Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Flag window is closing for Western Bulldogs

Shane Crawford

THE Western Bulldogs cannot win the flag this year and the premiership window for this group of players may have closed for the next three or four years.

It hurts me to say that, because I tipped the Doggies to break their 56-year flag drought in the pre-season.

I'm not sorry I picked them. They looked the goods in March, adding Barry Hall to the list and 90 per cent of the team had enjoyed full pre-seasons. I'm just sorry I raised the hopes of long-suffering Bulldogs fans.

So much can change in the space of a season and as we have seen with Rodney Eade's team, so much can change in just a few weeks.

A 101-point loss to Geelong a fortnight ago, combined with a virus that swept through the club, season-ending injuries to Adam Cooney and Dale Morris and a cloud over Brad Johnson, have all but killed their year.

I cannot see the Dogs making that elusive Grand Final. The long injury list even leaves them vulnerable to going out in straight sets.

What worries me more is where the Bulldogs are headed.

Sure, we have seen the emergence of a few young players who look to have bright futures.

But the playing list is essentially an ageing one. Jason Akermanis is gone and Johnson and Nathan Eagleton could retire at the end of the season.

Barry Hall will go on -- as he should -- because he has probably exceeded expectations this season.

But there are plenty of other 28-year-old-plus players at the club. The Dogs will be competitive next year but I fear their window is rapidly closing.

It made me think about the teams in the finals this year and who looms as their most important players. For the Dogs, it is 31-year-old Ben Hudson.

We saw how important he is when the Bulldogs were monstered in the ruck without him against the Cats.

Link

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Flag window is closing for Western Bulldogs

Yep, how ever will we cope with the loss of Johnno, Aker, Mitch and Eagle who have offered us so very much this season.

Post Thanks / Like

How will we ever replace Hudson or Hall? Where will we ever find a young key forward or two or a young ruckman?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    How will we ever replace Hudson or Hall? Where will we ever find a young key forward or two or a young ruckman?
    Yep. Harbrow is leaving too, how will we replace him?

I know we have had a few young kids improve this year but it would have been great if as you say one or two of them were key forwards, one was a ruckman and another a small/medium defender. Oh well!

What I would give for a kid who could kick 6 goals in game.

Post Thanks / Like

And how will we replace Gilbee, Hargrave, Gia, Lake and Morris who are all in that 28 and over bracket which is what he was really talking about?

Post Thanks / Like

The media and that term "Premiership window". I'd heard this time last year Sydney were heading for the bottom,Geelong's had closed!
    If the draft and trade period is used smartly we won't travel to far down the table!We've lost 4 greats since 06 and have come out the other end.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    And how will we replace Gilbee, Hargrave, Gia, Lake and Morris who are all in that 28 and over bracket which is what he was really talking about?
    Probably why they drafted the likes of Tutt & Howard, they extended the contract of Boumann, so you would think they also rate him. Sam Reid we are yet to see get a full season of fitness under his belt, once this happens he will explode. Hopefully we can see an improved Josh Hill in the coming years, guy is only 21 years old & does have some talent.

Add to that, the upcoming draft where to of our boys are rated VERY highly, i don't think we look as bad as what media types make out.

cnmin2 Guest

Just a thought but did Shane not play in a premiership at 34 year old.Gives our 28 year olds another 6 years

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    Gilbee and Hargrave have been regular failures in big finals, Gia is questionable at best, Murphy is in the same bracket. Not sure those players are the ones to lead us to a premiership and losing them over the next couple of years might not hinder us.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Give they guys a Break

They are all trying with a depleted team at the Wrong end of the season.

Otherwise become "TIGER" ferrals

I'm sick of our suporters Bagging our own.

If ya want to, then yell "YELLOW & BLACK"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JH40 View Post
    Probably why they drafted the likes of Tutt & Howard, they extended the contract of Boumann, so you would think they also rate him. Sam Reid we are yet to see get a full season of fitness under his belt, once this happens he will explode. Hopefully we can see an improved Josh Hill in the coming years, guy is only 21 years old & does have some talent.

Add to that, the upcoming draft where to of our boys are rated VERY highly, i don't think we look as bad as what media types make out.
    Yes but by the time they come good and get us back into contention it will be another 4 years IMO.

I think we will drop back to 6-8 next year and probably stay thereabouts for 2 years before coming back into premiership contention.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    Gilbee and Hargrave have been regular failures in big finals, Gia is questionable at best, Murphy is in the same bracket. Not sure those players are the ones to lead us to a premiership and losing them over the next couple of years might not hinder us.
    Cant say I agree with you on this post Greystache

I can understand if you're a bit frustrated with our season but remember we are the dogs, not the scapegoats

Post Thanks / Like

These same players have got us into the past two pre-lim finals so they haven't been all that bad. I do not think we have played as well this year however for all sorts of reasons. Our extended list for one is inadequate leaving too many players becoming automatic selections when it wasn't justified. The introduction of Grant, Wood, Jones and Roughead has been the one positive outcome for the year, together with the recruitment of Barry Hall and this policy needs to continue relentlessly. Every effort needs to be made to retain Harbrow and with the possibility of Akermanis, Johnson, Eagleton and Hahn who should all be moved on, it will and should free up our salary cap, to enable the club to retain both Griffen and Harbrow. The other concern is that a number of fringe players making up the list still look a fair way off playing senior football.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll give Murph a leave pass only because his knee was shot in the last couple of months of 2008 and he also suffered with soft tissue injuries and a lack of continuity in 2009. He is fit and in form now so there are no excuses for him in 2010. Gia hasn't been a total write-off in finals either. Certainly Hargy and Gilbs need to lift their finals output, as do Boyd and Cross.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    I'll give Murph a leave pass only because his knee was shot in the last couple of months of 2008 and he also suffered with soft tissue injuries and a lack of continuity in 2009. He is fit and in form now so there are no excuses for him in 2010. Gia hasn't been a total write-off in finals either. Certainly Hargy and Gilbs need to lift their finals output, as do Boyd and Cross.
    4 finals against top 4 teams for a return of 0 goals, 1 game of 20 possessions, and poor disposal throughout is damning, but I appreciate he was playing under duress so I listed his a questionable at best. Saturday will be his 5th final against a top 4 team and there's no excuses.

Gia has one goal in 4 finals against the top teams and missed some easy shots, pretty poor for a club leader. Granted he did get a bit of the ball in 2008.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships