Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Bulldogs offer olive branch to Wallace

THE Western Bulldogs have reached out to former coach Terry Wallace in what could be the first step towards welcoming him back to Whitten Oval.

Wallace has been persona non grata at the club since he announced ahead of the last game of the 2002 season that he was leaving, despite having two years left on his contract.

Bulldogs president David Smorgon said at the time he felt betrayed by Wallace and denied him a farewell match.

But Smorgon last night revealed to The Age he had contacted Wallace last week in a bid to heal the fractured relationship.

''Subject to finding a convenient time, we'll try and catch up,'' he said.

Asked what Wallace's response had been, Smorgon replied: ''You'll have to ask Terry that.''

Wallace did not return calls last night.

Smorgon said he had spoken with Wallace from ''time to time'' since their partnership ended although this had generally been on professional terms.

''For a long time, we have seen each other in media commitments, not so much when he was at Richmond, but before that with Fox and on radio,'' he said.

It's understood former Bulldogs ruckman Luke Darcy also contacted Wallace last week in an attempt to clear the air after his controversial column in which he claimed Wallace had been too insecure to receive player feedback and this was to blame for the club failing to win a premiership in the late 1990s.

Wallace took charge of the Bulldogs during the 1996 season but by the end of 2002 said he had lost the passion to coach, although speculation raged that he had agreed and perhaps even signed to join Sydney.

Such was the bitterness of the fall-out that Smorgon warned rival clubs to be wary of Wallace.

The Swans, under pressure from their supporters, eventually settled on Paul Roos, and Wallace became a media commentator until joining Richmond for the 2005 season.

The lingering animosity of several senior players towards Wallace was reinforced last week when he was not invited to Brad Johnson's testimonial lunch.

Wallace had said he had been approached to film a tribute for Johnson, but the opportunity never materialised.

Johnson was a best and fairest under Wallace and did thank him on stage for his contribution.

Darcy, however, even joked about Wallace's absence.

''Firstly, there's an apology,'' Darcy said on stage. ''One person missing from the panel is Terry Wallace, who would have been here, but wouldn't return my call.''

Wallace used his final press conference with the Tigers last year to apologise for his sour ending at the Bulldogs.

''It was never my intention for it to go down the pathway it did,'' he said.

''My kids grew up at that club, I've got some of my greatest friends that I've had in the game at that club and I hope somewhere along the line those wounds will heal.''

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-new...822-13avc.html
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bulldogs offer olive branch to Wallace

About time, whatever you think of Wallett, he was a great servant of the club both as a player, assistant coach and coach. Yes he did do the wrong thing when he had 2 years left on his contract, but he was also at the club for over 15 years and is a life member.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Probably agree with Bornadog on the face of it. Time to let bygones be bygones - he did the wrong thing by us, but he was involved with our club a long time. I watched him play many years ago, and then coach our reserves to a premiership (if I recall correctly).

Post Thanks / Like

I disagree.
    He can jam it.

There is a way to leave a job with dignity, and he failed miserably.
    The karma gods gave him all he deserved at Tigerland.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    About time, whatever you think of Wallett, he was a great servant of the club both as a player, assistant coach and coach. Yes he did do the wrong thing when he had 2 years left on his contract, but he was also at the club for over 15 years and is a life member.
    I've mellowed a little on Wallace since he bailed on us, if it's good enough for the Dogs to extend the olive branch then so be it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BulldogBelle View Post
    I've mellowed a little on Wallace since he bailed on us, if it's good enough for the Dogs to extend the olive branch then so be it.
    Yep...they say time heals all wounds...not me though never forget, never forgive!!

Post Thanks / Like

I got over his departure quickly. Didn't like the way he went about things and Roos getting the support of the sponsors blocked his move to Sydney and that was a good thing.
    He had a hell of a time at Richmond so I see no problems now with the club extending the olive branch to him in fact it's the right thing to do for someone who gave us so much.

You don't forget but holding a grudge isn't healthy.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Totally agree.

Post Thanks / Like

Pffftt!

Post Thanks / Like

I loved it when he played for us, loved it when he coached us, I was wrapped when he got life membership ... but when he left the way he did ...

I'm glad he didn't get the Sydney gig, I'm glad he failed at Richmond ...

My anger has mellowed considerably since he took off, but I'm not ready to make nice !
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not too sure why so many people are still so outraged by the Wallace departure, looking back now, it's clear that his style of recruiting & coaching was never going to win a flag, his love for small speedy whippets, history clearly shows that Premiership sides are built around rugged, big bodied contested footballers, in the end it was great that he left, but where he got us from 96 to the next few years was great for us at the time, the media work etc......

Besides, holding grudges is for fools.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mighty_west View Post
    I'm not too sure why so many people are still so outraged by the Wallace departure, looking back now, it's clear that his style of recruiting & coaching was never going to win a flag, his love for small speedy whippets, history clearly shows that Premiership sides are built around rugged, big bodied contested footballers, in the end it was great that he left, but where he got us from 96 to the next few years was great for us at the time, the media work etc......

^^ This
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mighty_west View Post

Agree 100%.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mighty_west

Life member says it all - good enough for the club then good enough for me.

Now Naffan that's a different story. Don't hold a grudge but he can enjoy the hospitality
    at Tigerland. !!!