Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Method In Rodney Eade's Madness

The haters on Big Footy should sue Akermanis for plagiarism.

His "opinions" of Johnno, Dre, Wilbur, Josh, Gia, Molesy, and Murph are straight out of Bay 13.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Obviously he has his own motives, but I agree with most of it. It's pretty clear Rocket has favourites (Eagle, Hahn included) whilst others are marked harder (Everitt, Hill included). Despite his solid record, the fact is - Eade's without a premiership to his name.

The lack of a second game plan and the blind faith in failed senior players means Eade should be questioned at the end of this season. His constant need for 'sprays' aren't great, either. He might well serve out his contract but I don't see him going beyond that.

An interesting comment I read on another site was that perhaps Eade may pull the plug at the end of this season. It's a bold statement based on assumption, but his recent interviews and demeanor have been interesting to say the least. It's certainly some food for thought.
    Aker is simply echoing the sentiments of how Bulldog members are feeling about the MC's performance this year. This is one of the more honest feedback comments from 'The Bulldogs Bite' that I have seen on Woof this year. Whilst injuries have played a major part in our performances this year, compared to the past two years, there is little doubt that poor team selection has been a major factor.

Post Thanks / Like

" I think he deserves a premiership, but deserving one and earning one are two completely different things. "
    Reading the article I'm not left feeling Aker believes Eade deserves success, to the contrary, it reads as disingenuous.

Post Thanks / Like

The article is all over the place, one moment he is complimentary then the next he bags him. A bit all over the shop just like Aker.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    Reading the article I'm not left feeling Aker believes Eade deserves success, to the contrary, it reads as disingenuous.
    Absolutely - he had a crack at Josh Hill himself for not playing like an A grader

Hypocritical moron
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

All this dissent, while quite justified to some degree, has become hysterical and just feeds the opposition while dragging down morale in the team. Many "supporters" will feel justified in booing and jeering our players, and our captain, just encouraging gleeful oppo fans. Then they'll get upset if we don't play well and lose. Can't we just support the boys on the day, no matter who they are, rather than take personal high dudgeon at who is there and who is not?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Which other teams have a '2nd game plan'?
    We are the only top four side that can't consistently stop a run on from the opposition. If things aren't going our way, we're stuffed. Simple.

Geelong, St. Kilda, Collingwood and Hawthorn over the past three seasons have each been able to adapt different game plans. Geelong use the corridor and flick the ball around, but they do have defensive structures in place for when things aren't going as well as they'd like. St. Kilda play a defensive game, but they can really lock games down to an even greater extent. They attacked Geelong in the first half of the QF, then set-up very defensively in the second half. Particularly the last quarter - I didn't agree with it (almost lost them the game) but it worked.

Out of all these top sides in recent years, we've always been the side most susceptible to a belting and it's because Eade hasn't implemented a gameplan in the event of a crisis. He hasn't been able to teach/find a way to break down zones (See Collingwood's on the weekend). We've stuck with the same gameplan for over 3 years and we're not good enough to implement it week in and week out, particularly against the good sides - so why do we stick with it? Seeing Geelong hammer us in Round 20 and witness very little changes made me cringe. We 'bleed' way too easily.

Even Sydney have developed two gameplans this year. Their attacking style combined with their much lauded defensive game has seen them develop into a good side when many expected they'd bottom out.

Post Thanks / Like

If he didn't make things so personal, he might have something to say. He is a bit of a hypocrite as he makes the point that he dislikes people being singled out in a team meeting. Well, what about in the media? What's the difference? I am sure players don't enjoy seeing their names in his articles. Some empathy and self awareness would be too much to expect from Aker. That being said, I am very frustrated with the favoritism shown to certain underperformers this year. Give me Moles or Everitt for Eagle or Hahn any day.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

We are the only top four side that can't consistently stop a run on from the opposition. If things aren't going our way, we're stuffed. Simple.

Geelong, St. Kilda, Collingwood and Hawthorn over the past three seasons have each been able to adapt different game plans. Geelong use the corridor and flick the ball around, but they do have defensive structures in place for when things aren't going as well as they'd like. St. Kilda play a defensive game, but they can really lock games down to an even greater extent. They attacked Geelong in the first half of the QF, then set-up very defensively in the second half. Particularly the last quarter - I didn't agree with it (almost lost them the game) but it worked.
    Geelong - They play the same way regardless. They back in the fact that they are better than the opposition and play with flair & risk. When the opposing team can create turnovers they are vulnerable as their defence is often caught out of position and doesn't have the leg speed to get back into position.

St.Kilda - They play the same way regardless. They open up the forwardline to create space for Riewoldt and the smalls to go to work. They also try to get the ball into their designated kickers at all times, when this doesn't happen they struggle. Their zoning is the same whether they are 10 goals in front or in a close battle.

Out of all these top sides in recent years, we've always been the side most susceptible to a belting and it's because Eade hasn't implemented a gameplan in the event of a crisis. He hasn't been able to teach/find a way to break down zones (See Collingwood's on the weekend). We've stuck with the same gameplan for over 3 years and we're not good enough to implement it week in and week out, particularly against the good sides - so why do we stick with it? Seeing Geelong hammer us in Round 20 and witness very little changes made me cringe. We 'bleed' way too easily.
    In the Geelong game I got the feeling that we made very little positional changes as a test to see how certain players would perform under pressure. Obviously this test back-fired.

As far as being suspectible to a belting goes I disagree. Over the past 2 or 3 years we have copped very few beltings with most of these coming in the past 3 to 4 weeks. What has been proven over the past few weeks is that we do rely on having a fit and healthy list which obviously isn't the case at present.

