Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

How Swans fans broke Hall's heart

Michael Crowley - The Age - 11 September

When Barry Hall rode onto the SCG a year ago, the faithful stood, cheered and brought a tear to his eye as he bade farewell.

But now they had turned. Hall had endured crowd abuse throughout his career but with even the children of Swans fans branding him a traitor, it seemed like the bond built between Hall and Sydney over nine seasons had been broken.

It was three weeks ago and Hall was back in Sydney, this time as a Western Bulldog. While not expecting them to cheer him, Hall felt Swans fans would welcome him. While some offered encouragement, others jeered, abused and even let their children do their dirty work.

''I was really disappointed, very disappointed,'' Hall said. ''I thought they were better than that. I would nearly put them in the category of a Collingwood supporter now.

Article in full...
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How Swans fans broke Hall's heart

Surprisingly good media man is Barry.

Post Thanks / Like

I was there, i was suprised they were booing so vociferously. I even asked the woman next to me (who was more interested in chatting to her friend than watching the game) how you can boo your premiership captain saying i thought he was a hero up here... She simply replied "not any more!" You would expect some booing but in the stand i was in (Victor Trumper) it seemed to me over the top. Its a very different crowd up there.

Post Thanks / Like

Now go break theirs Barry

Post Thanks / Like

A lot of Bulldog supporters probably thought similar before Barry got the club.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rooner17 View Post
    Now go break theirs Barry
    Payback is a bitch! haha

Post Thanks / Like

I was disgusted, especially after Barry openly stating something like, "I'll never forget what the Sydney people have done for me, and what we did together", when questioned on the matter earlier in the year. I also have always respected the Sydney faithful, but now I'm not as sure. For the Canberra match they did seem more or less welcoming, maybe it's because there were more die-hard supporters there who would always respect Barry.

Post Thanks / Like

Very impressed with Bazza in his time at the Kennel... interesting bit where they hint there was 'more' to his move away from Sydney. Carn Baz, show them you made the right move!!! Kick a bag! Hell, kick two bags!

More lazy journalism in this one - has proofreading become a thing of the past?
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Hall get vengeance tonight !!!
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

How they found time boo Barry when they have to perform a Mexican Wave while the game is going is a great skill!

Post Thanks / Like

Stuck it up 'em this time Bazza!!!!!!!
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Some of the Sydney supporters around me last night, most one eyed i have ever heard.

Everything should be a free kick & Bazza was crap, unbelievable.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JH40 View Post
    Some of the Sydney supporters around me last night, most one eyed i have ever heard.

Everything should be a free kick & Bazza was crap, unbelievable.
    Had an old bloke next to me. Hardly said a word in the second half.
    Shook his hand at end of game out of respect for Kirky & Roos. He appreciated that and the fact that the Bulldog fold cheered them off the ground too.