Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Ben Cousins documentary

Is everyone going to watch the Ben Cousins documentary tonight?

If you have appropriately aged children, are you going to let them watch?

I will definitely be watching, have been looking forward to seeing the true story, well Ben's version of the truth anyway.

Should make for fascinating TV. It will be interested to see how raw, exposed and truthful it is versus simple spin. Also interesting to see if it glamorises substance abuse Vs make a powerful statement against illegal substances.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ben Cousins documentary

I'll watch it for sure.

I have 2 children aged 15 & 12 & will tape it. If I think it sends the right message I'll then let them watch it.
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

Was discussing this question this morning; I guess we will probably end up watching it.

My six year old asked very seriously, 'Is it the law in Melbourne?'

Post Thanks / Like

I won't be watching. I just don't have any interest in him at all.

Post Thanks / Like

I've got better things to do. Not going to waste my time on this.

Post Thanks / Like

Watching now...was always going to watch it. Have softened my stance on Cousins quite a bit over the last couple of years. Would take enormous courage for him to show himself in this light, warts and all, to a national audience. Having some personal experience of living with someone with addiction, it hit home.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    Watching now...was always going to watch it.
    Me too(my wife is a big fan).
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Gee a lot of people knew of his problems but wouldn't out him to primarily protect his career. Did this help him or just delay the inevitable?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Gee a lot of people knew of his problems but wouldn't out him to primarily protect his career. Did this help him or just delay the inevitable?
    I'd probably say the latter...although the argument could be made that keeping him involved in the environment of a professional football club, with all its inherent structures and demands, could assist him by providing a focus for him (and support when needed). Outing him, and therefore costing him his job, may have seen him go further into the drugs/drink, believing there's nothing to stay clean for. That's the dilemma.

Having said that, I still think the latter...maybe
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Very confronting.

I didn't realise his drug addiction was a bad as it was/is.

I really feel for his father.
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, appears that way - recalling back to when it all blew up, there was the constant inuendo that the WCE just swept it under the carpet. A very confronting doco.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post
    Very confronting.

I didn't realise his drug addiction was a bad as it was/is.

I really feel for his father.
    I'll be the first to admit that I don't understand the whole drugs issue but whilst his father came across as a good bloke, and I do feel sorry for him, he also came across as someone who covered for Ben way too much. Whilst a lot of people will say that a parent's role is to protect their children (whatever age) no matter what they are doing, I can see some flaws in that when it comes to someone who is misleading so many others and is obvioulsy going down a very bad road.

Ben thought he was bullet proof because no one close to him would bring things to a head.
    Bryan was worried that the captaincy would be too much for his son and he spoke to the club about it however, he certainly didn't give them the full picture. I don't think this approach of hiding the issue helped Ben at all with his problem.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I'll be the first to admit that I don't understand the whole drugs issue but whilst his father came across as a good bloke, and I do feel sorry for him, he also came across as someone who covered for Ben way too much. Whilst a lot of people will say that a parent's role is to protect their children (whatever age) no matter what they are doing, I can see some flaws in that when it comes to someone who is misleading so many others and is obvioulsy going down a very bad road.

Ben thought he was bullet proof because no one close to him would bring things to a head.
    Bryan was worried that the captaincy would be too much for his son and he spoke to the club about it however, he certainly didn't give them the full picture. I don't think this approach of hiding the issue helped Ben at all with his problem.
    I agree that covering for him in the long run didn't really help him address it, but can totally understand the reasoning. As you say, it's natural instinct, and even exists with the hurt that can be caused as a result of the person's actions. The alternative of turning him in, seeing him sink even further and then having to bury him obviously isn't good.

Certainly a very complex issue.

Post Thanks / Like

I have just finished watching part 1 ... He still doesn't get it. He still has that smarmy grin on his face like he is untouchable

In saying that, I am hoping (more for Bryan's sake than anything else) that part 2 is where the smirk is wiped off his face.

I admire anyone who can face their demons ... I really hope that's what I see with Ben in part 2
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I watched it. I too have had experience with addictive personalities and 12 step programs, and I totally understand why his family found it difficult to "out" him. Most addicts need to get to rock bottom before they can start the long crawl back up, and for that to happen, friends and family usually have to give "tough love", i.e., no help at all. Very difficult for families to do, when the natural response is to help, rescue, etc. I heard someone comment this morning that they thought he was arrogant, but most addicts are in some way, it is usually "all about them". It is just the nature of the addictive personality (in my experience). It was confronting in a lot of ways, and I also did not realise just how long he had been doing drugs, i.e., from his late teens. Good luck to him on this part of his journey - I think that coming "out" like this is a very healthy part of his recovery.