Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hawks get end of 1st round for Brown

Quote Originally Posted by stefoid View Post
    Salary and age is supposed to be the determining factors, so lets hope harbrows management at least cut him a good deal.

The thing about end of the round is that they can use it this year if they want. pick 26.

Next year, the pick at the end will be 18, and the years after that, pick 19. (extra teams in the comp)

Would you take 26 now in a (supposedly) deep draft, or wait for the pick to drop back to 18 or 19 in subsequent years and hope those years were just as good?

big decision for hawks
    How is the draft deep? The GC have already snatched one third of the best players, and nothing I have seen of the U18s this year suggests they are as good as 2008, or even 2009.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stefoid View Post
    Salary and age is supposed to be the determining factors, so lets hope harbrows management at least cut him a good deal.

The thing about end of the round is that they can use it this year if they want. pick 26.

Next year, the pick at the end will be 18, and the years after that, pick 19. (extra teams in the comp)

Would you take 26 now in a (supposedly) deep draft, or wait for the pick to drop back to 18 or 19 in subsequent years and hope those years were just as good?

big decision for hawks
    Won't GWS get the same draft concession next year as GC got this year?

And why is this year a deep draft? I would think it would be the opposite.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Are their any implications for us with the Harbrow compensation pick and the use of the two possible picks for Tom and Mitch if opposition Clubs happen to nominate them as first round selections ? Would we be obliged to use the possible first round compensation pick and our 'normal' first round pick to gain them both if we chose to use the compensation pick this season ? Hope that makes sense.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    Are their any implications for us with the Harbrow compensation pick and the use of the two possible picks for Tom and Mitch if opposition Clubs happen to nominate them as first round selections ? Would we be obliged to use the possible first round compensation pick and our 'normal' first round pick to gain them both if we chose to use the compensation pick this season ? Hope that makes sense.
    I wouldn't have thought so. We aren't obligated to use any compensatory picks in the first year.
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post
    I wouldn't have thought so. We aren't obligated to use any compensatory picks in the first year.
    Thanks TCD. I appreciate that we aren't obligated to use the pick until 2014, it was more to do with IF we were considering using the compensation pick this year would we be then 'forced' to give it up to pick up Mitch / Tom IF opposing Clubs nominated them as first round selections. Of course if we were obliged to give it up then I would imagine we would hold out for another year or two. I'm just not aware how the compensation pick regulations work together with the regulations pertaining to father son selections which have also changed in recent years.

Post Thanks / Like

Just thought I'd clarify Doc26's question.

Let's say we receive a first round pick for Harbrow, I guess the question is are we obligated to use it to select Wallis or Libba with our 'next available' pick as part of the F/S bidding process.

The answer is no, we aren't.

F/S bidding occurs, as we all know by now, prior to trade week (starts October 4).

If we do wish to avail ourselves of the pick we receive for Harbrow this year, we only have to notify the AFL of that decision at the end of trade week (by which time F/S bidding would have already been determined).

I suppose the best way to explain it is that GC17 have until October 7 to sign players. Say if they announce a signing on October 7 & assume it's Gary Ablett. On October 7 Geelong are the presented with compensatory picks after the F/S bidding process.
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    OMG!

They have to be kidding!

If that sets the bar Geelong will have to get all the draft picks for Ablett.

Harbrow is 5 years younger and already much better, surely we will get more than that.
    I think we get the same compo as Hawthorn did.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bobmurphy View Post
    I think we get the same compo as Hawthorn did.
    Emma Quayle was supposed to have said she thought we were going to get band 2, Hawthorn got band 3.

Band 2 is immediately after our first round pick.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    Emma Quayle was supposed to have said she thought we were going to get band 2, Hawthorn got band 3.

Band 2 is immediately after our first round pick.
    I hope you and Emma are right.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bobmurphy View Post
    I hope you and Emma are right.
    We'd have to be at least one band higher than the Hawks. Harbrow is 5 (?) years younger and will earn around about the same, you would think.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post
    Just thought I'd clarify Doc26's question.

Let's say we receive a first round pick for Harbrow, I guess the question is are we obligated to use it to select Wallis or Libba with our 'next available' pick as part of the F/S bidding process.

The answer is no, we aren't.

F/S bidding occurs, as we all know by now, prior to trade week (starts October 4).

If we do wish to avail ourselves of the pick we receive for Harbrow this year, we only have to notify the AFL of that decision at the end of trade week (by which time F/S bidding would have already been determined).

I suppose the best way to explain it is that GC17 have until October 7 to sign players. Say if they announce a signing on October 7 & assume it's Gary Ablett. On October 7 Geelong are the presented with compensatory picks after the F/S bidding process.
    Thanks TCD.

So the wash up is assuming we do choose to go both Mitch and Tom and then assuming our competition do nominate interest in Mitch and Tom for their Round 1 selections, which i'm sure at least Matthew Drain would oblige with one of them , we effectively forego our 'current' selection 22 (Rd 1) and 40 (Rd 2) to pick them up whilst still holding Harbrow's likely first round compensation pick up our sleeve for use in this National Draft or out to 2014 ? That's my take on the rules anyway.

Would be nice if they incorporated a 'Buy one, Get one free' offer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    Thanks TCD.

So the wash up is assuming we do choose to go both Mitch and Tom and then assuming our competition do nominate interest in Mitch and Tom for their Round 1 selections, which i'm sure at least Matthew Drain would oblige with one of them , we effectively forego our 'current' selection 22 (Rd 1) and 40 (Rd 2) to pick them up whilst still holding Harbrow's likely first round compensation pick up our sleeve for use in this National Draft or out to 2014 ? That's my take on the rules anyway.

Would be nice if they incorporated a 'Buy one, Get one free' offer
    He's unemployed ATM so he isn't a problem.
    The curse is dead.