem is.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy'sLore View Post
    My husband suffers from the same problem, he has had both over- and under-active thyroid at different times. The problem is once it's out of whack it can easily swing the other way, it's very difficult to get it exactly right. Hopefully with careful monitoring, Shaun and the medicos can get on top of it. It's not fun.

Just knew there was something wrong with Shaun all year! At least now we know what the problem is.
    I did 16 years of vet nursing & many dogs & cats have the same problem too. And yes, it is hard to get it exactly right. I hope Shaun recovers quickly.

Post Thanks / Like

Well Im so glad the docs know whats wrong and hope he gets better real soon. Is there any chance he can get back this year or is it better for him to just worry bout next year?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    OK, I'll get off his case now Knew there was something not right...

Hope he makes a speedy recovery!
    Me too

Post Thanks / Like

I have hyperthyroidism. The exhaustion, fatigue etc that comes with it cannot be understated. Your heart races, you can't sleep.. as Murphys Lore said its really no fun at all.
    I have been unable to work for long periods, and all I have to do is sit in front of a computer! That Shaun has played football at all at this level while dealing with this illness is a great effort in itself. Get well Shaun.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desipura View Post
    Who was it on here that want him to be traded?
    This is one of my absolute pet hates in regards to supporters jumping off players, sticking the boots in, wanting to be delisted etc etc, even bagging players at games when they clearly don't see how hard a player is working, the 1%ers etc, have a very uneducated mindset.

I'll never let somedown when they wanted Cooney DELISTED a few years ago!!!! [he knows who he is].

All the best for Higgo, a future captain at our club.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mighty_west View Post
    This is one of my absolute pet hates in regards to supporters jumping off players, sticking the boots in, wanting to be delisted etc etc, even bagging players at games when they clearly don't see how hard a player is working, the 1%ers etc, have a very uneducated mindset.

I'll never let somedown when they wanted Cooney DELISTED a few years ago!!!! [he knows who he is].

All the best for Higgo, a future captain at our club.
    Great call, I have noticed the same poster has not apologised or admitted he was wrong on Higgo.

Post Thanks / Like

So what causes it generally? I'm surprised he has played at all.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

There can be several causes of thyroid imbalance. It sounds as if in Shaun's case, it's due to an inflammation of the gland (which apparently can right itself after a few weeks). I don't know whether they'll let nature take its course or be a bit more pro-active with treatment though.