Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barry

Post Thanks / Like

Barry

Has a player ever kicked 80 goals in a year without kicking more than 7 in a game? Usually a total like that would be made up of a bag of at leat one 10+ and a couple of 8 goal performances. but from memory Barry's best effort was a bag of 7 goals. What an ultra consistant year he's had.

Also is he the first player to kick 50 goals in a year at 3 different clubs? I cant think of another.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Barry

Has been the recruit of the year, what a difference he has made up forward.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Has been the recruit of the year, what a difference he has made up forward.
    I agree that his recruitment has been a success but are we actually a better side than we were 12 months back because we have him?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Has a player ever kicked 80 goals in a year without kicking more than 7 in a game? Usually a total like that would be made up of a bag of at leat one 10+ and a couple of 8 goal performances. but from memory Barry's best effort was a bag of 7 goals. What an ultra consistant year he's had.

Also is he the first player to kick 50 goals in a year at 3 different clubs? I cant think of another.
    Can't think of one in my time.
    Agree with bornadog with recruit of the year.
    Must be the most unselfish fullforward of all time.
    Could have kicked a couple of bags but brought other players into the game.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I agree that his recruitment has been a success but are we actually a better side than we were 12 months back because we have him?
    The biggest criticsm of the team was that we didn't have a big forward that is required in finals. The previous years under Eade ie 2005 to 2009, we have been in the top three scoring sides, yet in finals we didn't have a big forward to take a grab. Well now we do and he showed his value to the side last night and lets hope next week.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Hall has kicked more goals this season than any other Bulldog has in a season for 22 years.

Post Thanks / Like

I could'nt have seen us entering a Prelim. without him. We have had many this year way below par for various reasons, injury one of them, eg Johnson, Higgins, Ward, Gilbee, Hargrave, Akermanis, Hahn, Hill and a number of others that haven't performed well when we've needed them to. Barry has done his bit whereas others have fallen off.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    I could'nt have seen us entering a Prelim. without him. We have had many this year way below par for various reasons, injury one of them, eg Johnson, Higgins, Ward, Gilbee, Hargrave, Akermanis, Hahn, Hill and a number of others that haven't performed well when we've needed them to. Barry has done his bit whereas others have fallen off.
    To me he has hidden the true extent of our decline.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    Yep. He hasn't necessarily made us a better team, but he has stopped us from becoming a worse team.

Post Thanks / Like

No, we are a worse side now. He has kept us in the top 4, but his addition and our focus on delivering him the ball has cost us.

It is difficult to say recruiting Hall was a mistake - his efforts and individual stats have been outstanding - but our team has struggled to a point (preliminary final) to which we cruised in each of the past two seasons. Further, his great mark on the boundary late in the game last night was one of the few 'pack' marks he has taken all year - he still wins the most of his footy on the lead.

To me, our recruitment of Barry Hall has been great for Barry Hall and great for the membership numbers/pre-season excitement level at the Western Bulldogs. From a winning footy games perspective though I don't think it has been a great result in anything except the immediate short-term.

Of course, if Barry ramps up his goal-kicking rate in the next two weeks and kicks us into a GF then onto a premiership with bags of 10 and 10, I will be deleting every syllable in the preceding three paragraphs.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

We'd be in massive trouble without him. At the start of the year I hoped he'd be the cream on the cake, but with injury/slide of form he has been the real meat of the team. Without him I doubt we would have made the top 6.

Post Thanks / Like

Weve struggled for a lot of reasons all over the ground, but up forward Hall seems to be the only target because... he is!

no johnson, no acker, no hahn, no hill, no murph! grant doesnt yet demand the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    No, we are a worse side now. He has kept us in the top 4, but his addition and our focus on delivering him the ball has cost us.

It is difficult to say recruiting Hall was a mistake - his efforts and individual stats have been outstanding - but our team has struggled to a point (preliminary final) to which we cruised in each of the past two seasons. Further, his great mark on the boundary late in the game last night was one of the few 'pack' marks he has taken all year - he still wins the most of his footy on the lead.

To me, our recruitment of Barry Hall has been great for Barry Hall and great for the membership numbers/pre-season excitement level at the Western Bulldogs. From a winning footy games perspective though I don't think it has been a great result in anything except the immediate short-term.

Of course, if Barry ramps up his goal-kicking rate in the next two weeks and kicks us into a GF then onto a premiership with bags of 10 and 10, I will be deleting every syllable in the preceding three paragraphs.

Post Thanks / Like

My view is a little different as he has been very good on the field. It is a shame that things haven't fallen in place for the likes of Minson, Higgins, Johnson, Hahn, Ward and Aker. if these guys had of been able to do a full pre season what might have been.

I look to Hall now and say that I'm very happy he came and his done a good job.

What I pose back at you is he really doing enough with the young blokes to bring them on as he will only have one more year left. I would like to think his brought them under his wing and helped them with the demands and riggers of AFL football.

Time will tell.
    BB.

Looking forward - Naughton, Darcy and JUH. It will be the envy of everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper Bulldogs View Post
    b.

What I pose back at you is he really doing enough with the young blokes to bring them on as he will only have one more year left. I would like to think his brought them under his wing and helped them with the demands and riggers of AFL football.

Time will tell.
    Grant in particular has mentioned how good it's been to have Baz to learn from. I could be mistaken, but I think I read Jones saying something similar.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

I'd probably say no, but that we should be. I think he's been sensational for us, and the fact that we've struggled is more of an indictment of others rather than a by-product of his presence. He's more than done his bit, and others have failed to lift their performances. As others have said, we'd be in a world of trouble if he wasn't there.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]