Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Andrew Hooper in line for cut-throat final

THE Western Bulldogs were last night wrestling with a huge call to name the league's first finals debutant in 25 years.

Andrew Hooper's name has been hotly debated all week and he is on the brink of squeezing into the starting line-up for Saturday night's semi-final against Sydney.

Link Below:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/af...-1225916112494

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Andrew Hooper in line for cut-throat final

Think this kid should get a game. Now with Higgins out for the rest of the season, could be the bolter for the finals!

Post Thanks / Like

I say play him. We need someone with speed to add some pressure in our forward 50 and to attack the ball on the deck when it spills at Halls feet.

Post Thanks / Like

Andrew Hooper in line for cut-throat final

Mark Stevens From: Herald Sun September 08, 2010

THE Western Bulldogs were last night wrestling with a huge call to name the league's first finals debutant in 25 years.
    Andrew Hooper's name has been hotly debated all week and he is on the brink of squeezing into the starting line-up for Saturday night's semi-final against Sydney.

The Bulldogs match committee meets today to finalise its 22, with the club's smallest player at least a 50-50 chance to play. It would be a stunning elevation given the last player plucked from obscurity for a finals debut was North Melbourne's Paul Spargo in 1985.

Hooper, a stocky 172cm and 79kg, has been banging down the door to be selected.

Dogs legend Chris Grant said last night the 19-year-old had the mental steel to have an immediate impact.

"He will give you real effort. Unquestionable effort and attack on the footy," Grant said.

"He runs in straight lines, like a Ben McGlynn. He doesn't waiver. It's all or nothing."

The Herald Sun revealed Hooper was on the brink of senior selection a fortnight ago, leading into the Round 22 Essendon game.

He narrowly missed being picked, meaning the Dogs did not get a chance to test him at AFL intensity.

Spargo's debut was a first semi-final against the Bulldogs at the MCG - 25 years ago to the day on Saturday.

Simon Beasley brought up a century of goals in the same match and Doug Hawkins was best-on-ground.

The most famous finals first-gamers are Hawthorn's Dermott Brereton (first semi-final, 1982) and Collingwood's Len Thompson (preliminary final, 1965).

Hooper was promoted from the rookie list mid-season and is a quick forward capable of chase-down tackles - a major weakness in the Bulldogs' make-up.

North Ballarat Rebels region manager Phil Partington, who watched has Hooper progress for several years, has no doubts about him.

"He loves the big occasion," Partington said. "He stepped up at the draft camp and the national under-18 championships - he just thrives.

"He has always been able to make the step to the next level through the age groups. We are talking about a confident lad who believes in himself. He will never die wondering. He's like a dog with the bone.

"I'd be a very happy man if he got a game. It's been his dream since he was 10 or 12."

Hooper finished third in the 20m sprint at last year's draft camp, but was ignored until pick No. 35 in the rookie draft.

He has emerged as a cult-figure with Williamstown, playing a key role in taking the team to the top of the VFL ladder.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Be bold Doggies!
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Same as bornadog's thread...merge?
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    Same as bornadog's thread...merge?
    Saw that, just adding to my view that he should get ago this week! Have seen him at Willy and really think he could fill the void of our lack of a small crumbing opportunistic forward.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SlimPickens View Post
    Saw that, just adding to my view that he should get ago this week! Have seen him at Willy and really think he could fill the void of our lack of a small crumbing opportunistic forward.
    I agree he's worth a go, I'm not convinced having watched him play that he's really a crumbing small forward, more an opportunist poaching type forward, but he certainly brings intensity and will apply defensive pressure and the preparedness to work both ways. I also don't think he'll be overawed by the occasion, he seems like a guy who desperately wants to make the most of his chances.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    I agree he's worth a go, I'm not convinced having watched him play that he's really a crumbing small forward, more an opportunist poaching type forward, but he certainly brings intensity and will apply defensive pressure and the preparedness to work both ways. I also don't think he'll be overawed by the occasion, he seems like a guy who desperately wants to make the most of his chances.
    This is a big one for me...i agree. Looks like he has a level head on his shoulders and will give it a red hot crack.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SlimPickens View Post
    This is a big one for me...i agree. Looks like he has a level head on his shoulders and will give it a red hot crack.
    It probably shows the MC made a mistake not giving him a go during the H&A season when his form was hot. Not that he'd be the first player to debut in a final and it'll be a chance to see what he's made of.

Post Thanks / Like

It probably shows the MC made a mistake not giving him a go during the H&A season when his form was hot. Not that he'd be the first player to debut in a final and it'll be a chance to see what he's made of.
    Rodney agrees with you.

Snippet taken from one of today's articles.

He (Eade) rated youngster Andrew Hooper an outside chance to make his debut against the Swans, acknowledging the Bulldogs had erred in not giving him a couple of home-and-away games.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    Rodney agrees with you.

Snippet taken from one of today's articles.
    Cheers Doc, I always thought Rodney was a smart man!

Post Thanks / Like

Cheers Doc, I always thought Rodney was a smart man!
    And you obviously saw the article.

I think he should have played against Essendon, I saw him twice live at Willi this year and he didn't crumb the ball off packs as such but he certainly put himself in a good position with which to do so. He is also very very chatty out on the field and doesn't lack any confidence. He's still in the very early stages of his apprenticeship and at best he will provide a tenacious X factor in our forward line, who will at least be able to get to contests and apply pressure on the opposition coming out of D50, why wouldn't we pick him?

The only issue with the MC will be that if they pick him they will be hesitant to bring in Moles as well and I think Moles should come in. Roughie, Wood, Moles and Hooper may be one too many changes for the MC.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not so sure about this decision as I thought Grant was our second worst player (after Minson) last weekend. And I put that down to the occasion more than anything else. Does anyone really think Hooper will be any better?

becmatty Guest

Oh really? So I guess things must have changed dramatically in your head since you slated this idea when I called for his selection in round 22?

I said that he was electryingly fast, a great mark for his size and would be a worthy gamble ahead of the finals to give our forward line some bite.

I guess when you were saying that you 'tottally disagree' , that I have 'no idea' and asked 'Is this the same Hooper at Williamstown that I've been wathcing?' perhaps you were just talking about the Home and Away season.

Now that it is a popular opinion, why not hitch a ride on the bandwagon?