Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Western Bulldogs fans must show loyalty

Quote Originally Posted by BornAScragger View Post
    This is total horse shit. I'm not going tonight. And the reason has nothing to do with whether I think we'll win or not. I'm voting with my feet against the constant bullshit we're fed by the club, the constant excuses and media spin. I'm upset that it's Johnno's maybe last game and I might miss that, but on the other hand, I'm angry enough to almost not care.

I'm not a bandwagon supporter. I ride the rollercoaster like everybody else and I've not jumped off once in my life. But to turn around and tell supporters, who've pledged not just money but their passion, their emotions, given everything they can to face a bunch of heartless wimps. That performance against Collingwood, coming from a team that in the midst of membership drives was telling people they'd settle for no less than a GF berth, is beyond insipid. They've shown that this young bunch of men stand for nothing, believe in nothing, and then for Rocket to turn around and talk about "belief", well, that's the last bloody straw for me.

A bit more respect for us might see me change my mind. But the heat should be on Rocket, the rest of the coaching staff, and the players, not on fans who've stuck by them through thick and thin.

It's actually funny, because last Friday night Collingwood fans were abusing me telling us to "go rattle your tins". Well, I was proud of that, I've always been very proud of the way the fans banded together to save this club. I took it as a compliment. The biggest insult has come from our own club. "Belief". You're kidding yourself Rocket. Shape up or ship out.

Here endeth the rant.
    Well there are always another 15, 16 and even 17 coming in, teams to follow.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Agree. I do however get sick of Smorgo pointing the finger at the supporters.
    Could not agree more re Smorgon.

Post Thanks / Like

This is total horse shit. I'm not going tonight. And the reason has nothing to do with whether I think we'll win or not. I'm voting with my feet against the constant bullshit we're fed by the club, the constant excuses and media spin. I'm upset that it's Johnno's maybe last game and I might miss that, but on the other hand, I'm angry enough to almost not care.

I'm not a bandwagon supporter. I ride the rollercoaster like everybody else and I've not jumped off once in my life. But to turn around and tell supporters, who've pledged not just money but their passion, their emotions, given everything they can to face a bunch of heartless wimps. That performance against Collingwood, coming from a team that in the midst of membership drives was telling people they'd settle for no less than a GF berth, is beyond insipid. They've shown that this young bunch of men stand for nothing, believe in nothing, and then for Rocket to turn around and talk about "belief", well, that's the last bloody straw for me.

A bit more respect for us might see me change my mind. But the heat should be on Rocket, the rest of the coaching staff, and the players, not on fans who've stuck by them through thick and thin.

It's actually funny, because last Friday night Collingwood fans were abusing me telling us to "go rattle your tins". Well, I was proud of that, I've always been very proud of the way the fans banded together to save this club. I took it as a compliment. The biggest insult has come from our own club. "Belief". You're kidding yourself Rocket. Shape up or ship out.

Here endeth the rant.
    Maybe this is why things have been very quiet coming out of the Kennel this week BAS
    and we will see actions rather than words this week. That is the hope I am clinging to anyway. Was very disappointed last week and must admit the Johnno factor is playing a big part in me fronting up again tonight. I feel like the club needs us in times like this .

Post Thanks / Like

From memory I think he did it last year too and it didn't sit well with me, I took it kinda personally and suspect many others did as well. Still in the bigger scheme of things I think he has been great for us.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bobmurphy View Post
    Could not agree more re Smorgon.
    Could not disagree more. Our fans are not fans and they need shaking. Teams like Richmond have played one final in 30 years yet they still pull in big crowds, because they are passionate. Our so called supporters can't even think about going tonight, for gods sake its a final and we have a chance to make the prelim.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Could not disagree more. Our fans are not fans and they need shaking. Teams like Richmond have played one final in 30 years yet they still pull in big crowds, because they are passionate. Our so called supporters can't even think about going tonight, for gods sake its a final and we have a chance to make the prelim.
    Hear hear!! Well said!
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think comparing our crowds to Richmond's crowds is a good comparision. I would think Richmond have double the amount of supporters than we do so therefore naturally they'd get more to games.

Smorgon says the same thing year in year out, yet when are the players and coaching panel going to hold up their end of the bargin?

For the last 3 years we have played terrible terrible football in the first final. Yet we still go in with the same players and get the same result.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah but tickets are expensive man. Our on field performances and good management
    have lead to a great membership tally this year. But not all of these are going to be die hard supporters. You have to accept that for some people footy is just entertainment! They probably all forked out for last weeks game and came away feeling like they just watched a pretty pathetic performance. And when the media is telling them that our season is cooked how many of them are gonna fork out another 70 or 80 bucks to watch us get flogged again ?

I suspect that the virus has had a pretty massive impact on our ability to run out games and of course there are the injuries and a lot of injured players playing as well. But to a casual supporter last week probably just looked pissweak .

Yes I am going again tonight but it is really breaking the bank. Maybe I am the one fooling myself , fronting up again, telling myself there are mitigating circumstances and that we will come good... i dunno, like you it saddens me but I understand if people choose not to go.

Post Thanks / Like

What the difference between a supporter and a member? I am a Member and will be there tonight to give my respect to Johnno and to tell my kids that i was there to see Johnno play, regardless of the result this year i WILL be a member next year. And correct me if i'm wrong but the supporters of North Melbourne are the worst of the AFL in showing bums in seats of games.

Go Dogs...................

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I get tired of Smorgon picking and choosing when to raise his voice so to speak. It'll be interesting to hear what he says once the year is finished. I'd hope he doesn't use injuries as the excuse, but fear he will.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bobmurphy View Post
    I don't think comparing our crowds to Richmond's crowds is a good comparision. I would think Richmond have double the amount of supporters than we do so therefore naturally they'd get more to games
    Don't we have more members? I think it is a good contrast
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not going tonight.

I've worked 22 hours in the past 34 hours and am going home to relax with a few glasses of red and hopefully a Dogs win.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I'm glad I didn't go and I'm sad I didn't go. I'm happy that they proved me wrong and I'm happy to now look like a bit of a dickhead. That said, I feared what I'd be like if I turned up for another repeat of last week. Might've been it for me. I think we all need to sometimes take a step back. I love my Dogs, always will. It's never about winning or losing for me. It's always about how we go about it. I hope a five point win isn't just papering over cracks. We'll wait and see I guess. Real test is this week against Saints.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I'm glad I didn't go and I'm sad I didn't go. I'm happy that they proved me wrong and I'm happy to now look like a bit of a dickhead. That said, I feared what I'd be like if I turned up for another repeat of last week. Might've been it for me. I think we all need to sometimes take a step back. I love my Dogs, always will. It's never about winning or losing for me. It's always about how we go about it. I hope a five point win isn't just papering over cracks. We'll wait and see I guess. Real test is this week against Saints.
    After your original post, I'm glad you followed up with this post.

Yes we have been disappointing in the last couple of weeks, but what you don't realize is that you have the opportunity that many of us would kill for ... You have the opportunity to tell your grandkids that you were there for Johnno's last game. That will mean you either watch us lose or watch us make it to a Grand Final.
    For those of us that live country, interstate, or overseas and can't afford to travel, we would give our eye teeth to be there.
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

There was more Swans fans tonight.