Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

View Poll Results: Replay or Extra Time?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Replay it the following week...

19 54.29%
  • Extra time to decide a winner on the day...

16 45.71%
  • Toss a coin...

0 0%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Replay or Extra Time?

Quote Originally Posted by bobmurphy View Post
    The other finals go to extra time. Is that what you are questioning?
    No I know they go to extra time. I questioned hujsh response. Who I did quote.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    No I know they go to extra time. I questioned hujsh response. Who I did quote.
    You quoted the right person. I was just curious re your responce that's all.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    Maxwell's comment was kind of understandable, given the adrenaline and emotion he'd have been dealing with...but still arrogant, and over the top. It's a game, Nick...a game that the Pies could have iced by half time, but for their ineptitude in front of goal... War? I think not.
    Probably shows that they're very worried about next week, St Kilda will coming home hard.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a traditionalist, we've only had two other ties so it's not a common a occurrence. I can feel for the supporters and the players but if it happened to us I would just take it and look forward to the following week.

Maxwell may feel like he did after the game but at the time I thought that St kilda were on top of the play and if it went on longer they may have won.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

You feel for the family of 4 who might have to find about $900 two weeks in a row. I know that would put a huge strain on my budget.

Apart from that I think on balance I prefer extra time, gets it all over & done with.
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

Extra time for me. I had a flat feeling after the game and i hate both teams, so i couldnt even imagine what i wouldve felt like if that had been the dogs out there.

I also think there should be extra time in normal matches as well as all finals.

This isnt soccor, no fan would want to walk out of the game with a no result.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    Extra time pleeeeeeeeease... it's a money-grab for the AFL having to go around again, making the fans cough up more dough. AFL is a game decided on the day, not after a second go. And I don't want to see the Aints and Filth again...
    I like to look at it like this, with the amount of supporters who simply couldn't goto yesterdays game with limited tickets issued to the clubs for their members, also gives them a realistic chance of going to a GF, especially members that do attend most games who simply missed out.

Plus i don't want a game as big & important as a GF decided by some silly golden goal or overtime etc, which is understandable in soccer given how low scoring that game is and highly likely to have draws or ties compared to ours.

Plus, i cringe when people say, but this sport does it and that sport does, so we should, load of bollocks imo, why should we do what other sports do.

Post Thanks / Like

In the cold light of day, I think I would prefer to replay the game. I don't think Maxwell's comments were that bad - in the emotion of the moment, our game is like going out to war/combat - two sides playing and giving their all in search of the cup. IMHO he just spoke from the heart.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post
    You feel for the family of 4 who might have to find about $900 two weeks in a row. I know that would put a huge strain on my budget.

Apart from that I think on balance I prefer extra time, gets it all over & done with.
    Alot of centrelink payments for those Pies supporters

Seriuosly though, I orginally thought stick with tradition, but after this weeks build up and all the Collingwood supporters carrying on, I don't know how I am going to put up with it for another week.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I love some of the unique aspects of our game and the replay of a drawn Grand Final remains one of those. It is quite a rare occurrence and although logistically it poses challenges having one more week to see how the tweaking of selections and tactics play out not to mention watching another ~120mins of elite level football is pretty damn exciting.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post

I like the replay, but I think the AFL should take into account the reduced corporate interest and the cost on families for going to two Grand Finals and reduce ticket prices.

This would be great in that the AFL has already made it's money, and by doing this it makes it more accessible to the fans and rewards them for coming again. I'm not sure if they have actually done this, but I hope they have.

As for drawn games, I like the idea of another Gran Final weekend. Nothing beats a good BBQ and gathering of mates. I think we should leave it all as is. Drawn games in H&A, extra time in finals and replay in the Grand Final. the biggest issue is the repercussions the drawn Granny has on other commitments ie. Travel, best and fairest nights, flights, accommodation etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    I'm a traditionalist, we've only had two other ties so it's not a common a occurrence. I can feel for the supporters and the players but if it happened to us I would just take it and look forward to the following week.
    I would rather a draw than a loss.

If my side was down to 17 fit players (or something) and had to play an extra 10 minutes each way and we LOST, I would be gutted.

Games of Australian footy are rarely drawn at any level - I have coached for 7 years now and been involved in only one. In 15 years of playing senior footy I can remember 3.

Play it again. So what if a few functions have to be rescheduled - who cares.

I would take it further. If the replay was a draw, I would still not play extra time. If you cant be split over 8-quarters of footy, well, that's the way it is. Award two cups. Or award none.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Cut the Cup in Half & have Dual Premiers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    But the other finals shouldn't?

That's were the argument falls over.
    Not necessarily. The other finals have extra time out of necessity because you can't delay the finals by a week and give everyone else the week off. A result is necessary at that time. By the GF there's only two teams and it's the most important match of the year so i see it as a definite replay.

Post Thanks / Like

The Captains of both clubs should unquestionably draw pistols at dusk in the centre square.

Do us all a favour.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.