Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Bob Murphy: Team dares to dream

Murph's latest article...

Team dares to dream
    The Age | Bob Murphy | August 19, 2010

I WENT to the movies this week, which is a bit of a rare treat around here. The film was Inception, and it blew my mind.

The basic plot of the film surrounds dreaming, and more specifically the manipulation of these dreams and the warping of one's reality. It's lucky I had Jarvis's mum next to me because I had a few questions that needed to be answered as the movie chugged along.

Dreams within dreams within dreams, and the threat of a nightmare just around the corner, had my mind swirling. But the whole time I was watching I couldn't help but draw a connection to football and it's realities. Part of the appeal of going to the movies is to forget about life and football for a while, a little bit of escapism. But after the weekend's game, that was always going to be a tall order.

Last Saturday night against the Cats could only be described as a nightmare. Nothing went right, plenty went wrong, and against a side as good as the crew from G-town you have to be at or near your best to mix it with them. No doubt the Cats don't rate the Dogs as a serious contender after that flogging. Until we beat them in a final they never will.

Footy can sting a bit. I've often thought about the game being a lot like falling in love: you're besotted, and you don't know when or how it started, but suddenly the game/girl is under your skin, occupying every waking second of your life.

And then the fear gets you. You're scared of how good the game or the girl can make you feel, but you also know that with the bounce of the ball or the flick of her hair your world can fall into a chasm of despair.

Click HERE to read the remainder of the article....

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bob Murphy: Team dares to dream

Quote Originally Posted by BulldogBelle View Post
    ...with the bounce of the ball or the flick of her hair your world can fall into a chasm of despair.
    The bounce of a ball?

Umm. We lost by 101 points - it wasn't a last second heart-breaker.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

He did say nothing went right!

Post Thanks / Like

I love reading Murphy's articles ... he should collate them and release them in book form, like a sort of memoirs.
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

I wish he would write all my stuff for Uni for me.

And yeah I agree, Scraggers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scraggers View Post
    I love reading Murphy's articles ... he should collate them and release them in book form, like a sort of memoirs.
    After his children's book comes out, he may work on that.