Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why do we have an annual game that is a thrashing?

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    i fear it was the game that showed what we really are.
    I tend to agree. I genuinely feel that the players went into the thinking they were some sort of chance.

Realistically, it showed were are a mid table type of team, who on their day can match it with some of the top teams as well as drop to the level of the competitions lesser lights.

It's pretty obvious that we need a tall power forward who can a) take a mark or b) create a contest. Look at Cameron Mooney. Not the most gifted footballer going around, but he made our life hell on Friday night. Andrew McDougall would do well to get a tape of the best & worst of Cameron Mooney & analyse what the difference is. Hopefully he can learn something.

Post Thanks / Like

Chris Grant said something interesting on Sunday. His asessement was that we got a little ahead of ourselves as we were fooled into thinking that after the Port Adelaide and Essendon games we were back on track. Grant basically said it was more the fact, how poorly Port and Essendon played, rather than how good we were. Grant went on to say that the team has not really clicked at all this year and they haven't been able to get their game going.

The reason I started this thread was to show that we have had these thrashing each year in the past, but we have bounced back, and its just one of those things in football. Look at West Coast last week, thrashed by 96 points, but once they got a few good players back, they beat Swans this week. However, I am far from confient next week and I don't know which bulldogs team is going to show up, but I will be there to support them.

Post Thanks / Like

True, you can bounce back after a belting but to lose Gilbee and Hahn and possibly Cooney, it's big challenge.

I'll be there on Friday night too but I won't be trotting to the Dome with a spring in my step like I did last Friday.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MsBulldog View Post
    True, you can bounce back after a belting but to lose Gilbee and Hahn and possibly Cooney, it's big challenge.

I'll be there on Friday night too but I won't be trotting to the Dome with a spring in my step like I did last Friday.
    I'll be there also, and we should learn a bit about our resolve, and in some ways where we really are at. If we back that up with another pathetic performance then that will say something. If we play with the intensity, toughness, agression and effort required then that will also tell us something.

On Friday, and for most of the weekend, all seemed loss but the great thing about the game is you get an opportunity every week to atone for your sins. Until that opportunity is not there, and the season ends, I want to see what this group is made of.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by firstdogonthemoon View Post
    I dont reckon Eade talked people into expecting more, I think he genuinely thought we were better than we showed on Friday. He would be v dissapointed but he said that was the worst game he has seen us play.

I think we talked ourselves into it - none of the Age tipsters tipped us - and for once they were all right. Hard to say it is the media when stuff like that happens.

All of the people whose opinions I value (some of whom post here) thought we would win or come close.

I dont think we are total rubbish - but I think the difference between our best and our worst is way too big. At our best we are a top four side - but obviously you have to do that for 22 rounds and not 11. Consistency seems to be our main problem.

We can argue about who we should have where, but what kills us is the errors. Not the risk taking but the poor decision making. We made loads of errors against the bombers, but they didnt hurt us.

We made loads of errors against the cats and it killed us.

Maybe we need to go back to basic skills class - I hate to point out specific players but I am gobsmacked by some of the mistakes Jordy makes often. Eagleton too has made some shockers, and I would have his children if he was single and I was a woman and I was single and was attracted to him.

And Darcy! Four clangers in four minutes or something.

It is a cultural thing to go into your shell when things get hard.

Maybe it is that our Leadership group who arent giving the kind of leadership that is needed. Not that what they are providing is wrong, just not right.

A fish rots from the head.
    You have summed it up pretty well.

The expectation that we had before Friday's nights game I thought I was justified. After a very poor performance against the Kangaroos we had shown some improvement since. We went back to our old ways on Friday against Geelong and it sucked. When the going gets tough the players try and protect there own arse's by chasing easy kicks rather than doing the tough team-orientated things which the good teams do.

I would think that most of our players who play regularly in our team should be on notice over the coming weeks. It's pretty obvious that many of these and I'm talking about the players older than say 23 are not going to make us a better team. The leadership as you have suggested is poor at best, the middle tier have not stepped up and that is the reason why we aren't progressing as a team.

Eade has to make some tough decisions come post season, I think he has enough evidence now that many of our players aren't mentally tough enough. For the team to progress we have to make changes to the list and bring into the team players who will do these team things, players who will follow his instructions. players who turn up to play regardless and players who have the burning desire to achieve something during there footy career rather than just make enough easy coin to live off. If Eade continues to stick with many of these players he will fall by the wayside like many coaches have done in the past.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    You have summed it up pretty well.

The expectation that we had before Friday's nights game I thought I was justified. After a very poor performance against the Kangaroos we had shown some improvement since. We went back to our old ways on Friday against Geelong and it sucked. When the going gets tough the players try and protect there own arse's by chasing easy kicks rather than doing the tough team-orientated things which the good teams do.

I would think that most of our players who play regularly in our team should be on notice over the coming weeks. It's pretty obvious that many of these and I'm talking about the players older than say 23 are not going to make us a better team. The leadership as you have suggested is poor at best, the middle tier have not stepped up and that is the reason why we aren't progressing as a team.

Eade has to make some tough decisions come post season, I think he has enough evidence now that many of our players aren't mentally tough enough. For the team to progress we have to make changes to the list and bring into the team players who will do these team things, players who will follow his instructions. players who turn up to play regardless and players who have the burning desire to achieve something during there footy career rather than just make enough easy coin to live off. If Eade continues to stick with many of these players he will fall by the wayside like many coaches have done in the past.
    Boy one game and we have blown the season?? Thats how we all feel, but I am the eternal optimist and believe we still have a big chance for the finals.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Boy one game and we have blown the season?? Thats how we all feel, but I am the eternal optimist and believe we still have a big chance for the finals.

Not one game. There have been games scattered throughout the last 3 seasons where we have seriously let ourselves down. Do you want me to go through all of them for you?

So what if we make the finals, I don't just want to make the finals I want to contend for a premiership. Do you really think we are building a team that can win a flag in the not to distant future? I would like to hope so, but realistically I can't see it happening. We have to many players who under-perform in crunch games. Until we start getting an even contribution each and every week from the entire team we are still a million miles away from being a premiership threat.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    So what if we make the finals, I don't just want to make the finals I want to contend for a premiership. Do you really think we are building a team that can win a flag in the not to distant future? I would like to hope so, but realistically I can't see it happening. We have to many players who under-perform in crunch games. Until we start getting an even contribution each and every week from the entire team we are still a million miles away from being a premiership threat.
    Eade stated at the start of the season, the aim is to make the finals. His assessment is that teams that win premierships, play finals foootball for a number of years before they win a premiership. Its not just so what, its experience playing in finals and the pressure of the game.

If you also look at the teams that have won a premiership, they most often have a season with very few injuries. Injuries are not just an excuse, its a fact that take out some of your best players and most teams struggle. We still need to develop this team alot further before we can challenge for the big one, but on their day, this team can beat any one, however, as you say, we have to be more consistent.