Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Western Bulldogs fans must show loyalty

A good article by Stevens, urging the Dogs members to turn up at the G...

Western Bulldogs fans must show loyalty
    Mark Stevens | Herald Sun | September 10, 2010

DAVID Smorgon and Campbell Rose might spend much of Saturday night's pre-match gazing anxiously up into the MCG's Southern Stand.

The hearts of the Bulldogs heavies will sink if huge banks of seats remain empty at the first bounce.

They won't be worried about the bottom line, for finals crowds are not a cash bonanza for competing clubs.

But they will be concerned about the perception, which right now is even more important than the dollar.

If the Dogs are to be considered an emerging force in the AFL, they must attract at least 45,000 to tonight's semi-final against Sydney.

Anything less than 40,000 - regardless of the weather - would be embarrassing.

The Dogs boast a record membership of almost 35,000 and this is no time for those fans, so bullish in the NAB Cup when a lot less was at stake, to go missing.

Apparently ticket sales out at the Kennel were soft for week one against the Magpies and interest leading up to the cut-throat clash with the Swans has again been slow.

It seems a defeatist attitude has swept through a vast section of Dogs supporters.

The loss to Geelong was a jab to the guts and the hammy injury to Adam Cooney was a knockout blow for many.

It appears too many Dogs fans have battle fatigue.

Six losing preliminary finals in a row, some in heartbreaking circumstances, will do that to you.

Click HERE to read the remainder of the article...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Western Bulldogs fans must show loyalty

Very good read... C'mon Dogs fans, we can't jump off now!!!
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

What a load of rubbish! Is that the reason for the lack of intensity and commitment
    Yes put the heat on the supporters Give us a spell!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    What a load of rubbish! Is that the reason for the lack of intensity and commitment
    Yes put the heat on the supporters Give us a spell!
    I don't think it's making any excuses, just the point that to not turn up now because our chances have taken a dive, would be the wrong thing to do. It's certainly not rubbish to suggest a lot will have jumped ship in the last few weeks.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

I've almost lost faith in some of our supporters. Bagging Johnno ....... hard to put in to words that practice.
    He grew up at the Western Oval as a kid with his family watching Hawk, Super, Fossie, Choco, Rick Kennedy run around, played his heart and soul out for the last 17 years all with a smile and somehow "supporters" find some hate inside them to steer in his direction. I think Scott Wynd called it embarrassing during the week and he is not far off.
    It might be this legends last game, get along and support him and the team. I sense tonight may be something special... Its not only about winning, its about being part of something. GO DOGS! (and johnno)

Post Thanks / Like

Look I love Smorgon but really instead of putting the heat on the supporter base put the acid on the football dept.I didn't attend last week (I have a feral barometer and The pies measure 11) so I don't go when we play them.I think alot of folk will purchase a ticket at the ground tonight ! I am

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    I've almost lost faith in some of our supporters. Bagging Johnno ....... hard to put in to words that practice.
    He grew up at the Western Oval as a kid with his family watching Hawk, Super, Fossie, Choco, Rick Kennedy run around, played his heart and soul out for the last 17 years all with a smile and somehow "supporters" find some hate inside them to steer in his direction. I think Scott Wynd called it embarrassing during the week and he is not far off.
    It might be this legends last game, get along and support him and the team. I sense tonight may be something special... Its not only about winning, its about being part of something. GO DOGS! (and johnno)
    Disagree with the jeering,but the MC and Eade are going to look stupid if Johnno is limping around tonight and can't get a kick.

Post Thanks / Like

I suspect tonights crowd will be pretty ordinary.

We have to have the most pathetic supporters in the league.

No-one turns on their own as quick as a Bulldogs supporter - even Richmond.

(Am I turning on my own by posting that?)

Post Thanks / Like

When times are tough you can always tell who the real fans are.

I have never been more fired up for a game (that I wasn't playing in) than I am today. I will be there with my game face on ready to go, and God help anyone in my vicinity who bags Johnno tonight.

Fire up Dogs! Bring the heat!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    I sense the same thing tonight!
    Can't really put into words how I feel...
    Anxious? Excited? Nervous? Gee, the emotions of being a Bulldogs Supporter are really showing now!

Post Thanks / Like

This is total horse shit. I'm not going tonight. And the reason has nothing to do with whether I think we'll win or not. I'm voting with my feet against the constant bullshit we're fed by the club, the constant excuses and media spin. I'm upset that it's Johnno's maybe last game and I might miss that, but on the other hand, I'm angry enough to almost not care.

I'm not a bandwagon supporter. I ride the rollercoaster like everybody else and I've not jumped off once in my life. But to turn around and tell supporters, who've pledged not just money but their passion, their emotions, given everything they can to face a bunch of heartless wimps. That performance against Collingwood, coming from a team that in the midst of membership drives was telling people they'd settle for no less than a GF berth, is beyond insipid. They've shown that this young bunch of men stand for nothing, believe in nothing, and then for Rocket to turn around and talk about "belief", well, that's the last bloody straw for me.

A bit more respect for us might see me change my mind. But the heat should be on Rocket, the rest of the coaching staff, and the players, not on fans who've stuck by them through thick and thin.

It's actually funny, because last Friday night Collingwood fans were abusing me telling us to "go rattle your tins". Well, I was proud of that, I've always been very proud of the way the fans banded together to save this club. I took it as a compliment. The biggest insult has come from our own club. "Belief". You're kidding yourself Rocket. Shape up or ship out.

Here endeth the rant.

Post Thanks / Like

The amount of vitriol coming from our own towards our own is alarming.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry Andrew, just hard to clear the smell of bullshit from my nose.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    I suspect tonights crowd will be pretty ordinary.

We have to have the most pathetic supporters in the league.

No-one turns on their own as quick as a Bulldogs supporter - even Richmond.

?)
    Agree. I do however get sick of Smorgo pointing the finger at the supporters.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Agree. I do however get sick of Smorgo pointing the finger at the supporters.
    Yes! I don't mind losing. It's the crap coming out of Whitten Oval that has me totally disillusioned.