Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Cooney's loss kills off Bulldogs' flag chances

Michael Gleeson

Recovery Session
    IN 2000, Carlton was second on the ladder and the only true rival to Essendon when Anthony Koutoufides collapsed to the ground holding his knee. His year was over, so too was Carlton's. The Blues scrounged to win one final, but in truth they were gone.

The Bulldogs had a Koutoufides moment on Saturday night. The sound of Adam Cooney's hamstring tearing was also the sound of the Bulldogs' window closing. For this year.

The situation for the Dogs is somewhat more parlous than even Carlton's in 2000. When Koutoufides went down there was nothing separating Carlton from Essendon in the popular imagination for the flag.

The Bulldogs, in contrast, were already stumbling. The abysmal 101-point loss to Geelong in round 20 reinforced the idea that they were already a clear and considerable step below each of the three sides above them on the ladder.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-new...823-13ij5.html
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cooney's loss kills off Bulldogs' flag chances

Well we can all hang our heads and give up, or pick the best team available and just go for it. One player doesn't make a team.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Have copped a fair bit from people at work, saying we are gone for the season. I have kept pretty quite on the subject, simply because we haven't lost to Collingwood yet.

While i think it would take a massive effort to win the flag, amazing things happen in September.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JH40 View Post
    Have copped a fair bit from people at work, saying we are gone for the season. I have kept pretty quite on the subject, simply because we haven't lost to Collingwood yet.

While i think it would take a massive effort to win the flag, amazing things happen in September.
    It ain't over till it's over may the heavens open up JH turn it into the slog of all slogs

Post Thanks / Like

I just want to see them go all out. Win or Lose. Fight it out and give it their all. That's what you want to see.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    I just want to see them go all out. Win or Lose. Fight it out and give it their all. That's what you want to see.
    I agree, that is what has hurt the last couple of games, the lack of effort. In saying that though I don't think for a minute that they are not trying but it's the team effort that looks missing. They aren't geling like normal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JH40 View Post

Round 1 and round 10 (I think it was) correct me of the date. Yep lost to em twice this year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shnookie View Post
    Round 1 and round 10 (I think it was) correct me of the date. Yep lost to em twice this year.
    Rd 11
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]