Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Hooper a happy surprise packet

Hooper a happy surprise packet

By Jennifer Witham
    5:33 PM Thu 09 Sep, 2010

WESTERN Bulldogs rookie Andrew Hooper thinks his untried status could be his biggest weapon against the Sydney Swans on Saturday night in the do-or-die final at the MCG.

The 19-year-old will become the 33rd player to debut in a final, and believes sneaking under the radar will help him against Paul Roos’ men.

“I think I can bring a bit of pace and forward pressure and hopefully set up goal assists and put a few goals on the board,” he told afl.com.au.

“I don’t think the Swans will know much about me. It could be an upside to my game while I’ll just go out and play my normal game.”

Bulldogs assistant coach Chris Maple, who coached Hooper at the North Ballarat Rebels last year, said he would offer the side plenty after kicking four goals in Williamstown’s first final two weeks ago.

“He’s been playing predominantly as a small forward,” he said.

“He’s enthusiastic and he’ll lift the group in that respect. He’s a genuine competitor with his leg speed and he can kick a goal.”

The speedy forward was told of his inclusion on Thursday afternoon and instantly rang his parents Allan and Marg, who will come down from Ballarat for the game.

“It’s more excitement than nerves at the moment and I’m just pretty happy to get picked,” he said.

“You don’t look into it too much but it’s going to be pretty exciting to run out in front of a big crowd.”

Maple said the Bulldogs were confident Hooper could cope with the mental side of making his debut in such an important game.

“He’s played well in the carnivals and he did well at the draft camp, which is quite a pressure situation for young fellas,” he said.

“Even as a 15-year-old he played in TAC Cup finals and he’s always done all right in those sorts of games.”

Hooper has been training with the main group and participating in meetings all week.

He believes the Dogs will need to step up their intensity against the Swans if they’re to get the favourable result.

“I think it’s just our pressure all over the ground and just to get our ball movement going quicker,” he said.

Hooper was elevated earlier in the season when the Bulldogs contemplated taking him to Darwin for their round 16 clash with Port Adelaide.

At 172cm, he is the same height as North Melbourne captain Brent Harvey and Sydney Swans forward Ben McGlynn, who has been named to play his first game since round 20.

The last player to debut in a final was Paul Spargo for North Melbourne in the 1985 semi, incidentally against the Bulldogs at the MCG.

A more prolific September debut was Dermott Brereton’s five-goal offering in the 1982 semi between Hawthorn and North Melbourne.

Hooper said it was “pretty special” to be among the rare group.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hooper a happy surprise packet

Sounds like he's got a good head on his shoulders, all the best Hoops.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Obviously rates himself, why else would he have a tattoo with his surname on his wrist? Good luck kid!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desipura View Post
    Obviously rates himself, why else would he have a tattoo with his surname on his wrist? Good luck kid!
    In case he forgets his surname.

Post Thanks / Like

I like this, A bit of caution to the wind!

You dare devils you match committee!

Post Thanks / Like

Pat on the back for the MC!!!!! Stoked.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Desi - I spend a fair bit of time with 16-22 yo kids...the percentage of them with some kind of ink would now be > 70%. The percentage with their name or a component thereof on them would be approaching 40%.

I barely understand the tattoo thing and I am still in my 30's. None of them can explain why they have their name tattooed...
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Desi - I spend a fair bit of time with 16-22 yo kids...the percentage of them with some kind of ink would now be > 70%. The percentage with their name or a component thereof on them would be approaching 40%.

I barely understand the tattoo thing and I am still in my 30's. None of them can explain why they have their name tattooed...
    Thanks Mike, Im not into tattoos myself. Just dont understand why you would get of all things, your surname tattoed. If it was in another language and it looked alright, well maybe I could understand it.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike, Im not into tattoos myself. Just dont understand why you would get of all things, your surname tattoed. If it was in another language and it looked alright, well maybe I could understand it.
    Maybe it has something to so with his father or grandfather? More so for the family name rather than 'his' name? Just guessing, I don't have any tattoos either - still waiting for a Bulldogs premiership to get one!!

Does anyone know what number he's wearing?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Suz 32 View Post
    Maybe it has something to so with his father or grandfather? More so for the family name rather than 'his' name? Just guessing, I don't have any tattoos either - still waiting for a Bulldogs premiership to get one!!

41? Pretty sure.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Suz 32 View Post

Suz I believe his DOG No is 41 as well.
    CYA 2morra