Even Sydney have developed two gameplans this year. Their attacking style combined with their much lauded defensive game has seen them develop into a good side when many expected they'd bottom out.
    Sydeny were playing shit footy just 6 weeks ago. They are now riding a wave of confidence and emotions and letting it all hang out. Before their winning streak kicked off they looked likely to miss the finals, but now that their list is healthy they are playing well.

We had no problems with our gameplan when we were at our best, but now that we have a compromised team with regards to it's health we look poor against the very best teams, which would happen with most other teams if they had 3 or 4 players missing and another 3 or 4 playing under duress.... And yes I agree that we shouldn't be putting these guys in that position, but we don't have many other options.

Post Thanks / Like

As far as being suspectible to a belting goes I disagree. Over the past 2 or 3 years we have copped very few beltings with most of these coming in the past 3 to 4 weeks. .
    2007 we copped the mother of beltings in the last 7 rounds (except for 1 draw). I just hope this same mental breakdown has not happened again.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    2007 we copped the mother of beltings in the last 7 rounds (except for 1 draw). I just hope this same mental breakdown has not happened again.
    Which is why I said 2 or 3 years (seasons) and NOT 4 which would have included the abortion that was the final 7 games of 2007.

Post Thanks / Like

Geelong - They play the same way regardless. They back in the fact that they are better than the opposition and play with flair & risk. When the opposing team can create turnovers they are vulnerable as their defence is often caught out of position and doesn't have the leg speed to get back into position.

St.Kilda - They play the same way regardless. They open up the forwardline to create space for Riewoldt and the smalls to go to work. They also try to get the ball into their designated kickers at all times, when this doesn't happen they struggle. Their zoning is the same whether they are 10 goals in front or in a close battle.

In the Geelong game I got the feeling that we made very little positional changes as a test to see how certain players would perform under pressure. Obviously this test back-fired.

As far as being suspectible to a belting goes I disagree. Over the past 2 or 3 years we have copped very few beltings with most of these coming in the past 3 to 4 weeks. What has been proven over the past few weeks is that we do rely on having a fit and healthy list which obviously isn't the case at present.

Sydeny were playing shit footy just 6 weeks ago. They are now riding a wave of confidence and emotions and letting it all hang out. Before their winning streak kicked off they looked likely to miss the finals, but now that their list is healthy they are playing well.

We had no problems with our gameplan when we were at our best, but now that we have a compromised team with regards to it's health we look poor against the very best teams, which would happen with most other teams if they had 3 or 4 players missing and another 3 or 4 playing under duress.... And yes I agree that we shouldn't be putting these guys in that position, but we don't have many other options.
    The truth of the matter is that we have had far too many under performing players, this year including Gilbee, Hahn, Hargrave, Gia, Johnson, Higgins and Ward. It isn't rocket science that when you have so many performing poorly how good sides find you out. Apart from Johnson who has retired and Ward who when properly fit is good value, the other five mentioned are all tradeable, if we are going to be a serious flag contender in the future. The Club has put up with mediocrity for too long.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nuggety Back Pocket View Post
    The truth of the matter is that we have had far too many under performing players, this year including Gilbee, Hahn, Hargrave, Gia, Johnson, Higgins and Ward. It isn't rocket science that when you have so many performing poorly how good sides find you out. Apart from Johnson who has retired and Ward who when properly fit is good value, the other five mentioned are all tradeable, if we are going to be a serious flag contender in the future. The Club has put up with mediocrity for too long.
    Hahn, Hargrave and Gia would not get us much in return if we were to trade. Why would other clubs want our underperforming players when you dont?
    Talk about kicking Higgins when he is down, the guy is still young enough to reach his full potential.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nuggety Back Pocket View Post
    Disagree about Gia, he has been pretty consistent this year except for a couple of games. Hargrave had a purple patch during mid year but has tapered off the last 4 weeks.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Disagree on this one especially. I can't remember which show it was but they reviewed the game on the weekend and showed that St. Kilda had pushed numbers up the ground in the last quarter, meaning they had hardly any targets up forward when they won the ball. This reflects the inside 50 count - Geelong got well on top after half time. There's no doubt St. Kilda changed their strategy.

Geelong tinker a bit too, although probably more positional changes with the likes of Hawkins, Ottens, Chapman and Ablett playing where they're most needed.

Also heard that Goddard is encouraged to send himself down back to help out when they are under pump.

These are all strategies to combat a swing of momentum. What do we do? Nothing.

Eade mentioned doing this in 05-06 which is fair enough. He wanted our defenders to learn for themselves, so to speak. Why the hell would you do it when you're supposed to be challenging for a Premiership and you're getting absolutely slaughtered in Round 20?

We all know how mentally fragile we are to begin with, to sit back and watch our team be humiliated would be idiotic.

Geelong hammered us at Skilled in 08, Hawthorn mauled us in the QF, Collingwood have won three of our last four games in the first quarter and by memory St. Kilda defeated us with ease in the 2009 H&A series. That's just off the top of my head, there may (or may not) be a few more. IMO Geelong, Hawks (08) Saints and Pies haven't had as many poor performances as us.

Sydney started the year very well, got injuries, but have bounced back strongly with five in a row. They're a pretty young side and have achieved far beyond anyone's expectation. During their streaks, they've played some good attacking footy and have kept their defensive edge. This isn't based purely on emotion for Kirk/Roos - that lasts a week, max.

We did though. Even at our best we couldn't beat the top sides. To go into the Collingwood QF with the plan we had is another example of stupidity. Why wouldn't we employ a gameplan ala the match v St. Kilda earlier in the year? I can't understand why we did the same thing as always IE. Allow Maxwell to roam free as a sweeper/third man and Swan/Pendlebury to pick up possessions at will.

We keep applying the same techniques, thinking they're going to work, when they haven't and won't.