Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Veteran Eagleton repays Bulldogs' faith in him

Samantha Lane - The Age - 13 September

* Just for Mantis!

WHERE the decision to sack one 30-plus midfielder backfired on the Western Bulldogs this year, the retention of another has proved far better placed.

The blond-haired version, Jason Akermanis, might have continued to make headlines after his premature departure from Whitten Oval, but it is the lesser-profile, bald-headed veteran Nathan Eagleton who has continued to win a guernsey and a kick.

Going around for a 13th AFL season has been worth every missed cent for Eagleton who, like Akermanis, was granted that opportunity only after a handful of senior Bulldog teammates also agreed to pay cuts over the off-season to help keep a couple of old-timers on the list. The idea was that it was for the greater good.

Article in full...
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Veteran Eagleton repays Bulldogs' faith in him

I thought some of his defensive intensity was a highlight on the weekend against Sydney, and hopefully he can bring the exact same this week against the Saints. Fight as it's your last chance at the ultimate glory Eagle, and leave nothing behind.

Post Thanks / Like

Good on you, Eagle, always a favourite of mine. His footy smarts are invaluable at finals time.

Post Thanks / Like

"Where the decision to sack one 30-plus midfielder backfired on the Western Bulldogs this year"

"The fact that few will give the pre-season premiers any hope against the Saints is irrelevant, apparently."

What sort of rubbish comments are these?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EJ Smith View Post
    "Where the decision to sack one 30-plus midfielder backfired on the Western Bulldogs this year"

"The fact that few will give the pre-season premiers any hope against the Saints is irrelevant, apparently."

I saw the heading this morning, saw that Sam Lane wrote it and stopped reading after the first paragraph. Just an awful journalist.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EJ Smith View Post

I had to read this tripe a couple of times over to decide whether or not I was still half asleep. How can she honestly make such basic mistakes and be paid?

Why does she get a gig on TV too?

Painful.

Post Thanks / Like

Defensive intensity was good this week from Eagle,

Pity he butchered the ball with no pressure on him repeatedly once again.

Post Thanks / Like

*Yawn*

Post Thanks / Like

She is pretty annoying. Especially on ' Before the game'.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Either way, and whether you like him or not he goes about his business with no fan fare, no pats on the back and he does give it his all (even if he does have deficiencies).

It would be nice if he could break the lines on Saturday, run down the wing and kick a couple.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Either way, and whether you like him or not he goes about his business with no fan fare, no pats on the back and he does give it his all (even if he does have deficiencies).

It would be nice if he could break the lines on Saturday, run down the wing and kick a couple.
    Seconded. I wish we had a seperate forum that banned negativity.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Why does she get a gig on TV too?

She's not a bad sort

Mind-numbingly stupid, but not a bad sort.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OldBulldog View Post
    Seconded. I wish we had a seperate forum that banned negativity.
    We used to. It was called WOOF.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    I saw the heading this morning, saw that Sam Lane wrote it and stopped reading after the first paragraph. Just an awful journalist.
    Could not agree with you any more. Samantha Lane is a horrible journalist, an awful orator and appears to have even less credibility amongst her peers. This is dispite winning the AFLPA's journalist of the year award in 2007. An abomination, I'm sure.

"the decision to sack one 30-plus midfielder backfired on the Western Bulldogs" how exactly? And since when did Akermanis have the gut-running fitness or heart to be a midfielder?

I've tried watching Before the Game a number of times, but it usually ends with me shouting "SPIT IT OUT SAM LANE", and changing the channel to Gardening Australia.