Martin Blake with Scott Wynd - The Age - 8 September

1. THE 2009 FACTOR

2. THE VENUE

3. THE MATCH-UP

4. BRAD JOHNSON

5. THEY JUST HAVE TO

Article in full...

* Loved this bit by Scotty when talking about Johnno:

To a certain degree, this has all been beaten up by one particular person with a grudge to bear. I'm embarrassed some of our supporters listen to this sort of stuff and not support one of our greatest-ever players.
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Five reasons why the Dogs can win

Hear bloody hear. It's disgraceful. I never thought I would see the day when our HERO would be treated like this. Those so-called "supporters" have had their brains hijacked by the biggest traitor in the league. People, WAKE UP!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post

* Loved this bit by Scotty when talking about Johnno:

To a certain degree, this has all been beaten up by one particular person with a grudge to bear. I'm embarrassed some of our supporters listen to this sort of stuff and not support one of our greatest-ever players.
    I think Scott should be embarrassed with that line.

If he thinks that our supporters aren't able to make up their own minds and only listen to what Aker has to say in regards to Brad's form he is seriously deluded. Blind Freddy could see that Johnno was playing under duress on Saturday night and this injury is obviously affecting his form.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    I think Scott should be embarrassed with that line.

If he thinks that our supporters aren't able to make up their own minds and only listen to what Aker has to say in regards to Brad's form he is seriously deluded. Blind Freddy could see that Johnno was playing under duress on Saturday night and this injury is obviously affecting his form.
    I don't think for a second that our supporters are following Akermanis, but a huge number should be embarassed about their treatment of one of our greatest ever players. It wasn't only Collingwood supporters booing him on Saturday, and that disgusted me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    I don't think for a second that our supporters are following Akermanis, but a huge number should be embarassed about their treatment of one of our greatest ever players. It wasn't only Collingwood supporters booing him on Saturday, and that disgusted me.
    I didn't notice our supporters behaving this way probably because I was stuck in the middle of the filth, but if they did I agree it's poor form. However what was noticeable was the amount of frustration the Bulldog faithful had in regards to team selection so perhaps some of this frustration was vented in an unsavoury way.

Johnno also didn't make many friends (especially with the Collingwood supporters around me) with his niggling tactics. Throughout his career he has been applauded for his playing style (ball player) and I was a little disappointed to see him resort to 'roughing up' the opposition because throughout his career he has always just let his footy do the talking.

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't notice our supporters behaving this way probably because I was stuck in the middle of the filth, but if they did I agree it's poor form. However what was noticeable was the amount of frustration the Bulldog faithful had in regards to team selection so perhaps some of this frustration was vented in an unsavoury way.

Johnno also didn't make many friends (especially with the Collingwood supporters around me) with his niggling tactics. Throughout his career he has been applauded for his playing style (ball player) and I was a little disappointed to see him resort to 'roughing up' the opposition because throughout his career he has always just let his footy do the talking.
    Its a sure sign that he is struggling. Otherwise he would have just played the ball.

Post Thanks / Like

Johnno was labouring and was an easy target for the filth supporters to bag. But it wasn't as though his direct opponent had much influence on proceedings.

I was personally far more upset at other members of the team for not doing anywhere near enough to stem the Collingwood midfield and contested possession dominance.

Post Thanks / Like

It wasn't any individual performance specifically that disappointed me but collective attitude and lack of Bulldogs spirit.

we looked spiritless and panic riddled. Just Jamming it on the boot into a contest won't win you a final. Even with Adam in last weekend we would have been beaten badly. Need to get back to simple things. Hitting targets, tackles, bread and butter contested footy. Cliche I know but true!
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

I thankfully was in row LL right near standing room so I didn't hear any of that - jeebus that's ordinary, I wasn't aware of that.

I've paid out on a few guys verbally from the stands at times - and Johnno has copped one or two 'sprays' (if you can call an idiot yelling out for 4 seconds from the stand a spray) from me over the journey...which isn't bad for a 17 year career....but to boo your own...
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desipura View Post
    Its a sure sign that he is struggling. Otherwise he would have just played the ball.
    After speaking with my father after the game we shared the same opinion.

The opinions of the "negative" supporters is years of zero success venting out on players (not only one) over the years that are put in the side because the MC doesn't want to make the hard decisions. If he is injured and low on form, leave him out. Simple.

What really pissed me off about this article was Wynd thinking people are siding with Aker and have no respect for Johnson. Johnson is a legend of the AFL not just the Dogs. If I had two buckets of sh#t and Johno and Aker was standing in front of me, the other bucket would be thrown on myself before Johnson. (I'd actually throw them both at Aker but you get the point I'm making?)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HairyMidget View Post
    What really pissed me off about this article was Wynd thinking people are siding with Aker and have no respect for Johnson.

Well if you listen to talkback radio, then you would hear that Wynd is on the money.
    For those who were always the underdogs and wore it as a badge of honour.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aker39 View Post
    Well if you listen to talkback radio, then you would hear that Wynd is on the money.
    No I don't, plus I live in Queensland.
    Talk back radio will make you sterile.

What are they saying? "Aker is right", or "Johnson is not performing"??? Cause they can be two different things.