Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dale Morris raises Dogs' hopes

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    I would have Gilbee 'playing tall' and taking the least mobile Swans big man up forward (White). He's offering nothing at the moment by way of attacking drive out of defensive 50 so we need to give him a specific defensive role to get his mind focused on the job at hand. Gilbs is a great spolier of the ball.

I remember Sheedy selecting Solomon out of left-field to play a similar role on Richo in the 2001 QF and smacking him to oblivion.
    Soloman is a lot more physical the Gilbee however, I think White would expose Gilbee quite badly. Soloman was more in the mould of a younger Mitch Hahn.

I think what we'll see from the MC is

Bradshaw- Lake
    Goodes- Williams
    White- Hahn

Not ideal at all, let's hope Bradshaw doesn't play!
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Wood on Goodes
    Lake on Bradshaw
    Williams on White

Post Thanks / Like

I would have Gilbee 'playing tall' and taking the least mobile Swans big man up forward (White). He's offering nothing at the moment by way of attacking drive out of defensive 50 so we need to give him a specific defensive role to get his mind focused on the job at hand. Gilbs is a great spolier of the ball.

I remember Sheedy selecting Solomon out of left-field to play a similar role on Richo in the 2001 QF and smacking him to oblivion
    I remember Wallace selecting Rohan Smith out of left-field to play a similar role on Robran ...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    Soloman is a lot more physical the Gilbee however, I think White would expose Gilbee quite badly. Soloman was more in the mould of a younger Mitch Hahn.
    Not so sure about that. White is just a player and I don't think he will take the game apart. He's not a mark-on-the-lead type and will rely on clunking a couple of contested pack marks, where you'd think Gilbee would have supporting cover in any event. If White tries to link up on the lead (not his forte), Gilbee will have him comfortably beaten for pace, and he only need to time his spoils well to be able to get it to ground and rebound from there. By contrast, Hahn is slower than White and is also easily brushed aside if it becomes a battle of one-on-one strength. And from watching him flouder in defence on the weekend, Hahn's spoiling technique and timing is rubbish.

Having said all that, if it goes into Sydney's forward 50 another 70 times on Saturday night like it did against Collingwood last week, it won't matter if we have SOS, Langford and Southby in there. The midfield defensive pressure simply has to be 100% better than it was last week if we are to have any chance of winning.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    I remember Wallace selecting Rohan Smith out of left-field to play a similar role on Robran ...
    That's one strong return of serve. A cataclysmic failure of epic proportions.

Post Thanks / Like

Smith was a terrible choice for such a role because he would know as much about defending as Tony Lockett. Gilbee is a natural defender, so he would know when to go, when to spoil, when to transition from defensive mindset into attacking one. Harbrow in last year's 1st semi spent parts of the game guarding space in front of Jono Brown and managing to beat him in the air a couple of times with perfectly timed spoils.

It's not without risk, but neither is selecting Hahn.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    The same 'Skinny' that can't get a game at the minute.
    Comes in for Hahn who is moving like a ruckmen at the minute. At least Everitt has the height and reach to match one of these talls. It's far from ideal but he was recruited as a key back.

Post Thanks / Like

Williams will go to Goodes, that's the only one I'm certain about.
    Lake probably will have to take Bradshaw, although Bradshaw's strength - leading - is Lake's archilles heel.
    If Everitt goes to White, Roos will send him to the goalsquare. That would be pretty scary.
    I'm thinking Wood is a better option than Everitt. Hopefully Wood gets up.

Post Thanks / Like

Not so sure about that. White is just a player and I don't think he will take the game apart. He's not a mark-on-the-lead type and will rely on clunking a couple of contested pack marks, where you'd think Gilbee would have supporting cover in any event. If White tries to link up on the lead (not his forte), Gilbee will have him comfortably beaten for pace, and he only need to time his spoils well to be able to get it to ground and rebound from there. By contrast, Hahn is slower than White and is also easily brushed aside if it becomes a battle of one-on-one strength. And from watching him flouder in defence on the weekend, Hahn's spoiling technique and timing is rubbish.

Having said all that, if it goes into Sydney's forward 50 another 70 times on Saturday night like it did against Collingwood last week, it won't matter if we have SOS, Langford and Southby in there. The midfield defensive pressure simply has to be 100% better than it was last week if we are to have any chance of winning.
    He has the ability to kick goals in quick succession, his issue is fading in and out of games. He's a very big guy, who's strength is body on body marking, I'd be very nervous if he was isolated in the goal square with Gilbee (which they would do). Having said that I'm not sure we've got too many answers if they all play forward, I'd ben inclined to play Wood as the third tall, he's virtually played CHB at times for Willi, but it's a bit of an unknown with a potential big reward so I expect the MC will go with Hahn who is a known quantity with no chance of reward.

Like you said, lately opposition forwards haven't been our Achilles heel despite our injuries, it's the completely unmanned midfielders who are kicking bags of goals. How many times have our defenders scrapped and battled to force a forward into a stalemate against the boundary only for them to chip the ball to one of their midfielders 40m out unmanned? All the while Boyd and Cross are standing on their own in the middle of the ground waiting for an easy kick!
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships