Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Dogs sniffing deals

SYDNEY forward Patrick Veszpremi is the latest name linked to the Western Bulldogs as the club sets its sights on several ready-made recruits.
    Veszpremi joins Brisbane Lion Justin Sherman, Carlton's Andrew Walker and Geelong's Nathan Djerrkura on the Dogs' list of possibles heading into next week's trade period.

Although Bulldogs football manager James Fantasia yesterday delivered a firm "no comment" on Veszpremi, the young forward has sparked interest at Whitten Oval.

Veszpremi, 21, was the Swans' first draft pick in 2007 (No. 11 overall), but he could not win a regular senior role under coach Paul Roos.

Also hampered by injury, he managed just one game this year for a total of 11 over three years at the Swans.

Veszpremi is under contract, but is almost certain to be on the trade table when talks kick off on Tuesday. The Swans have indicated they will be active again and the forward wants a fresh start.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.
    .End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.
    While Veszpremi may be bound for Whitten Oval, Brett Montgomery is definitely about to lob at the club.

He was yesterday appointed an assistant coach at the Dogs, three weeks after leaving Carlton
    http://www.heraldsun.com.au/ipad-app...-1225932003341
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dogs sniffing deals

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    SYDNEY forward Patrick Veszpremi is the latest name linked to the Western Bulldogs as the club sets its sights on several ready-made recruits.
    Veszpremi joins Brisbane Lion Justin Sherman, Carlton's Andrew Walker and Geelong's Nathan Djerrkura on the Dogs' list of possibles heading into next week's trade period.

Although Bulldogs football manager James Fantasia yesterday delivered a firm "no comment" on Veszpremi, the young forward has sparked interest at Whitten Oval.

Veszpremi, 21, was the Swans' first draft pick in 2007 (No. 11 overall), but he could not win a regular senior role under coach Paul Roos.

Also hampered by injury, he managed just one game this year for a total of 11 over three years at the Swans.

Veszpremi is under contract, but is almost certain to be on the trade table when talks kick off on Tuesday. The Swans have indicated they will be active again and the forward wants a fresh start.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.
    .End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.
    While Veszpremi may be bound for Whitten Oval, Brett Montgomery is definitely about to lob at the club.

He was yesterday appointed an assistant coach at the Dogs, three weeks after leaving Carlton
    http://www.heraldsun.com.au/ipad-app...-1225932003341
    Please NO!!!

Have a look at the 2008 final when he went down and CRIED after losing a contest with Tiller.

SoftPremi - Margarine Boy - Not hard enough for butter

Makes Jordy McMahon look tough

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    Please NO!!!

Have a look at the 2008 final when he went down and CRIED after losing a contest with Tiller.

SoftPremi - Margarine Boy - Not hard enough for butter

Makes Jordy McMahon look tough
    Did he actually start crying or are you having a lend of us?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Did he actually start crying or are you having a lend of us?

If you can get a look at the replay, you will see that he went down and STAYED down after a minor contact with Tiller.

The trainers helped him from the ground and the commentators suggested he had incurred a serious injury. He dragged his legs as he was assisted from the ground and looked to be crying.

He subsequently returned to the ground and could not jump out of the way quick enough when Lake came charging through to gather a ball that SoftPremi should have put is body in and gathered.

Post Thanks / Like

A number of senior Bulldogs players put up less than stellar efforts at times this year. If he's talented and prepared to work hard, I'm willing to forgive one incident from two years ago.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    A number of senior Bulldogs players put up less than stellar efforts at times this year. If he's talented and prepared to work hard, I'm willing to forgive one incident from two years ago.

The effort from Softpremi was repeated within about 10 mins.

Beyond not putting the body on the line. He actually step aside to let the opponent get the ball.

Unforgiveable as far as I am concerned. Do we really want a shorter version of Patrick Bowden.

Post Thanks / Like

The effort from Softpremi was repeated within about 10 mins.

Beyond not putting the body on the line. He actually step aside to let the opponent get the ball.
    Yep, not good enough.

BUT....

Gilbee did similar things this year. Gia was brushed away with ease by a rookie in the first final.

Unforgiveable as far as I am concerned. Do we really want a shorter version of Patrick Bowden.
    I’m not prepared to hang a kid based on one game in 2008. If the price is right, he’s prepared to work his butt off, and the footy department thinks he will add value then I’m willing to accept it.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Yep, not good enough.

BUT....

Gilbee did similar things this year. Gia was brushed away with ease by a rookie in the first final.

I’m not prepared to hang a kid based on one game in 2008. If the price is right, he’s prepared to work his butt off, and the footy department thinks he will add value then I’m willing to accept it.
    I have not seen a Bulldog player provide an effort like Softpremi since Patrick Bowden departed.
    Was not a matter of being brushed aside he actually jumped out of the way of Lake.

Post Thanks / Like

If can't get a game with the Swans (and their hard at it team ethic) and is injury prone, alarm bells should be ringing.

Post Thanks / Like

Please NO!!!

You're going to condemn a bloke's entire career over one incident? In his first year of AFL football? When he made the best 22 of a team playing finals?

Bryce Gibbs would have been cut from Carlton's list under the same criteria, and Gia wouldn't have lasted past his first season.

I'm more interested in what he could do for us rather than just panning one incident from an 18/19 year old.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by metal View Post
    If can't get a game with the Swans (and their hard at it team ethic) and is injury prone, alarm bells should be ringing.
    Doesn't always pan out like that. Sometimes all a player needs is a second opportunity, different training regime, different players, different game plan etc...

There have been heaps over the years who have made the most of a second chance, just look at David Rodan.
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by metal View Post
    If we use that as an example, Geelong would not have picked up Tom Harley.
    In reply to Bulldog Joe on Soft premi. I once saw Scott West (early in his career) duck his head in a contest at Waverley. See how things can change?

Post Thanks / Like

Monty returns again as assistant coach.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desipura View Post
    If we use that as an example, Geelong would not have picked up Tom Harley.
    In reply to Bulldog Joe on Soft premi. I once saw Scott West (early in his career) duck his head in a contest at Waverley. See how things can change?
    The occasional duck often looks worse than it is and is often due to being caught unaware.

It is entirely different to making a conscious effort to get out of the way.

What I saw in SoftPremi is the same as I saw in Patrick Bowden and I knew to be part of the make up of Jesse Wells (from my home town).

All solid boys without the fortitude to put their bodies in the contest and all found out when they moved from juniors to playing against men.

Look if the club does pick him up I will still support the club, but I will be amazed if he makes it. I did post in 2008 that he would not make it despite a lot of people being impressed by his first season.

He is also seen as injury prone, but I believe that is part of his lack of hardness. Just cannot imagine him playing sore, as most are required to do on a regular basis.

Post Thanks / Like

Time will tell I guess. I would not condemn him on one incident as there are many more examples like:

When Darcy went down at Telstra Dome as it was and went off on a stretcher.
    I thought he did his knee then came back to the bench 15 minutes later doing short sprints.
    Came back on the ground shortly after and played out the game without any discomfort.

The Garry Lyon incident when he went off on a stretcher holding his back and appeared to be crying. (it used to get alot of airplay even as recent as a few years ago).
    Veszpremi is a left footer, something we have a shortage of, I am willing to give him a chance if he comes to us.