Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Troy Selwood?

Post Thanks / Like

Troy Selwood?

Has been told by the Lions he is no longer wanted, heard to be looking for a move to Victoria & Carlton has already been mentioned.

What are peoples thoughts, think he has any value?

Guy is 26 years old & not a bad player, could he offer us something?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Troy Selwood?

No.

Very ordinary player. There's only one Selwood that's any good.

Post Thanks / Like

And older version of Dylan Addison. not what we need.

Post Thanks / Like

No one could question his courage, but would only be a depth player at the Dogs, some club will pick him up though.

Post Thanks / Like

No thanks. I would rather Addison.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Nathan Djerrkura from Geelong would be worth a look at.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Agree totally.

Post Thanks / Like

Was about to bring this up. Is he quick? If so he could be just what we need, and Geelong don't seem like a club that would demand too much for a fringe player, they tend to be pretty good at moving those sort of players on.

Post Thanks / Like

Slightly off the track for this thread but I'd like to see us go after alwyn Davey from Essendon, he's been in and out of their team until this year but fits a specific need we have.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    Slightly off the track for this thread but I'd like to see us go after alwyn Davey from Essendon, he's been in and out of their team until this year but fits a specific need we have.
    Agree was thinking the same thing when he got dropped a few weeks back. I see Josh Drummond wants 400 large or he's out! Thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    No.

Very ordinary player. There's only one Selwood that's any good.
    I think he was better than ordinary but right now he wouldn't offer us a lot. Picken can do a better tagging job

Post Thanks / Like

I asked a few guys today about him but unfortunately no one knew much. Any info?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Agree was thinking the same thing when he got dropped a few weeks back. I see Josh Drummond wants 400 large or he's out! Thoughts?
    Can understand why Brisbane would baulk at such a figure. Drummond is 27, will be 28 in Apr next year (although didn't debut until 2005) has missed most of 2010 with an ACL injury, having taken the LARS option, and has a history of soft tissue injuries, especially quad tears.

On the plus side, he is, when fit and firing, a decent one on one defender, a very good zonal defender and one of the best kicks in the AFL. Has the size of Hargrave (or close to) but the kicking of Gilbee which is a great combination.

If we were able to tempt him with a performance based contract that had big bonuses for playing 20+ games in a season and he passed stringent medical testing then I'd consider it but I can't see him agreeing to a heavily performanced based contract and the risk of him being injured with his history and the history of players post knee reconstructions is just too great to justify the cost.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    I asked a few guys today about him but unfortunately no one knew much. Any info?
    Wisbey had a VERY promising write-up on him:

Quote:
    DJERRKURA, Nathan (25 Geelong) [9]

176cm electrifying, fierce, dynamic, quick, clean, take-them-on, relentless ball-carrying dasher. Byron Picket with some Wirrpanda. Breaks the play open. Exciting combination of speed, motor, attack, physicality and natural footballer ability. Despite his height, I think he is likely to be something special. X-factor. Trademarks are (1) Come from nowhere to run opponent down with excellent closing speed and fierce tackle ("silent assassin" ), (2) Take-them-on dash then kick into forward 50 (if not nailed in the process!). Other main selling points are intensity, balance, contested ball ability, agility, endurance, overhead, consistency, evasion, traffic management, versatility. Gives away an avg 3 frees per game, virtually all through either (over-)ambitiously taking opponents on and getting nailed, or through over-zealous tackles. He's a smart kid and I'm confident he will learn to be more judicious. Regardless, even though 3 FAs a game is not what a coach would normally like to see, I think it is more than balanced by the pressure he puts opponents under (a la Davey, but with brutality) and the number of times he is actually successful in breaking the play open with his daring. i.e. If you want the benefits of his attack on the man and opening up of the play, you should expect to have to wear occasional slip-ups. Benefit greatly outweighs cost in Djerrkura's case. (I'd rather a kid who dares to dare than one who plays introverted). He is as quick as any '06 draftee. He is as good and as reliable in the air as most of the other good smalls/mediums who are good overhead. Usually a good kick and his disposals often hurt. Has the dash, daring and hurt factor you want from an outside player, the hardness and in-close ability you want from an inside player, plays tall, is versatile, is footballer and athlete in equal doses, is a great kid who will be very coachable, and doesn't have a "go home" query. Add endurance, physicality and ethic (both ways) to that and IMHO no other kid in this draft can lay better claim to that package of traits. I'm less hung up on height than many people are. Recent premiership teams, Brownlow high voters and AA teams prove there is always a place for a smaller player if he is special enough in certain areas or as a package. I rated Djerrkura quite a lot earlier than I knew he would go but am very confident he will be very good AFL. Except for (arguably) height, he is made for today's game and could play anywhere down the flanks. Probably best suited to HBF or wing in his early AFL days. Could play BP too but I believe his talents are best utilised where he can afford more risks. In the backline, will be able to supply both Pickett-like pressure as well as plenty of run out of defence and hardball get ability. Down the track I think he could be a good AFL onballer. Has the capacity to potentially be a run-with or even an inside mid. No doubts about his tank or speed or hardness and he is quite clean under pressure (both getting and disposing). And he should be virtually plug 'n play. Bargain.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd certainly be interested in Nathan Djerrkira.
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!