Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

View Poll Results: Replay or Extra Time?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Replay it the following week...

19 54.29%
  • Extra time to decide a winner on the day...

16 45.71%
  • Toss a coin...

0 0%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Replay or Extra Time?

Given what unfolded yesterday, what would fellow Woofer's prefer to happen?

On the side of that, does anyone think Maxwell will/should come under sanction from the AFL for his comments?

I also thought his "never seen two sides go to war like they did today" comment was pretty arrogant. It was a terrific match, and they certainly did go to war, but wow - just came off to me as a little self-serving!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Replay or Extra Time?

Extra time. I would hate to be a supporter of either side. I don't necessarily like Maxwell but we need to cut him some slack. For what it's worth from the outside the saints seem to handle everything better straight after the game.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bobmurphy View Post
    Extra time. I would hate to be a supporter of either side. I don't necessarily like Maxwell but we need to cut him some slack. For what it's worth from the outside the saints seem to handle everything better straight after the game.
    Whilst I agree it would be pretty horrible as a supporter of one of the sides, I'm a traditionalist and prefer the game to be replayed. Events such as St Kilda being an man down get accentuated in extra time I feel.

Fair point on Maxwell - I'm probably too harsh on him, especially given the exhaustion/dis-belief straight after.

Saints very professional and after watching the post-match stuff I felt fairly confident they have the maturity/desire/professionalism to get back up again.

Post Thanks / Like

Not really fussed either way but I think I would opt for sticking with tradition however the following week should be an extra time game if required.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Not really fussed either way but I think I would opt for sticking with tradition however the following week should be an extra time game if required.
    Which is the way it will be next week.

I think there should be a winner. There is so much build up to this one game of the year and to walk away with a draw and have to come back again the following week is a real let down for everyone involved.

The MRP will be interesting this week. I wonder if they'll turn a blind eye to a few players.

Post Thanks / Like

Extra time, it puts everything out logistically.

Post Thanks / Like

Extra time for me, so much goes into preparing for a GF and then to have to do it all over again.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

The AFL make an additional 15M from the replay which is probably why they haven't been too worried about it in the past.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I like the replay, being a bit of a traditionalist, it also gives an additional 40,000 tickets to club members, so alot of hardcore supporters & members who would never have had a chance to goto yesterdays game have a more realistic chance in going.

Post Thanks / Like

I think with AFL games being 80 minutes of game time all year and that being what clubs prepare for that's how long the GF match should last. AFL matches go for 4 quarters and the GF should be the same.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Two questions why extra time for the replay? What happens if West Coast play in a drawn GF? Surely that isn't fair on the interstate club?

Ooops that is 3 questions!

Post Thanks / Like

Extra time pleeeeeeeeease... it's a money-grab for the AFL having to go around again, making the fans cough up more dough. AFL is a game decided on the day, not after a second go. And I don't want to see the Aints and Filth again...
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    I think with AFL games being 80 minutes of game time all year and that being what clubs prepare for that's how long the GF match should last. AFL matches go for 4 quarters and the GF should be the same.
    But the other finals shouldn't?

That's were the argument falls over.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    But the other finals shouldn't?

That's were the argument falls over.
    The other finals go to extra time. Is that what you are questioning?

Post Thanks / Like

Maxwell's comment was kind of understandable, given the adrenaline and emotion he'd have been dealing with...but still arrogant, and over the top. It's a game, Nick...a game that the Pies could have iced by half time, but for their ineptitude in front of goal... War? I think not.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]