Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Your Favourite Johnno Memory?

Quote Originally Posted by rooner17 View Post
    Gold

Absolute star and my favorite memory hasnt been played out yet!
    Rooner, I may have to watch some highlights and pretend I'm in a Plane again

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shnookie View Post
    Rooner, I may have to watch some highlights and pretend I'm in a Plane again
    Been watchin some of his highlights and its so easy to forget how good some players have been

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rooner17 View Post
    Been watchin some of his highlights and its so easy to forget how good some players have been
    People outside of the club, don't understand how good he has been.

I have noticed it with a lot of our great players, because of the club we are, people don't rate them as highly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JH40 View Post
    People outside of the club, don't understand how good he has been.

I have noticed it with a lot of our great players, because of the club we are, people don't rate them as highly.
    Yep and it will always be that way JH but I like it that way stuff what everyone else thinks

Post Thanks / Like

Going to Uni at VUT in Footscray and my Collingwood loving mate who went to same high school as Jonno yells out G'day. Jonno shot a smile back and waved. Collingwood loving mate isn't someone I hand out with these days and I'm sure that's why Jonno didn't run over and say hi, but he didn't ignore him at the same time either. Nathan Buckley also was at VUT as well but Collingwood loving mate never yelled out at him. I bet he never would have got a smile or wave from him.

Post Thanks / Like

Off-field ... when I met him outside the Bulldog Shop at the Whitten Oval, he was wearing a towel and a red Bulldog shirt; it was obvious that he had just come from the recovery spa or pool and was on his way to the changerooms to get dressed ... I stopped him and asked if I could get a photo with him and my daughter ... of course he agreed. It was a freezing cold day and my wife was fumbling with the camera trying to get a photo, his teeth were chattering, but he didn't complain or try to brush us off, in fact quite the opposite ... he was so personable, chatting with me and my two year old.

I love that photo ... sits framed in my office ... one of my prized possessions.

On-field ... the whole 2006 season, he took over as captain of the Bulldogs with Darcy's injury, and played a stellar season ... cullminating in him finishing 2nd in the Coleman medal and being named Captain of the All-Australian team ... I always knew he was a champion ... now the whole AFL knew as well.

The last Footscray player ... a what a legacy he has left us ... Cheers Johnno
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

One game, Cross had the ball on 50 on Johnno & Rohan Smith managed to get 2 on 1 in the goalsquare. They looked at each other and Smith went on a hard lead, dragging out the defender. Cross saw what they were doing and promptly kicked it to the square for an easy Johnno goal. After that, the feeling between Smith & Johnno was palpable, bum slaps for about 10 seconds.

Johnno just loved giving his all for his team and playing for his team mates, and it was a joy to watch
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

When he gave John Barnes the "bird' after we beat the Bombers in 2000 for thie only loss that season.

Post Thanks / Like

A red cheeked kid wearing number 33 running down the members wing at Footscray - he had fantastic pace and was great overhead. His 250th v Brisbane in 2005 is my favorite memory - a rollercoaster of a game - the love for Johnno was in the air that night.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gogriff View Post
    One game, Cross had the ball on 50 on Johnno & Rohan Smith managed to get 2 on 1 in the goalsquare. They looked at each other and Smith went on a hard lead, dragging out the defender. Cross saw what they were doing and promptly kicked it to the square for an easy Johnno goal. After that, the feeling between Smith & Johnno was palpable, bum slaps for about 10 seconds.

Johnno just loved giving his all for his team and playing for his team mates, and it was a joy to watch
    They just showed the end of this while Rohan Smith was talking about Johnno on the tribute Ch10 put together. Was good IMO, hopefully the game to follow tonight is a worthy tribute
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Apart from the obvious special moments from his catalogue ofgames highlights, the best is a personal exchange with Johnno at last year's Australian Masters golf. Although trying to be ingonito with a snazzy set of sunnies, his smilegave him away. A call of "Johnno" was responded with a goodaye and a few minutes of chat with my daughter and myself. She was awestruck, and if there was any question that she wondered why she wore number 6 on herback was gone. He was her hero then and will be her first footy hero of the dogs.

Post Thanks / Like

Last night when he took celebrating and marking and amalgamated them into at some kind of hybrid markalation. Boy that bloke is talented!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post

c) In 2007 he destroyed Matthew Scarlett when he kicked 8 goals in a round 1 win over the Cats.

d) Just his ability to clunk a one grab mark overhead whilst on a lead. Strong hands.
    From my memory it was Tom Harley he put to the sword that day, in one of the most brilliant individual performances he's ever produced

In his prime just a sensational pair of hands

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post
    From my memory it was Tom Harley he put to the sword that day, in one of the most brilliant individual performances he's ever produced

Correct. Harley popped a knuckle early in the game but refused to go off. Johnson tore him a new one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post

He actually played on both Scarlett and Harley - once he'd kicked 4 goals, one replaced the other.