Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Justin Sherman

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Justin Sherman

We had picken tag Sherman in last years Semi final.. so I'd say the coaches rate Sherman.

I like this move if we get a reasonable trade. He has had 5 years in the system now - and is likely to play his best footy in the next 3-4 years. Certainly has pace we so desperately need. Getting Peake has been a win for St.Kilda - and I think Sherman is a similar - but comfortably better player - who would fit well in the side.

Post Thanks / Like

If Sherman is being considered it would be interesting to work out the maths as to how we would fit him into our TPP. It is understood he has a heavily back ended contract at the Lions and I suspect the Lions would prefer to trade him to a Club that could wear the bulk if not all of this loading assuming they are in as bad a shape financially as has been reported.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alexxx View Post
    Im not saying tambling-specifically, I would rather look for a solid CHB (not sure whos out there) or small crumbing forward, I just don't know Sherman is the answer? But also I haven't seen a lot of Sherman, why is he being thrown up with us, what has he got we need, he's not an in and under player is he? is he the running Outside player?
    Pacy midfielder who knows where the goals are but can be let down by his disposal at times. Will provide run and carry which we have lost through McMahon, Ray, Eagleton etc.

You mentioned a Tambling-type, but I don't think this type fits the mold of a solid CHB or a small crumbing forward.

Richmond tried to make Tambling a rebounding half back flanker, but IMO he is a poor mans Robert Murphy minus the skill, decision making and disposal efficiency. At least with Sherman we get pace and goals, even if he does turn it over a bit. I would play Sherman off a half forward flank.

i really hope we go hard at him and leave Tambling out of the equation.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    If Sherman is being considered it would be interesting to work out the maths as to how we would fit him into our TPP. It is understood he has a heavily back ended contract at the Lions and I suspect the Lions would prefer to trade him to a Club that could wear the bulk if not all of this loading assuming they are in as bad a shape financially as has been reported.
    Good point
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

That would be the only sticking point, the Lions have well & truly buggered things right up there.

The main reason's i'd go Sherman over Tambling is the bigger body, who would stand up when counted more in big games, i could see Sherman the type to not take any crap, stand up for himself, where's a Tambling is very Wallace like, a little bit Jordan McMahon for my liking.

For those questioning Shermans skills, Tambling is terrible around goals, he just seems to freeze up, no thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Pacy midfielder who knows where the goals are but can be let down by his disposal at times. Will provide run and carry which we have lost through McMahon, Ray, Eagleton etc.
    Thanks for the heads up- ill go hunt the internet for the Sherman files later

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mighty_west View Post
    That would be the only sticking point, the Lions have well & truly buggered things right up there.

The main reason's i'd go Sherman over Tambling is the bigger body, who would stand up when counted more in big games, i could see Sherman the type to not take any crap, stand up for himself, where's a Tambling is very Wallace like, a little bit Jordan McMahon for my liking.

For those questioning Shermans skills, Tambling is terrible around goals, he just seems to freeze up, no thanks.
    And makes bad decisions in the back half (like we need more of those), does not know how far or where to run, when to bounce, sells himself into trouble all the time because he simply has B grade awareness etc. he is a BARRY CROCKER and will become the new scapegoat.

Now that Eagleton is gone I'm sure Gia and Hargrave will appreciate his appointment.

Post Thanks / Like

We are getting rid of Johnson, Eagleton, Aker and now Harbrow's salaries, plus possibly Everitt and Hill's. Taking the player payments off Brisbane may make the end of 1st round pick we were given for Harbrow acceptable
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    That would be nice if it ends up like that, but i would probably prefer to use pick 18 on a small forward if a good one is available.
    We can probably try to snare a couple of small forwards with later selections, and with pick 18 we should be able to get a pretty handy player, and definitely think we should look to an outside, goal kicking mid with some toe or as SS said, a key defender such as Watson (although not sure he'll last that long).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gogriff View Post
    We are getting rid of Johnson, Eagleton, Aker and now Harbrow's salaries, plus possibly Everitt and Hill's. Taking the player payments off Brisbane may make the end of 1st round pick we were given for Harbrow acceptable
    Johnno & Eagle were on the vets list, so we're only culling half of their salaries, Aker & Harbrow weren't on alot & even if you take out Everitt & Hill's salaries you have to factor into the equation recent re-signings in Lake, Cooney & Griffen (might be some serious coin there).
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post
    Johnno & Eagle were on the vets list, so we're only culling half of their salaries, Aker & Harbrow weren't on alot & even if you take out Everitt & Hill's salaries you have to factor into the equation recent re-signings in Lake, Cooney & Griffen (might be some serious coin there).
    What about when we also [if we re-sign Mitch Hahn] on a heavily reduced wage as well as put him onto the vets list, and also adding Gilbee on as well?

Post Thanks / Like

Fitting in a B grader that by reports is currently on $800k over the next two years within our TPP is only one part of the consideration / challenge. We still need to have the dollars in the bank to cover off the combined TPP plus vets allowances plus approved marketing allowances. Is all very well if you're Essendon or Collingwood but financially we're not that far removed from where the Lions find themselves. There's also the future we must keep an eye out on when the likes of Cal and Easton also start to demand 400k plus salaries.

Post Thanks / Like

Fitting in a B grader that by reports is currently on $800k over the next two years within our TPP is only one part of the consideration / challenge. We still need to have the dollars in the bank to cover off the combined TPP plus vets allowances plus approved marketing allowances. Is all very well if you're Essendon or Collingwood but financially we're not that far removed from where the Lions find themselves. There's also the future we must keep an eye out on when the likes of Cal and Easton also start to demand 400k plus salaries.
    I think the challenge for any team dealing with Brisbane is how much of Sherman's salary they cover. The team that is prepared to pay the greatest majority of it is likely to get a much better deal from Brisbane.

Not sure if I explained that too well, but say he's on 400K a year & one team says we'll pay $350 of that, Brisbane may be prepared to accept a pick of about 30 & if another team says we'll only pay $250 of his salary, Brisbane might want a pick around 20. Just use those picks/figures as a guide to illustrate my point, forget the actuals as they may be nowhere near right.
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

Can't help but think of American Pie - "The Shermanator"!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post
    I think the challenge for any team dealing with Brisbane is how much of Sherman's salary they cover. The team that is prepared to pay the greatest majority of it is likely to get a much better deal from Brisbane.

Not sure if I explained that too well, but say he's on 400K a year & one team says we'll pay $350 of that, Brisbane may be prepared to accept a pick of about 30 & if another team says we'll only pay $250 of his salary, Brisbane might want a pick around 20. Just use those picks/figures as a guide to illustrate my point, forget the actuals as they may be nowhere near right.
    That's a fair point, and a team may be able to pick him up for unders, but on the flipside, take on most of his wage & cap space he takes up, we may be in decent shape over the next few years with the '99 crop getting onto the vet's list over the next few years, and a big bald bloke would have to be on decent coin as well...