Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Andrew Hooper in line for cut-throat final

Hooper in or out shouldn't be the reason we win or lose. There are far deeper reasons than a small forward for the way we are playing. It has to do with being able to win contested footy, being able to get our number of tackles up across the whole team, and getting across to helping mates in the middle of the ground so that we can get the ball into the forward line with efficiency. One question is whether Boyd, Griffen, Johnson, Cross et al can actually dispose of the ball at speed with accuracy. Murphy and Gilbee also loom as extremely important in whether they can skilfully initiate long, quick passages of play off half back. Gotta start winning centre bounces and stoppages to the extent that we actually score heavily from the ones we do win.

Yes, play Hooper in the forward line but I'm just not sure if should do this and play Johnno in the goal square.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    What is this assumption based on?
    Watching him play, a desire to hurt the opposition, breaking Riewoldt a few years ago at the MCG, being the guy players didn't want to box against during training sessions, and the story of him pulling metal staples out of his belly with pliers on holiday.

You don't think he's one of the on-field "niceguys", surely?
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Watching him play, a desire to hurt the opposition, breaking Riewoldt a few years ago at the MCG, being the guy players didn't want to box against during training sessions, and the story of him pulling metal staples out of his belly with pliers on holiday.

You don't think he's one of the on-field "niceguys", surely?
    I don't see him as a 'nice-guy', conversely I don't see him as a hard-arse.

He is somewhere in the middle.

Post Thanks / Like

A guy just rang SEN and said that he has it on very good authority that Hooper WILL be playing.

Take it for what it's worth.
    For those who were always the underdogs and wore it as a badge of honour.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aker39 View Post
    A guy just rang SEN and said that he has it on very good authority that Hooper WILL be playing.

I'll wait for the official teams.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by metal View Post
    Hooper in or out shouldn't be the reason we win or lose. There are far deeper reasons than a small forward for the way we are playing. It has to do with being able to win contested footy, being able to get our number of tackles up across the whole team, and getting across to helping mates in the middle of the ground so that we can get the ball into the forward line with efficiency. One question is whether Boyd, Griffen, Johnson, Cross et al can actually dispose of the ball at speed with accuracy. Murphy and Gilbee also loom as extremely important in whether they can skilfully initiate long, quick passages of play off half back. Gotta start winning centre bounces and stoppages to the extent that we actually score heavily from the ones we do win.

Yes, play Hooper in the forward line, but I'm just not sure if we should do this and play Johnno in the goal square (which is where I want him to be, if we are going to play him).
    I like your idea of playing Johnno out of the goal square a move supported by one of our former greats and a club selector of some note. This would allow Hall to play at centre half forward similar to his role at the Sydney Swans. There isn't any good reason why both Jones and Hooper couldn't be selected. I would also bite the bullet by choosing Murphy at half forward with Grant on the other flank with both Harbrow and hopefully a fit Wood returning to defence. Finally one other team selection and that is bring Everitt in for Minson as a second string ruckman to Hudson.
    We definitely need more mobility around the ground.This is a very winnable final but it requires determination, courage and a bit of the old Sutton, Whitten never say die spirit.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nuggety Back Pocket View Post
    I like your idea of playing Johnno out of the goal square a move supported by one of our former greats and a club selector of some note. This would allow Hall to play at centre half forward similar to his role at the Sydney Swans. There isn't any good reason why both Jones and Hooper couldn't be selected. I would also bite the bullet by choosing Murphy at half forward with Grant on the other flank with both Harbrow and hopefully a fit Wood returning to defence. Finally one other team selection and that is bring Everitt in for Minson as a second string ruckman to Hudson.
    I can't see that happening because as we saw in rd 21 Harbrow is really struggling in a defensive role.

He must play up the ground.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't see that happening because as we saw in rd 21 Harbrow is really struggling in a defensive role.
    With Cooney out I prefer his run through the middle anyway - we can cover him in defence with Murphy playing back & Wood returning.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aker39 View Post

He might well be onto something.

Post Thanks / Like

StevoHeraldSun:
    Hoopla: Dogs will play Andrew Hooper ... First finals debut in 25 years

From Twitter - he will definitely play.

Post Thanks / Like

Now Confirmed in team Selections
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't see him as a 'nice-guy', conversely I don't see him as a hard-arse.

He is somewhere in the middle.
    Me too, doesn't really strike me as a hard nut...
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    Me too, doesn't really strike me as a hard nut...
    I'll disagree - I have been in the crowd against North & the Saints where opposition fans were howling against him as a dirty player.

If he's in the middle, I'd be interested to know who people think the ~20 blokes on our list are that have more on-field bastardry than Hargrave are.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I'll disagree - I have been in the crowd against North & the Saints where opposition fans were howling against him as a dirty player.

If he's in the middle, I'd be interested to know who people think the ~20 blokes on our list are that have more on-field bastardry than Hargrave are.
    Not in the middle on our list, coz we don't have hardnuts.

In the AFL, maybe closer to the middle. I think he'd be good to have on your side in a real fight (Hello Heath Black), but he's not exactly someone I would label as overly hard at the ball, or likely to hurt someone on the field.

Post Thanks / Like

I Thought I started a Thread a few weeks back. "Why haven't these guys got a Jumper"

Markovic, Hooper, & Rose.

Sometimes I wonder about "Our" club?
    Take guys on yet play the same ole tired crap.

Give the rookies a go, we took em on so try em out, just like every other club.

Eade wants another Lake ___ Markovic

We are missing Scotty West_________ try Hooper

Who to take over Johnno's role_________ Patrick "Petal" Rose.

Some say Markovic is too slow. Doh Lake aint fast just reads the play so well and gets to position, reminds me of Markovic.

Hoops --- congrats finally recognised

Rose_______ reminds me of Johnno, Runs all day, Hunts, terrorises, nd kicks goals.

Now for all those wankers who have never been to a Willy Game. Don't be too cruel on me or them

And get your facts right first.